Trunk light fuse? Need help, not working

so in summary, you can replace the light with an LED module, you just need to disconnect the car battery first to stop the short from happening?

so in summary, you can replace the light with an LED module, you just need to disconnect the car battery first to stop the short from happening?

Do not have to disconnect the battery. Follow the instructions on p. 6-48 of the OM, which cautions to disconnect the wires from the bulb housing BEFORE removing/replacing the bulb.

Thank you for this thread. Apparently I am experiencing the same issue after inappropriate led bulb installation....

Is there an option to replace the faulty module myself ? Did anyone try it ?

Where is it located ?

Thank you for this thread. Apparently I am experiencing the same issue after inappropriate led bulb installation....

Is there an option to replace the faulty module myself ? Did anyone try it ?

Where is it located ?

I believe it is in the left tail-light area...

From FSM:

"REAR BODY CONTROL MODULE (RBCM) REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
CAUTION:
NOTE:
1. When replacing the rear body control module (RBCM), perform the configuration. (See REAR BODY CONTROL MODULE (RBCM) CONFIGURATION (USING READ/WRITE FUNCTION).)
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0, SKYACTIV-G 2.5].)
3. Remove the following parts:
Trunk board (See TRUNK BOARD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
Trunk end trim (See TRUNK END TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
Rear scuff plate (LH) (See REAR SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.) Trunk side trim (LH) (See TRUNK SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
4. Disconnect the connectors shown in the figure.
If configuration is not performed when the rear body control module (RBCM) is replaced with a new one, the vehicle specification information is not stored in the rear body control module (RBCM) and the system will not operate normally.
When performing configuration, it is necessary to read the vehicle specification information from the rear body control module (RBCM) before replacing it. Connect the M-MDS to the vehicle and perform vehicle identification before removing the rear body control module (RBCM). The vehicle specification information is temporarily stored in the M-MDS.
The rear body control module (RBCM) prior to replacement stores the vehicle specification information.
A new rear body control module (RBCM) does not store any vehicle specification information.
If the vehicle specification information from the rear body control module (RBCM) prior to replacement cannot be read, perform the configuration using As-Built data."

How the heck does something blow up just from trying to replace the trunk light to an LED one? Did you guys short circuit it or something?
I replaced most of the interior lights with LEDs almost right away when I got my CX-5 last year. Front dome lights, middle dome lights, trunk light.
You got to be really diligent if you disconnect the battery every time when replacing light bulbs. I never disconnected the battery, but after reading threads like this I hope I remember to disconnect the battery next time I need to replace the light.

Kedis, thanks a lot for you reply , this makes me realize that i have to take it to the workshop... now way i am doing this by myself. and to think that it all start by a 4$ led bulb... (just because i wanted more light in the trunk... damn it)

hp79 - i installed the bulb few months ago, it was perfectly fine throughout this period and just noticed it stopped working.. i tried few bulbs, incandescent and led, none seem to work. reading some threads here brought me to the probable painful conclusion that this is the short circuit in the rear body control module.

slim chances warranty will cover this ...

one last question please to this thread:

are there any effects by the short circuit other than the trunk light not working ??

i am considering putting some clip-on led light with sensor , batteries operated..

Last edited:
why ?

(the trunk light is not 'fuzed')

people here already been through this process and found nothing wrong with the fuze

Disconnecting the battery is a great idea for Ham Fisted people. They were warned and now blame the manufacture for their screw-up. ed

Disconnecting the battery is a great idea for Ham Fisted people. They were warned and now blame the manufacture for their screw-up. ed

True.
People should read the owners manual.
Manual says to disconnect the electrical connector when replacing bulb.Page 6-48.

Last edited:
erhayes, i am blaming no one but myself...as nimble and knowledgeable as i may be, i probably did something wrong when installing the led bulb.

that said, it looks like short circuiting a 250$ module because of an unprotected light bulb does not look to me like a good wiring practice..

oddly enough, the module is not far from the fuel filler pipe. short circuit and fuel fumes do not mix well i guess.

one last question please to this thread:

are there any effects by the short circuit other than the trunk light not working ??

i am considering putting some clip-on led light with sensor , batteries operated..

erhayes, i am blaming no one but myself...as nimble and knowledgeable as i may be, i probably did something wrong when installing the led bulb.

that said, it looks like short circuiting a 250$ module because of an unprotected light bulb does not look to me like a good wiring practice..

oddly enough, the module is not far from the fuel filler pipe. short circuit and fuel fumes do not mix well i guess.

It does seem like a stupid module set up.Especially when it seems just the cargo bulb is the only thing that was affected when module is blown.

I poked around a little bit and it looks like their is a work around for those with a blown module. The light is controlled by a "Cargo Compartment light switch" located near the latch. It has a yellow wire that goes to ground and a red wire that goes to the RBCM (Module.) The Cargo Compartment light switch has two wires. A red wire goes to the module and gets 12 volts. This 12 volts is not switched in the module. and is probably still there with a damaged module. You can check it with a meter. The White wire goes to the module. and is switched in the module using a MOSFET. I suspect this solid state switch is what is blown.

SO. You could cut the cargo compartment light switch red wire. Cut the Cargo compartment light White wire. Connect a wire between the cut wire from the switch (red) and the wire from the light (white) and your light should work again. If you do this and it works I would then cut the red wire to the bulb and install a .5 amp fuse in line Otherwise you are back to the no fuse but the 15 amp going to the module.

What do you lose? I think all you lose is the automatic shut off after 30 minutes.

I have not tried this. My module is not bad so I am not going to.

Last edited:
wow !! Finally - a workaround !

did anyone try it ?

Fdew - please let me see if i understood you correctly : by 10 minutes shut off, do you mean that if i leave the trunk open for more than 10 minutes, the light will go off ?

wow !! Finally - a workaround !

did anyone try it ?

Fdew - please let me see if i understood you correctly : by 10 minutes shut off, do you mean that if i leave the trunk open for more than 10 minutes, the light will go off ?

I had to look it up. If any interior light is left on with the engine off (Example, you leave the hatch open overnight) the light will go out in 30 min to save the battery. You would lose this feature.

Ok, so for some reason I keep wording this wrong. Let me try again.

Light has two wires
Red wire to rbcm. 12 volts
White wire to Rbcm. Switched ground. The part that fails.

Switch.
Yellow to ground
Red to rbcm to control the light.

So. Cut the white from the light to the rbcm and cut the red from the switch to the ebcm

Connect the white from the light and the red from the switch together.

Sorry I wasn't clear

FDEW, you ROCK !!

thanks a lot for making this crystal clear now. i promise to update with results once i get to it.

Hi, before I proceed with this mod, another related question please: I noticed that the warning light in the dashboard saying "door open" is turned on when I open the trunk, like it would do when I open any of the doors...

Now here is the question: if I cut the red wire from the trunk switch, the one that goes to the RBCM, and connect it to the white wire from the trunk light, won't it let the module think that the door is open and hence the warning light at the dashboard be turned on constantly ??

Last edited:
Back