Trunk light forgotten?

bbtfastback

:
2016 CX-5 GT Tech
So came home after a long drive and opened the trunk at night of my 2016 cx5. There was no trunk light to speak of. Couldn't see a thing back there.

Unless I missed a light somewhere, what are the best mods out there to add trunk lighting??

Cheers!

They moved it from previous models. After you open the hatch, look up!

So came home after a long drive and opened the trunk at night of my 2016 cx5. There was no trunk light to speak of. Couldn't see a thing back there.
Unless I missed a light somewhere, what are the best mods out there to add trunk lighting??
Yeah you did miss it. The trunk light is located on the liftgate penal instead of the usual place on the ceiling. Since you didn't see the light hence it could get switched off or the bulb could be burned out.

Once I replaced all the interior lights with white LED's, the trunk space is now very well lit up now. That dull yellow factory bulb wasn't cutting it.

Once I replaced all the interior lights with white LED's, the trunk space is now very well lit up now. That dull yellow factory bulb wasn't cutting it.
What kind of interior LED's you're getting? Is it true you have to be caution while putting in the truck LED as it's not protected by a fuse?

Ok found the trunk light in the door. Thanks for the heads "up" (get it??) ;)

I don't find the light powerful enough but find the other lights in the car more than adequate. Which size bulb am I looking for the trunk light?

Ok found the trunk light in the door. Thanks for the heads "up" (get it??) ;)

I don't find the light powerful enough but find the other lights in the car more than adequate. Which size bulb am I looking for the trunk light?
So the trunk light got switched off or the bulb was burned? For brighter lighting in trunk, I believe those LED's people mentioned is the best solution. Just be aware the trunk light is not fuse protected and you might damage an expensive module if you're not careful when you replace the trunk light bulb.

I bought this and love it. Includes trunk light and license plate lights. Very satisfied with the purchase.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
↓↓↓ I went with this kit as well. ↓↓↓
Saw someone in Amazon said that: "... The only little problem that I had was when I put the 2 bulbs in the license plate area the brightness of the new bulbs made the back up monitor have a slight glare to it and was a littlie difficult to see what was behind you. I left the bulbs in mostly because I do not drive that much at night." Do you two have similar experience on this?

I think it was the result of a poor install or something. I've been using this for past 3 weeks and it works flawlessly. No issues whatsoever with back up monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't really notice any issues with the backup camera, with these LED's.

I ordered mine today so I can't tell if they negatively impact the clarity of the rear view, but if they do, I will keep the stock license plate bulbs and only replace the interior lights which is the only reason I bought them. Making my license plate more visible at night is the least of my concerns.

So the trunk light got switched off or the bulb was burned? For brighter lighting in trunk, I believe those LED's people mentioned is the best solution. Just be aware the trunk light is not fuse protected and you might damage an expensive module if you're not careful when you replace the trunk light bulb.

It was "off"...

How do I protect the module?

What steps should I take?

Beginning to think it isn't worth the risk.

It was "off"...
How do I protect the module?
What steps should I take?
Beginning to think it isn't worth the risk.
If you're going to replace the trunk light bulb, there is a risk as the light is not fused and it may damage the module. So it doesn't matter whether the replacement is incandescent bulb or LED.

This How to Change Interior Light bulbs w/pics thread will tell you how to do it.
The manual tells you how to disconnect the light fixture and switch from the cable in the trunk area. It was pretty easy, just make sure the wire does not fall back into the paneling. Replace the bulb, re-connect the fixture, make sure the light works, if not, disconnect and switch around the terminals, then repeat, connect, test, and re-install. This is what I did and the trunk is significantly brighter, used the same blubs in the interior area and it made a big difference.

And has anybody tried this eBay 11-piece LED kit? Amazon's is 9-piece LED kit.

I picked these up and put them in... What a huge difference! I don't think I have step/courtesy lights though, unless they're blown. Anyone know if the 2013 GT has them and if so where they're located? I checked the bottom side of the door panel and didn't see anything...
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Yeah, I don't really notice any issues with the backup camera, with these LED's.
I ordered mine today so I can't tell if they negatively impact the clarity of the rear view, but if they do, I will keep the stock license plate bulbs and only replace the interior lights which is the only reason I bought them. Making my license plate more visible at night is the least of my concerns.
Please do report back after the installation on this Amazon LED kit. Make sure to disconnect the cable for trunk light while replacing the bulb.

Latest posts

Back