Transmission drain/fill plus external filter install with pics

After doing a little more research, I have decided I am going to use the access points in this post to do a flush. Draining and refilling doesn't do anywhere near a complete job. One must get at the old fluid in the torque converter, valve body, and cooler as well. I have done this before on other cars. I am willing to try it here and will post back. I will buy 10 quarts to have on hand. Open the top access hole and add a tube/funnel to be able to refill. Drain the current fluid, plug, and refill with the same amount. Then take the return line, disconnect it and extend the end from the cooler into a bucket. Two people are necessary at this point. Start the engine and keep the fill tube/funnel filled to roughly match what the trans is pumping out. While running have the transmission selector moved through the positions. Once the fluid come out clear, stop the car, reinstall return line and finish filling the trans with the same amount that was pumped out. 100% flush.

You method sounds like it would work well.

The drain/fill method won't get all the old fluid out, but if you do it a few times(with driving a few 100 miles between each drain/fill), you can get over 95% of the old fluid out by doing it 4+ times. Essentially you're diluting the old fluid with each change. It'll never be perfect, but it's very simple and can be done in less time than it takes to do an oil change and better than leaving the original fluid in for the life of the vehicle.

Back