2014 CX-9 Transmission fluid looks like dirty oil

VegasGMC`

:
2014 CX-9 Touring
I have a 2014 with 77k miles. I drained the fluid and it looked like old oil but it didn't smell burned. I've never seen trans fluid that was brown. Is this normal for a Mazda? It was shifting fine except 1-2 could be a little rough sometimes. I don't believe in long life fluids so I change them early on all vehicles. I used 7 qts of Mobil 3309. Shifts perfectly now but the fluid was still dark when I set the level so I might do another change.

I have a 2014 with 77k miles. I drained the fluid and it looked like old oil but it didn't smell burned. I've never seen trans fluid that was brown. Is this normal for a Mazda? It was shifting fine except 1-2 could be a little rough sometimes. I don't believe in long life fluids so I change them early on all vehicles. I used 7 qts of Mobil 3309. Shifts perfectly now but the fluid was still dark when I set the level so I might do another change.
May be it’s too late, but mixing some aftermarket ATF with Mazda OEM ATF isn’t a good idea IMO. You can only drain about a half of the ATF and the other half stays in the torque converter and valve body which can’t be drained. The only proper way to replace entire ATF with different brand is to use a commercial ATF flush machine, but that’s not applicable to newer gen-2 CX-9 with SkyActiv-Drive transmission.

Vegas, what fluid is specified for your 2014? Is that a Ford transmission? If so, does it take one of the Mercon fluids? The 3309 is the spec that is also known at Toyota T-IV. You want a fluid that either IS the original spec or listed by the fluid maker as "suitable for..." that spec fluid. Valvoline Maxlife is one highly regarded multi-vehicle ATF that is suitable for many fluids.

You might consider installing a Magnefine in-line filter in the cooler line to the transmission cooler. It is a filter with a magnet. Get the size that matches the inside diameter of the cooler line, either 5/16" or 3/8". The filter along with new fluid will do a good job of cleaning up the fluid. I've also had good results installing a 1/2" Magnefine filter in the fluid return line to the power steering.

These are made in Japan and use Aisin transmissions with the T-IV fluid. Fords use Ford transmissions that use Mercon fluid. They also have a dipstick and normal drain plug. When I took out the small drain plug the trans was at operating temp but a lot of fluid came out. I'm wondering if it was over filled at the factory. My moms Sienna has an Aisin and I was able to do a fluid exchange using the cooler lines but I couldn't fine and similar info for Mazdas. I think I'll do another fluid change.

These are made in Japan and use Aisin transmissions with the T-IV fluid. Fords use Ford transmissions that use Mercon fluid. They also have a dipstick and normal drain plug. When I took out the small drain plug the trans was at operating temp but a lot of fluid came out. I'm wondering if it was over filled at the factory. My moms Sienna has an Aisin and I was able to do a fluid exchange using the cooler lines but I couldn't fine and similar info for Mazdas. I think I'll do another fluid change.
You’re correct. The owner’s manual of 2014 Mazda CX-9 states that the ATF uses Mazda Genuine JWS3309.

0D47227A-C271-4D55-8A62-1A6E63683A16.jpeg

1EF8B9BF-52FD-4267-9FD3-903407D2E15E.jpeg

And “Mobil ATF 3309 is recommended for use in transmissions requiring fluids of JWS 3309 or GM 9986195 quality levels. It is also recommended for service fill applications where Toyota T-IV or T4, T-III or T3 are called for.”

Back