Trans cooler installed

So if you follow that thinking, the transmission would pump the fluid into the low mounted cooler because it is downhill.

BUT!

It's then uphill back to the transmission.

Regardless, the transmission is more than capable of pumping the fluid. Anyone that has done the DIY transmission flush knows that the fluid comes out very quickly- even with the motor at idle.

And to update this install: I've since completely bypassed the factory cooler in the radiator and run all the fluid through the aux cooler. I run it this way year round. 100 degree weather in the summer to sub-zero weather in the winter.

Hey guys , new here to the forum . I have a 2000 1.6 liter I got it new and gonna put a cooler on my transmission . What is an easy way to find the "pusher" line ( line taking fluid away from tranny to the radiator) and the return line ? I dont want to do it the messy way and unhook each one and see which one squirts and sucks . Any ideas ?
By the way , the pics in this thread from Tom is awesome .

A bit of advise, keep an eye on the radiator and condenser. I installed one with this method, and it took about 150k miles, but eventually the foam spacers degraded, and the cooler rubbed some nice holes in my condenser. I've since mounted it to the upper radiator support where nothing can rub. I was never a fan of 'skewering'.

When I installed one on my last car I just bypassed the stock cooler all together and capped lines off for it because I didnt want any extra fluid that was left in the stock cooler to leak out.

My reasoning for that was becuase I didnt see the point to put a nice big cooler for the trans to cool the fluid, just to send it through the stock one which doesnt do a whole lot of cooling since it is in the radiator.

A bit of advise, keep an eye on the radiator and condenser. I installed one with this method, and it took about 150k miles, but eventually the foam spacers degraded, and the cooler rubbed some nice holes in my condenser. I've since mounted it to the upper radiator support where nothing can rub. I was never a fan of 'skewering'.
Yeah, I've been a little concerned about that as well. I hope to not have this car in 150k miles though.

Back