Traded Up

mihalis

After going to the dealer where I bought my CX-9 (down the street from my house) and sitting there for almost 3 hours and not getting anywhere in terms of a deal, I decided to try another dealer 40 miles from me. They had the identical car I was looking for (2012 CX-9 Touring, Dolphin Grey with Tan, Bose/Moonroof, powerliftgate w/ back-up camera, roof rack), and we worked out a deal there. So, out with the 2009, and in with the 2012! For those of you wondering, I got $6,550 off the MSRP ($36,952), and $14,500 for my trade (spec in my sig, with 74,500 miles, other dealer was at $13K). Oh, also got to keep my snow tires and my all season mats!

At the end of the day, it was a pretty good deal, plus I love the upgrades they have done compared to mine.

After going to the dealer where I bought my CX-9 (down the street from my house) and sitting there for almost 3 hours and not getting anywhere in terms of a deal, I decided to try another dealer 40 miles from me. They had the identical car I was looking for (2012 CX-9 Touring, Dolphin Grey with Tan, Bose/Moonroof, powerliftgate w/ back-up camera, roof rack), and we worked out a deal there. So, out with the 2009, and in with the 2012! For those of you wondering, I got $6,550 off the MSRP ($36,952), and $14,500 for my trade (spec in my sig, with 74,500 miles, other dealer was at $13K). Oh, also got to keep my snow tires and my all season mats!

At the end of the day, it was a pretty good deal, plus I love the upgrades they have done compared to mine.

A great way to get a great deal--the more dealers you reach out to, the more likely you will find a better deal.

Congrats.

Nice Car! Drive it S-L-O-W and proud past your old dealer every day. (fuoops)

Personally, I would have traded up to the "new look" 2013, but I don't know what kind of deals they offered.

So is this an AWD too? Did you keep the old tow hitch?

It appears you dumped the old car just as the extended warranty was ending. Excellent timing! Did you skip buying one this time?

Keep an eye on your MPG's and note any differences for us. Should be interesting.

Nice Car! Drive it S-L-O-W and proud past your old dealer every day. (fuoops)

Personally, I would have traded up to the "new look" 2013, but I don't know what kind of deals they offered.

So is this an AWD too? Did you keep the old tow hitch?

It appears you dumped the old car just as the extended warranty was ending. Excellent timing! Did you skip buying one this time?

Keep an eye on your MPG's and note any differences for us. Should be interesting.

Yeah, will certainly do so. I saw the 2013's there, but the differences were not all that appealing to go there, plus, the discounts were not nearly as good either. Yes, this one is AWD as well and no, the tow hitch stays with the car (as it took me 3+hours to install, I rather just buy a new one).

Yeah, extended warranty ended at 72K, and due to my experience, no extended warranty this time. I will definitely be checking the MPG's, as this one is supposed to be 1mpg better than mine, we'll see :)

I just did the same thing. I traded in my 08 GT with about 76k on it for a 2012 GT with everything except the tow hitch. I wasn’t planning on doing this, but the transfer case on my 08 went and they told me it would be a few weeks until I could get a new one. They took about $7k off the 2012 and gave me $14,500 for my trade in. Now I have brand new CX9 with 4wd that actually works. It helps in the winter. I’m in MA too.

Discounts were about 2x what I saw last year when it was new.

As far as trade ins go, how did you guys make out on the balance owed on the old car?

I just did the same thing. I traded in my 08 GT with about 76k on it for a 2012 GT with everything except the tow hitch. I wasnt planning on doing this, but the transfer case on my 08 went and they told me it would be a few weeks until I could get a new one. They took about $7k off the 2012 and gave me $14,500 for my trade in. Now I have brand new CX9 with 4wd that actually works. It helps in the winter. Im in MA too.

Yeah, I tried the GT first with Bose/Moonroof, power liftgate and roof rack, but they would not budge on that one as much, so we moved on to the the Touring, and since I had the Touring already, got to keep my snow tires, which is a huge savings. I wasn't planning on this either, but I saw the TV commercial so I decided to go in. Which dealer were you at? I was at Mazda Gallary, since Sentry (where I purchased the original) would not budge.

As far as trade ins go, how did you guys make out on the balance owed on the old car?

I got $14,500 on mine but I owed $16,800, so I will just roll the balance into my new loan, that was the least of my worries to be honest with you.

Cool, So after four years of hard driving and maxing the warranty, it was worth about half of the original purchase price, at the dealer showroom.

Good frame of reference. Thanks.

I owed about $5k on my 08 when I traded it in. I would have been able to get more for my trade if it didn't need the transfer case.

Yeah, I tried the GT first with Bose/Moonroof, power liftgate and roof rack, but they would not budge on that one as much, so we moved on to the the Touring, and since I had the Touring already, got to keep my snow tires, which is a huge savings. I wasn't planning on this either, but I saw the TV commercial so I decided to go in. Which dealer were you at? I was at Mazda Gallary, since Sentry (where I purchased the original) would not budge.

I was using North Shore Mazda (formerly IRA) to deal with the transfer case issue because they had already replaced one a little over a year ago. I ended up purchasing the 2012 at Lannan Mazda in Lowell, which is much more convenient for me since moving to Andover.

Back