TPMS sensor recognition?

I have a set of winter tires and rims that I intend to use on the Mazda5. I had them on my Mazda3 and kept them when I traded that car for the Mazda5. The problem is that the winter wheel set does not have TPMS sensors and the Mazda5 has TPMS. I don't like the idea of the TPMS light staying lit all winter. I have the opportunity to buy a used set of Mazda OEM TPMS sensors inexpensively. According to the part #s, they match up with those used on the Mazda5. Will the car recognize them and work with them automatically, or is there a programming step that needs to be done to "register" them?

In my experience, no. I bought a used set to run on my Mazdaspeed3 winter wheels and never did anything special to sync them to the car and they've worked perfectly. The car recognized them from day one. Also, no issues with switching back to my stock set in the summer either.

Check your manual.
I just did this last month.

Mazda procedure is to turn the key to "ON" and turn it back to "ACC" for about 15 minutes. Then drive for 10 minutes with speed more than 15 MPH. This considering you buy used TPMS that have been activated or pay someone to activate it the first time. TPMS sensor have a few different mode. They are in standby more during shipping to safe power, diagnostic mode or park/driving mode when it automatically turn on above a certain speed and turn off a few minutes after the car stopped.

So I ended up getting the set of used TPMS sensors (paid $75 for four with all caps and gaskets intact). However, I opted not to install them this season. It would have cost me $130 just to have the tire shop unmount and remount/balance the snow tires in order to install the sensors. Not worth it. So, this winter I'm living with the light on (which is no big deal, really). By next winter I'll have to replace the snow tires anyway as this is their 5th and final season of useable tread, so I'll have the sensors installed when I get new tires.

My understaning of the Mazda TPMS after doing a bunch of research is that they only activate when they are in motion and for the above mentioned mileage duration. They do not need to be activated by any shop procedure.

I have a question about the TPMS sensors. Does anyone know if they are sealed units and once the batteries go dead, you need new sensors?

I know everytime you service the tires (break the beads) they are recommending a service kit that runs for like $7 each. The kit contains new seals and caps.

We have two sets of wheels/tires also, winter & summer. I thought about adding TMPS for the winter set, but it's just not economical. I can drive with the idiot light on for a few months.

The batteries are are 'rechargable' far as I know. When your wheel is in motion, the TPMS uses the centripetal force to create energy, which transmits the radio frequency to the sensor in the wheel well.

The service kit for each TMPS is more of a weatherizing kit than anything else.

OK, I got my hand on one of the sensors and it is a sealed unit.

How are the bateries "rechargable"?

You need a back and forth motion to generate energy.

Back