Toyos Suck...looking for something else

dsulli37

:
2006 Mazda5
I have never been a fan of Goodyear but they have really come out with some innovative stuff lately...especially for SUVs. People have been raving about them. They have some of the same technology on the new Eagle tires. I was looking at the Eagle with Response Edge. THey have the Kevlar inside which really helps with the noise and a carbon fiber sidewall. I don't need super sticky ones cause my wife drives the car but she wants a quieter tire. Has anyone tried a 215/50-17?

i dont have a recommendation, but also agree that toyos suck. mine have plenty of tread left and refuse to hold in anything remotely moist and screech around turns like they are bald. i rotate them regularly and im very disappointed.

Really??? Which models do you guys have? I bought my P5 with Proxes TPT's and love them in the dry and the wet. Even held up pretty well in some light snow and ice. Road noise is decent to boot.

I know my next tires WON'T be Falkens. This is what happened to one of mine recently. What's worse, the tire guy didn't seem too surprised.

Crappy tires are the way it is with OEM tires (in most car segments anyways).

Tire companies have dedicated tire models or cheapened versions of a regular tire line for OEM use (the Mazda5 Toyo A18 is an example of the former).

Because of this, don't write off a tire company just because their OEM tire sucks, and Toyo certainly has some great tire lines (Proxes TPT being a good one).

As for what replacement tire would be right in this case, the most important factor is to have requirements regarding what you want them to do. dsulli37 has already stated that the tire doesn't need to be very sticky and focus on more comfortable ride. But what types of climate will this tire be driven in, what price range, and any treadwear requirements? These are the sorts of factors that need to be considered before being able to recommend tires for a given situation.

I only buy cooper now........

i have had them on every car in the past 4 years and they work flawlessly. i wont consider anything else now. they are great in the wet, dry, snow etc....

The Mazda replacement is the Goodrich G-Force Sport and discounttire.com has some good reviews. They are like $120 from a Mazda dealer and once I get some extra cash and some usage out of the Toyos, I'm replacing them all with the G-Force.

try the nitto neo-gen. they work great in any weather and quietest tire i've ever had on my car. have them on both oem rims and my 18"

I have rims for snows so they don't need to be all season...they need to be 8 month out of 12 month tires.

Get a set of Hankooks for dry weather bonzai traction. Hankooks used to be hard to find but relatively inexpensive. Now they are getting easier to find, but the price is going up.

Hankook FTW!!! I had them on my tiburon and they were awesome.

I just got some G-force sport's for my protege today, along with an alignment too. I'm fairly pleased with them considering their cost. Used to have some no-name brand tires with <2/32 tread left ,so I really don't have much experience to draw upon, anyd anything would seem to be a vast improvement over them. Frankly I'm just happy their a little lower profile than my older ones right now.

tires installed cost me $382 for 4.

Tires are ultra quiet,the only noise in the car is my CAI and the wind tbh.

Last edited:
Stock size: Kumho Ecsta ASX. Great all season tire, 30K treadlife warranty.
Been trowing them on 3's when people complain about the stock RS-A sucking in the snow and wearing out fast.
Plus they're only $100 or so each.
Not the BEST tire out there, but in our size if you want an all season tire, for the price it's not easy to beat it.

A pothole caused a sidewall gash on the Toyo’s one week after purchase. Dealer quoted $150 for replacement. I wasn’t thrilled with the lack of grip of the Toyo’s and since the dealer didn’t have the replacement in stock I decided to replace all four with Avon Tyres Tech M550 AS ($103/tire) based on reviews from Tire Rack. They were available in the stocker’s size and I am happy with the level of grip in dry and damp conditions. However I’m still waiting for a good downpour to evaluate the tires in wet conditions.

I had these installed (Gooddyear Eagle response Edge) at discount tire this week. Big difference over the toyos. I wish I would have changed them out sooner. currently their is a rebate and will price match the lowest price you can find. got them for $137.00 each plus $75.00 rebate. factoring rebate roughly $635 installed.

the toyo's are attrocious. had the 1st 'real' bit of rain up here and I almost swapped ends on the 5, TWICE!! on the same drive!!! drifts pretty slow and has a longer wheelbase than i expected. was able to catch it both times but F-me !!! Time for some new rubber!! anyone have any experience w/ GOOD rain tires? All seasons are pointless for me. I live in a rain forest. case in point. last year there was measurable precip for over 45 consecutive days (dec -jan ). it rained over 480mm ( 19 inches ) in that time.

I really think its a matter of personal preference. I had Nitto NT555 and got rid of them as soon as I could. I had some Nankangs on my old P5 and had no problem with them. Had some Kumhos on my NSX and again no problem. I have recently purchased Toyo T1Rs and love them. I dont understand why, but my Nittos used to rub on the rear fender....now with the T1Rs they dont rub, same size. They are a lot quieter and the grip is amazing. On wet, I just dont push the car but have had no problems whatsoever. :)

I just got the Nitto Invo's and love them. Great grip in both dry and rainy weather. Plus they look cool as hell. I highly recommend them.

Back