Torque Wrench settings for lug nuts - Mazda 2

inspekt

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT, 2003 Protege5 MT
Hey everyone. Got a flat today. Tomorrow morning going to take the wheel off and run it over to the shop to get the tire patched. What are you guys using for ft/lbs setting on your torque wrenches for our Mazda 2 lugnuts (when putting the wheel back on)? On my civic si, I was using 78 ft/lbs as recommended by Honda. Any reason the 2 should be different?

Corksport's instructions for the adjustable struts says 65-87 ft.lbs. I usually tighten mine to 100 or 110 just to be safe.

Anywhere from 100-120 ft/lbs for me. After 100 km, or 100 miles or whatever, tighten your lugs again. This will make sure they stay tight on there

I don't like using more than necessary, since it is possible to over-tighten (and I'm used to the lower specs of 5-lug hubs). I use 80-85 and then re-torque after a little bit of driving (I try to get some load on the tires in between). I also ALWAYS re-torque after any shop has had to remove a wheel.

My truck and rx7 get the impact wrench treatment ;)
Just throught I'd make you guys cringe a little.

Nerd tip: you can use a bike pump to get your tire fully aired up if you are in a pinch. My tire was able to hold easily enough air to get to the shop. I've done this before and it worked great, so I thought I'd mention it here. After getting home, I backed the lugs off and re-tightened to 85 ft/lbs. Thanks again everybody!

I usually do 90 ft-lbs.

Nerd tip: you can use a bike pump to get your tire fully aired up if you are in a pinch. My tire was able to hold easily enough air to get to the shop. I've done this before and it worked great, so I thought I'd mention it here. After getting home, I backed the lugs off and re-tightened to 85 ft/lbs. Thanks again everybody!

They also make little 12V air compressors that plug into a lighter socket with a long cord. They're about the size of a loaf of bread so they don't take up too much room in the trunk/hatch. I've had to use mine a couple of times to bail out friends who have gotten flats.

My truck and rx7 get the impact wrench treatment ;)
Just throught I'd make you guys cringe a little.

I use impacts for 90% of the work I do, but the first time you have a wheel come loose because you had low air, low power, cross threaded nut, or crooked wheel that didn't settle right, etc., you start torquing these things. Impact -> roll vehicle by hand -> torque wrench.

Yeah, I always thread them 3-4 turns by hand and then tighten them slowly in a star pattern, and I can easily tell when my air pressure is low so I feel confident when I impact wheels on. However, if I see a garage or someone else impact my wheels I get pissed..haha

I actually prefer the bike pump over the electric air compressor if I need to adjust by less than 10 psi or so. Its faster (with a good pump) until your muscles get tired. I also have an electric compressor that plugs into the wall in addition to the car, which is very handy. Found it on sale at home depot a few years ago.

My electric impact isn't strong, but certainly saves time with the lugs. I usually use it first (tightens to about 40lbs) while the car is in the air, followed by the torque wrench once I set it down.

I usually do 90 ft-lbs.

They also make little 12V air compressors that plug into a lighter socket with a long cord. They're about the size of a loaf of bread so they don't take up too much room in the trunk/hatch. I've had to use mine a couple of times to bail out friends who have gotten flats.

I keep one of those in the back of my 2 as well, mine's a slightly nicer one with a digital display and stuff, but was still only around $30. Works pretty well, I have a tire that leaks a bit when it gets cold so I have to use it every few weeks. I noticed recently that Costco has an emergency kit that includes a similar compressor, that'd probably be a smart buy.

Anywhere from 100-120 ft/lbs for me. After 100 km, or 100 miles or whatever, tighten your lugs again. This will make sure they stay tight on there

100 Is Retarded and not remotely recommended unless you have steel wheels.

That torque will drive the nut into the rim material and weaken it until it splits.

If my wheel is that weak I don't need it anyway (rockon)

For the 2 I just tighten with the stock wrench as tight as I can by hand. On my RX-7, which has aftermarket wheels and aluminum lugnuts, I tighten them to 85 ft-lb. I've never had any issue with the "lugnuts gouging into the wheels."

Back