top speed?

north42g

:
Mazda Protege5
I was wondering what my Mazda PR5's top speed is? Is it governed? Tonight on the way home from my girls I hit 124 mph, then I ran out of room and had to back it off. It felt like I had more left in her but I didn't feel like killing anybody today...(drive2)

Anybody know what this things top speed is supposed to be?
I got the 2.0L 2002 PR5- totaly stock engine.

Well there is literally no need to be going that fast in a car this slow but I've done the same so can't b**** too much. But rev limiter comes in at 7k at 3.5k your doing about 75 so 150 is all it has. Being stock you'll probly blow it up before you get there. Just a side not a deer hurts and does $4000 in damage at 60 and they come from no where

^Good point, it's really stupid to attempt to reach your car's max speed on a public highway. If you want to do that, spend the money and go to a track, don't endanger yourself and others.

There was a member on here that ended up folding his MSP in half and him being tossed about 50 yards from the wreck, instantly killing him. I have a pic of his car and show my students what can happen if you act stupid on the road.

The worst part is in his mod list he has a 50% tint on his windshield and he was doing this at night...poor car

About 5 years ago I hit about 135-140 on a slight down grade (maybe 1-2%). It was a very straight stretch of a very well lit highway at night (Dallas North Tollway) and the roads were void of other cars at the time. As it was dark, I couldnt say exactly how fast I was going, just that it was pegged somewhere between 130 and 140 for about 15-20 seconds. The car handled fairly well at that speed, but I was running Z rated Yokohama on it at the time.

In hindsight, it was pretty f-ing stupid and I would not attempt it again for just the reason mentioned above. Unlike some european brands, the car was not designed to take impacts at that speed. If you hit anything at that speed you can pretty much write yourself off.

About 5 years ago I hit about 135-140 on a slight down grade (maybe 1-2%). It was a very straight stretch of a very well lit highway at night (Dallas North Tollway) and the roads were void of other cars at the time. As it was dark, I couldnt say exactly how fast I was going, just that it was pegged somewhere between 130 and 140 for about 15-20 seconds. The car handled fairly well at that speed, but I was running Z rated Yokohama on it at the time.

In hindsight, it was pretty f-ing stupid and I would not attempt it again for just the reason mentioned above. Unlike some european brands, the car was not designed to take impacts at that speed. If you hit anything at that speed you can pretty much write yourself off.

No car has the capability of handling a high speed collision well. The Protoge is weak at the floorpan and when Mazda put the turbo engine, they only modified the sway bars and the drivetrain. Even the Mazda 3 is weak because the structure is not there.

On my old Elantra, the car has a square tube running from front to back on each side as a frame rail. Mazda does not have that. Having that square tube strengthens the body so it is able to take such impacts.

I wasn't claiming intelligence! And for the record there was nobody else out there but me.(yeah there could've been deer or squirrels or turtles) I am all most all ways a responsible motorist, I haven't had so much as a ticket in over 14 years.
I'm not claiming perfection either. Nothing over 75 miles an hour I would consider being responsible. Enough of my back peddling though, I asked a question about my cars top speed- I don't need a tutorial on safe driving.

Sorry, wasn't trying to lecture. Just relaying personal experience. The answer to your question is about 135 stock.

As for cars being designed to survive accidents at those speeds... I've seen some video of people walking away from some pretty gnarly high speed wrecks in places where those speeds are legal (Autobahn), but they were in some prety well made (mostly German) cars ie: Bovarian Motor Works, Audi, etc.

the time it takes to get to 80mph already makes me not want to know how long it will take to get to 135, so I dont even try lol.

im sure at 110 the car is already screaming "why are you doing this to me, please stop, no more!"
while my buddies EVO says "keep going, 160mph is nothing yet!"

Last edited:
I think it does all right in the top end. 5th gear @ 5500 -6000 RPM 124 mph....I dunno, I guess your right. It does take minutes to get there :)
I find once your moving around 45 - 60 mph you can get a little mid range out of her(not much though). I drop it down to 3rd from 5th @ 55mph and get her to about 80mph...but I'm in the red by then for sure.

oh and I was reading my signature...it says I got 50% tint on my windshield. Well that ain't right. clerical error. it is tinted but no way its 50%! It more like 80 or 90%. Just little bit...it came with the car actually, I didn't even notice it until I went to slap an inspection sticker on it. I noticed the color of the sticker was off. I was like damn the windshield is tinted too! Lucky for me Im a state inspector for Mass. cuz its illegal to have it tinted period.

I never have hit any type of governor- of any kind. But I really haven't gone fast enough to find out either. Not that there is a place to do it... I didn't loose any power at 124mph.

Back