Took my P5 to the dealership today...

sondogg

:
2002 Protege 5
I took my car into the dealership to have the clutch replaced because it chatters really bad and also judders when shifting gears.

I brought in the TSB and left it for them to deal with it and change the oil.

The guy calls me back in a few hours and says "Yeah we got everything done for you, oil changed and the car is washed and ready for you to pick up!"

I ask him, "well what about the clutch?"

He says, "I test drove the car and I can't duplicate the problem...but we think that the sound that you are hearing is coming from your aftermarket intake."

I told the guy that that is not the problem and that I know it is the clutch because I can feel it in the foot pedal when engaging the clutch. So tomorrow I'm going to the dealership and going to have the guy ride with me so I can show him what it does.

I'm freaking out because it started doing this shortly after 15,000 miles and now I have 42,400 on it and it is progressively getting worse.

I knew I was going to have a problem with these guys.

Any pointers for me when I deal with these guys again?

Thanx,

SonDogg

i had a prob with the dealer as well. i had this ticking sound coming from under the car. i took it to them and they said they couldnt duplicate the sound...even though they never drove it(a tech rode with me and he said he heard the sound but i know he really didnt he was just humoring me). they proceded to say that it was due to the aftermarket exhaust. i figured it was something with the trans. a few months later, still had the sound, i was installing my short shifter and it seemed as though the sound went away but it didnt. i realized that with the slight play in the shifter when its in gear i could make the sound louder by moving the shifter so i knew it had to be somewhere in the shift linkage.

when all was said and done they charged me $63 for the time spent on the car. they didnt do s***. i said that there was no way it was my exhaust. they expressed taking it off myself and then coming back to get my money back...hell with removing the exhaust...too much trouble.

to this day im not sure what has caused it. havent noticed in a while cuz of the radio. even if the radio isn't on i think people think i'm nuts....i cant help it if i've got good hearing, right?

fight with the dealer every chance you get. they are not the ones who make the warranty claims...it is mazda. they just get compensated for the work. they dont like to do the work because they dont get paid as much as if it were over the counter with a customer. good luck.

Why did you wait 27,400 miles later to get it checked out, that s*** should have been looked at when u felt it first. All factory guys are assholes, i mean yea its under warranty but they are such scumbags. good luck pal

They couldn't replicate my clutch chatter and denied my claim. Good luck and **** Mazda.

well, that happened to me. i brought my car to other mazda dealer and they replaced the clutch with no question asked. try to go to other mazda dealer. maybe you will be more luckier there :p

h4tor1 said:
well, that happened to me. i brought my car to other mazda dealer and they replaced the clutch with no question asked. try to go to other mazda dealer. maybe you will be more luckier there :p
I'm on my second dealer....

the clutch chatter problem is due to uneven heat expansion caused by hotspots. If you want them to feel it, its got to be cold, like >60 deg F (i live in CA, people think thats cold). Tell them to take it out early early in the morning after letting it sit overnight. My dealer did this and gave me a new clutch after id put 26K miles on it and i felt a noticeable improvement in the feel of the clutch afterward, feels much stronger now when it is engaging. My dealer also leveled with me saying that they know how to reproduce the problem because they've done serveral, did one a few days before i brought mine in.
Like i said, ask them to try it early morning if its cold enough where you live.

Same deal with me. "couldn't duplicate the problem" They did at least resurface the flywheel. They also said that the flywheel was on national 2 month backorder. The damn think is horrible, but I don't feel like taking it back again. I'm probably gonna just save the money for a aftermarket flywheel and clutch and do it myself. (mine is at 44K)

The dealer did a "follow up" call about my visit to the dealer. I absolutely went off about the dealership and the way they called me a liar. They insist that the clutch chatter is pure bulls***. Mazda Corporate is supposed to give me a call about this soon. Even if it does get fixed, **** Mazda.

my dealer an asshole. My trnas went after 10,000 miles then after 11,000 went again. Now they said it was the aftermarket intake and i proved them wrong. Now i got the s*** stock intake in no difference. Had the trans changed 2x and now tuesday goin in #3 lemon law here i come. ******* dealership 12,000 miles and im out a car. plus the pricks made me pay for a rental.

I would suggest going to the second dealer. If they claim stupidity also then I would contact Mazda Corporate. But don't call them. Send them a letter via certified mail with return receipt. State in the letter that you consider them in default of your warranty rights and that they have seven days to direct you to a facility to have the problems corrected. That usually wakes them up as depending on your state laws, that's usually the first step in the lemon law buyback process.

Do 02-03 Miatas use the same clutch as a P5? Clutch shudder is a documented and acknowledged problem by Mazda with Miatas. For more info go to miataforum.com and search for clutch shudder.

LaserBluePro5 said:
Do 02-03 Miatas use the same clutch as a P5? Clutch shudder is a documented and acknowledged problem by Mazda with Miatas. For more info go to miataforum.com and search for clutch shudder.
not the same clutch

Guys,

leave the car overnight at the dealer!! Early in the morning come in and let the tech drive the car with you. That's the only way to replicate the problem, when the car is cold.

Related Slippage Problems?

Did anyone with the chatter/shudder problem also experience slippage?

My P5 has 11,000 +/- miles on it and is slipping in 1st gear like crazy. Started out with some slight chatter a month ago, and now the past couple of days I can't hook up in first gear. I have to use very little throttle (less than a quarter) to get moving, and then I'm fine moving through the upper gears. Any more than that, and I just start revving without really going anywhere.

I just got back from the dealer. I called and told him about the clutch chatter I'm having and that there was TSB on it. He didn't know anything about it and couldn't find one. I took a copy of it in to him and he is going to call Mazda tomorrow. Why do I have a feeling this isn't going to be easy?

I had the same "could not duplicate, could be your aftermarket intake" bulls***. This is my first and LAST Mazda... if I had a Honda, I wouldn't be having these dealer issues (no, I'm not gonna buy a Honda... don't even start :)).

I've been hearing about this clutch shudder problems with P5. Was this a problem for all years are just certain ones? I am starting to worry about mine. Mine is an 03 P5. I know this is an issue to 99-01 Miatas.

Back