Tires help/advice

Mr. X

Hello all,

I went to get my car rotated/balanced and came to find out that my front 2 tires are showing wires. My rear tires are okay. I'm bummed because I was planning on driving to Orlando tomorrow so now I have to postpone my trip.

The tires I have on my car are Dunlop Direzza DZ 101 tires. I have stock tire sizes (195/50/16). I'm now wondering if I should change all 4 of my tires to 205/15/60 rather than just replace the front 2. From a financial perspective, it would cost me more to get all 4 tires rather than just the 2.

Also, I was contemplating about getting new wheels (17s all around) and getting tires to go with them as well as new struts (again this would be more from a financial perspective).

What would you recommend? The practical thing is just to get the 2 tires but do you have any good recommendations on brands? I'm just tired of my car going through tires like crazy. If getting 205/50/16 or upgrading my wheels and tires all together will cause less of a burden in the long run, I don't mind doing it. And by less of a burden, I mean having to replace the tires often.

Currently I'm looking at discount tire and looking to get the Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 tires in 195/50/16. Will I encounter a problem if I end up getting these Kumhos and they will replace my front tires and my back tires are the Dunlop Direzzas DZ 101s? I've heard some people say that its better to have the same brand on all 4 of your tires (don't know if this is true or not).

Thanks for all your help!

Its recommended to have the same brand/model of tires all the way around because that way the traction is the same all the way around and it helps stability when cornering/braking/accelerating. It is okay to have 2 different tires as long as you have the front sides matching and the rear sides matching, and since its FWD and most of your braking comes from the front you want your best tires on the front. Some shops wont even let you buy just one or two tires unless they match what you already have.
In my opinion if you are just installing the new rubber until you buy new rims just do the two, if you decide not to buy new rims then go for all 4 since when it comes time to rotate your tires you will want to replace the other 2 anyways, (and if you rotate properly at regular intervals your tires will wear more evenly and last longer)

I have kuhmo Ecsta asx's 195/50/16. I'm gonna buy the same tires for winter bc they are all season or at least gonna try it. For summer and warm weather driving, I've heard nothing but good things about direza's. Personally, I'm gonna go 205/50/16 in the summer to give me more tread on the ground, and in the direza's bc it's an all around stickier tire.

From what I have seen from them nexun(spelling?) 5000 is a good tire my mom has had them on her car for almost 2 years now and they still have half tread left. They do good in the rain as well I have to try to make it spin. We both use 215 45 17 I can't say anything about snow yet because I just got mine and her car is awd. And they're relitivly cheap I paid 115 each mount and balanced.

Sometimes its cheaper to get a wheel and tire package than just tires, but that usually has to be ordered and won't get to you immediately. You may be able to find a pair of matching used tires in good shape at a tire shop that will get you thru your trip and you could order a set of 17's when you get back.

Nexen is walmart s***. I wouldnt really go there, unless your planning to do 4 17" summers or something later.
If your sick of tires wearing out, get an alignment. If the alignment is mint then look into a camber-proof tire (not toe wear proof) called the Nitto Neo-gen.

all depends on what your willing to spend right now

Just because its sold at walmart doesn't mean its junk and I didn't even get them from walmart

without getting too deep into how company's build products for companies demands...
nexen is equivalent to Dynex or similiar.

I work in a tire shop, i see tons of Nexens feather or separated. they're just a cheap tire.
Never said you bought them at walmart tweety.. I'm saying thats the market sector they're designed to fill

Thanks everyone for all the help. I looked at that post regarding tires. Now I'm thinking of getting the Kumho ASX's as others have said this is a good tire. My only question if I decide to go up a size is should I go for 205/50/16 or 205/40/16?

From previous posts and talking to others, I've always assumed that if you are going to go up a size from the stock size of 195/50/16, then the only option one would have is 205/50/16.

Thanks!

without getting too deep into how company's build products for companies demands...
nexen is equivalent to Dynex or similiar.

I work in a tire shop, i see tons of Nexens feather or separated. they're just a cheap tire.
Never said you bought them at walmart tweety.. I'm saying thats the market sector they're designed to fill

Fair enough, if you work at a shop and know of the quality of a product then just say so, don't just call it Walmart s***. I dunno about the states but here in Canada Walmart carries Bridgestone, Firestone, Goodyear, and i believe Michelin. Does being sold at Walmart make those tires s***? nope sure doesn't.

agreed, 205/40R16 will be a dramatic difference in sidewall height. I have 205/50R16 as my winters, they'll be fine

X,
Keep in mind that I'm biased, still think the OEM Dunlop SP5000's (expensive and discontinued) are the best DRY cornering all-season (not great in snow) tire for our P5's. I had the Kumho's in the past and thought they were poor in cornering and snow, BUT you pointed out the NEW version, $50 rebate w/ 4 Kumho Ecsta 4X tires [Exp 11/30], which has a $50 rebate right now. If you get them, let us all know what you think.

Last edited:
A post a while back talked about Continental ExtremeContact DWS.
They are all-season rated Z. Reviews show they are good in snow, but poor in dry crisp cornering.
Good price though.

Yes, I will have my tires at stock height. Stickman, where I live we don't get snow that much like places up north or out in the midwest. However we did get some snow in January and the Dunlop Direzzas were horrible. I was slipping all over the place. I'm just looking for a good tire that will have good traction on dry and wet conditions and of course where I won't have to replace in 8 months to a year.

look into Nokian WR G2. they are a severe service rated all-weather tire. means they can do snow as well as dry, but they're by no means a performance tire...

I'm currently running on nexxen 5000. Total crap as performance goes! 17/40/205. Next season i'm getting some dunlops' or toyos' probably dropping to 205/60/50. BTW the Dunlop Direzzas come in a couple flavor. You have the 101's which are street tires, you have the star specs which are more of a track tire (not r compound). For winter if you live in a area that does get lots of snow get a set of winter and summer tires.

Back