tires effect

nalspeed

Contributor
:
mazda protege 5 silver
Can tires that has about 10% thread give us bad gas mileage on our car and bad braking capabilties? I have an MP5 by the way

yeah, they can, if you don't have them balanced, filled with correct pressure, etc. they will affect gas mileage
(based on real experience)

damn figures so I need to get new tires then, I had my tires for about 55,00 miles now arghhhhhhh. so will the brake power also be effected?

solid_snake said:
yeah, they can, if you don't have them balanced, filled with correct pressure, etc. they will affect gas mileage
(based on real experience)

nalspeed said:
damn figures so I need to get new tires then, I had my tires for about 55,00 miles now arghhhhhhh. so will the brake power also be effected?
i just got my tires replaced and i have better brake response (even though my discs and pads are gone, replacing them tomorrow with ceramic ones) (thumb)
than with the bad OEM Continentals, i have only driven them for a mile so i don't have a definite answer for the gas mileage, and improved handling and steering response

Last edited:
JEESH i DIDN'T KNOW tires are so crucial other than of course riding on them and making your car go![

QUOTE=solid_snake]i just got my tires replaced and i have better brake response (even though my discs and pads are gone, replacing them tomorrow with ceramic ones) (thumb)
than with the bad OEM Continentals, i have only driven them for a mile so i don't have a definite answer for the gas mileage[/QUOTE]

they affect handling, gas mileage, ride comfort, steering response, and of course, traction (grip of rubber to the road)

Boy i need to ace my dunflops. just dont have the money yet for some 512s.

with proper inflation, different tires won't vary gas mileage much. MAYBE 1 mpg, in an extreme case. steering, ride, and handling are all greatly affected though. unless your tires are absolutely ragged, they are at their dry-handling prime right now. go have fun smoking some on ramps, then get some new rubber.

the wider the tire , the more drag it has or rolling resistance.. stofter compounds will also increase this as well because of fiction, though compounds have a very small affect compared to tire width.. if you look at any eco car they have like a 185 tire with the hardest compound possible, this is to help roll better down the road, thus using less energy...in the braking area, wider tires are heaver most of the time, the heaver the wheel and tire combo, the more the brakes have to work to slow the rotating mass, better pads will help give you that instant responce and bite your looking for... wider tires will give more grip on the road, with means better stopping, tunring, and accel.... softer compounds will incease this again.. remember that your car can ONLY perform as well as your tires.. 500hp dosnt mean s*** if you cant put it down,, $2000 coilovers dont mean s*** if the tire dosnt grip to turn the car.... i have 215-45-16 azenis on mine.. this tire is heaver, wider,much, much softer and a little taller due to the ratios.. i lost a little accel, and wider tires will hydoplane easyer, a little of that bite on the brakes...BUT now the car is a hero in the corners, massive amounts of grip, stops on a dime, launches out of the hole with much less tire spin.... next year im getting black team dynamics pro race one wheels, 15x7.5 and the new azenis in ther 225/45/15 size... more grip, less weight...

Too low pressure can cause a lot more than 1mpg loss. I lost 7 mpg with tires set to 25lbs thanks to the dealer resetting the air pressure at an oil change. Were damn near flat. Also, tires too low can overheat and blow apart. Remember the Firestone Wilderness tires? The whole debacle has boiled down to loo low pressure as a major contributing factor.

The fact you got 55K on Dunlops is amazing. Those tires are hellish.

Anywho, there is many threads about what tires to get. I got $65 Kumho Ecsta 711's, and they are great in rain, dry, cornering, etc. I like them a lot. Quieter than the Yokohama AVS ES 100's I had for 20K miles

Of course, if you are have upgraded larger rims, lower profile tires, the number ont he door jam is irrelevant.

As far as mileage loss, I was only using the mpg between my commute to work on one tank with low pressure, vs mileage to work with the correct pressure on the nect tank of gas. I am sorry if I had a 7mpg loss when I was not supposed to, according to your link. I will go tell my car it was faking the mileage. :)

Even with going to larger rims, the manufacturer recommended pressure is a good place to start. Reason is that if you do a typical +1 upgrade, the air volume in the tires is roughly the same.

I don't like to admit it, but driving like an old lady is the best thing you can do to get good fuel economy. Driving habits have a huge influence. Racing from stoplights and riding 75 on the highway will drop your mpg like a rock.

djp5 said:
Racing from stoplights and riding 75 on the highway will drop your mpg like a rock.

While this is true, drafting SUV's at 75 down the highway can save you about 3-4MPG. Do it right and you can actually feel the difference in the pedal. 40 Miles a day up and down the Dallas north tollway taught me that.

Back