Tires and Rims

:
Either a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6
On the Mazda 3 (2.3) GT with the GFX package, the tire dimension is 205/50R17. I could use the tire dimension 195/60R16 (basically from the GT model but no GFX pacakge) and it would fit right? The overall circumference would stay the same, or do I have to get the exact numbers 205/50R17. The reason I'am asking is cause, I don't require expense winter tires and rims.

Last edited:
Zoom Zoom Zoom said:
On the Mazda 3 (2.3) GT with the GFX package, the tire dimension is 205/50R17. I could use the tire dimension 195/60R16 (basically from the Gt model but not GFX pacakge) and it would fit right? The overall circumference would stay the same, or do I have to get the exact numbers 205/50R17. The reason I'am asking is cause, I don't require expense winter tires and rims.
The factory recommended 16-inch size is P205/55R16. This is the size the Mazda3 16-inch versions are shipped with and this size is also listed on the doorjam sticker on a Mazda3 GT GFX. But P195/60R16 is close enough that if you have a set already in this size then you can use it and save $$$ - but if you're buying tires anyways then you may as well use the factory recommended tire size.

wongpres said:
The factory recommended 16-inch size is P205/55R16. This is the size the Mazda3 16-inch versions are shipped with and this size is also listed on the doorjam sticker on a Mazda3 GT GFX. But P195/60R16 is close enough that if you have a set already in this size then you can use it and save $$$ - but if you're buying tires anyways then you may as well use the factory recommended tire size.
If I use the size P205/55R16 (factory recommended) for winter tires and rim, then the overall circumference will be off a bit compared to the stock GT (GFX package) which is P205/50R17. Since the overall circumference is a bit off, then the speedometre would be off as well. Why would the factory recommend this size for winter rims and tires anyway?

The tire calculator works for the ideal or nominal size for the tire. Every manufacturer is a little differant. If you go to www.tirerack.com and look at a specific tire, click on Specs and that will list the detailed measurements of the tire your looking for in all of the sizes available. The 205/50R17 can vary by as much as .4" diameter from manuf. to manuf. (the RS/As are 25.4" diam., Yoko ES100 25.1 for the same size and 25.5 for 215/50R17) Also, the specs give you the rim widths that the tire will fit and the ideal rim width. Plus lots of other numbers for the terminally geeky.

Last edited:
My new winter tires for my 04 GT GFX

I went to Tirerack.com and checked all the tire sizes for winter to fit the car and you can actually get a Michelin Alpin PA2 205/50/17 V rated. But you can also get the 205/55/16 which can save you like $120 a tire and saves your rims. I just got a set put on my car on Thurs and they seem to be really good so far. Just have to survive my first Ontario winter with them!!! Off course the winters here can't be as bad as back in Nova Scotia.

Zoom Zoom Zoom said:
The "Tire Calculator" doesn't seem to be working?

might not be b/c of your java.. make sure you have java enabled.. not java script.. just the java.. (check your browser)

Back