Tire Woes

habu

:
2003 Mazda PR5
I just bought my '03 PR5 last month (new to me, but used). I traded in my '02 IS300 for financial management reasons, and have not skipped a beat. The PR5 is fun to drive, especially with different springs and a nice exhaust.

<FONT face=Garamond><FONT size=3>However, the stock Dunlop tires are absolutely pathetic in the wet. The car's light weight combined with stupid tread pattern results in some serious hydroplaning, especially here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:State>Texas</st1:State>. Has anyone else experienced this nightmare? I'm thinking about going to Yokohama ES100s as soon as I can. Anyone have some good wet/dry tire recommendations?</FONT></FONT></P><P style=
Thanks,

get a falken tire, inexpensive, good performance and wear and better in the rain then the dunlops. Probalby the best buy for daily driving with some hard driving in between

The Dunlops are one of the biggest complaints for this car, but then, you can just wear them out, and get new tires..

Toyo Proxies T1S are awesome wet WX tires. You'd need a 255/55-16 to match the OEM 195/50-16. Plus it can be hard to find local dealers.

lol the stock tires suck IMO

I burned them up in 15k miles.........now I bought some kumho 711's....a noticable diff

and for 230 shipped for 4.....cant beat that

habu said:
I just bought my '03 PR5 last month (new to me, but used). I traded in my '02 IS300 for financial management reasons, and have not skipped a beat. The PR5 is fun to drive, especially with different springs and a nice exhaust.

However, the stock Dunlop tires are absolutely pathetic in the wet. The car's light weight combined with stupid tread pattern results in some serious hydroplaning, especially here in Thanks,

They really are the worst tires I've had.....but hey they taught me alot about skid control and recovery, that's for sure. Especially in the spring months when its a good mix of slush and still water, FUN STUFF for sure. I think I've become a better driver because of them (uhm) , who knows, but definitely replacing them soon.

elfhearse said:
Toyo Proxies T1S are awesome wet WX tires. You'd need a 255/55-16 to match the OEM 195/50-16. Plus it can be hard to find local dealers.
I think your math may be a little off. A 255/55-16 tire has a circumference of 81.8 inches, while the OEM 195/50-16 tire has a circumference of 74.4 inches. Those sizes don't compare well. A 205/45-16 would be a better match, as it has a circumference of 73.1 inches, thus resulting in less speedometer error (about 1 mph at 60 mph).

Last edited:
Back