Tire sizes - Not really happy with the tires previous owner put on it.

ccrunner2011

:
2002 Protege5, Classic Red
Hey everyone,

So a couple weeks have gone by since I got my P5. I'm starting to rethink the very low profile tires. He's got Kumho asx 205/40-17s on konig crosshairs 17X8.

Looking at the wheel well and rims compared to the tires. The tires just seem too small especially height wise. It's almost like they aren't wide enough for the tires so it's pulling the sidewalls inward. If that makes any sense. I'm going to run these tires for now, until they get worn out. Another 10-15K miles hopefully not more.

I've looked at the 215/45 -17 and they aren't much difference in price and according to calculations ive done/looked at it should only effect the speedo by 2.2 mph. So when the speedo reads 60 im actually going 62.2 mph.

With the stock protege5 rims and tires compared to the tires he has on it now, it's a .2% difference.

Would I not get a better ride / smoother with the increased height and also better traction because the slightly wider tire?

EDIT: Idk if ya'll can see this since it's on facebook but, the back shows it really bad.

407196_2815698944188_1010263729_3917728_3089872_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ive run both 205/50/17 and 215/45/17 when I had my P5 on Mazda3 Snowflake wheels. The 215/45/17 was nice, but I was also SLAMMED and had a good amount of rubbing going on over big bumps. This Pic is with 215/45/17
Dont mind the paint it was the previous owner lol
IMG_0439.jpg

Last edited:
The suspension on this car is all stock. I just feel like the wheel wells are really empty with the tires that are on it.. And I like the rims so I don't want to replace them (discontinued). I also think the tires aren't wide enough to fully fit the rim fully though... the 205-40/17 treads seem to not cover the rims width as well and almost feels like they are 1/2"-3/4" too narrow compared to the other cars that we have.

I'm guessing by slammed your meaning lowered? I've never heard someone use that before...so its new to me. :p

you have a minor stretch with the 205-40-17 tires on a 8" wheel. Im running the same set up since that is the only size I can safely run without rubbing my fenders. If your wheels are not too aggresive offset wise, and you dont plan to lower your car, go with a wider and taller profile tire.

***TOOK out this dumb part - my own fault

EDIT: Looked up the rim. 40mm offset and searched for offset (what it is)... from what im understanding its the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting plate where the wheel attaches the hub. please tell me if im wrong.

Last edited:
I'd run either 215/40/17 or 225/40/17. Probably the 215/40/17 since it would only be .2 MPH faster on the speedo. But the 225/40/17 would only be 1 MPH faster.

***TOOK out this dumb part - my own fault

EDIT: Looked up the rim. 40mm offset and searched for offset (what it is)... from what im understanding its the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting plate where the wheel attaches the hub. please tell me if im wrong.

You are correct. To be clear a positive offset moves the mounting surface to the outside of wheel (which tucks the wheel into the well) and negative offset does the opposite.

BACKSPACING: Some people refer to backspacing which is another way of stating the offset (distance from inside lip to mounting surface)

Last edited:
I'm currently running 205-45-17 Bridgestone G019 grids on 05 mazda 3 wheels. and i'm very happy with them. Ride quality and daily driving comfort is great. They do look a little small for the wheelwell but i have lowering plans so it's not a big deal to me.

Before I was running 215/ 40's and they rubbed like a mother fucker because they were too wide (and i was running spacers then) So i stepped down to 205 and took the spacers out.

that 5% plus ratio makes a huge difference in ride comfort IMO

Absorbs bumps well and still remains tight and taught while doing emergency maneuvers and cornering.

I've already had to dodge a falling box on a freeway and they didn't feel Balloon-y and I got right back in position right quick.

You still feel the cracks and bumps but it's not like riding a wooden rollercoaster like the 40 series were.

I'm happy with them.

50 would be too big and you would sacrifice handling IMO. and personally I feel 215 is too wide. That would all depend on your offset i guess but i'm very very happy with 205/45/17's

Last edited:
The previous owner was attempting to go 'hellaflush'. In the car world, that means 'stretching tires' and getting 'flush' rims.

Stretching tires involves buying wide wheels (8" or wider) and smaller width tires, so mounting them means you stretchthe sidewalls so they angle back toward the tread. I don't get it, and it seems like it would be unsafe, but alot of people like it.

The +40 offset was the previous owner buying 'flush' rims, or rims that line up with the edge of the cars fenders. A higher positive offset (most mazdas have a +50 stock wheel) means the face of the rim sits closer in to the center of the car but gives you an unsightly overhang of fender to wheel.

Flush rims put the wheels closer to the fender, so of course, you end up with rubbing issues, especially once you lower the car. Logically it follows that you would also lose handling because the stiffer sidewalls are compromised by stretching.

So to answer your question, wider tires would definitely help with handling, and look better(IMO) than stretched.

umm by my calcuations, 215/45r17 is 4% too big, 205/40r17 is 1% smaller. 4% is pushing your braking system a bit, and throws the speedo noticeably..

215/40 is as close as it gets, however it's not really a common size. good chance you'll have to order them.

I have 205/40 on 17x8, which is light stretch but still within the manufacture's (Nitto) allowable mounting widths.

and yess, if you have a 8" rim a 205/40 or smaller is necessary to avoid rub if you are at all lowered. Or excessive camber..

umm by my calcuations, 215/45r17 is 4% too big, 205/40r17 is 1% smaller. 4% is pushing your braking system a bit, and throws the speedo noticeably..

215/40 is as close as it gets, however it's not really a common size. good chance you'll have to order them.

I have 205/40 on 17x8, which is light stretch but still within the manufacture's (Nitto) allowable mounting widths.

and yess, if you have a 8" rim a 205/40 or smaller is necessary to avoid rub if you are at all lowered. Or excessive camber..

Not lowered at all. turn locked to lock and checked with the 205 on the car there's at least 1.5" even when turned lock to lock. Kumho makes a 215/40-17 and it's only 91$ or so on tire rack/discount tire

oh well if your planning to buy online then not to worry.

the slight stretch will make the sidewall stiffer, really though if you don't like the wheels I'd sell them and buy 16" or something that you do like

oh well if your planning to buy online then not to worry.

the slight stretch will make the sidewall stiffer, really though if you don't like the wheels I'd sell them and buy 16" or something that you do like

Don't want different wheels. I really like the rims. just not the tires...

Back