Tire Size Question

sgryzko

I really should know the answer to this question, but I don't.

I am currently using 205/45/R17 tires, and was wondering if 205/40/R17 would also fit on my (non-lowered) 2002 Protege5.

Also, is it okay to have two 205/45/R17 and two 205/40/R17?

Thanks!
Shane

The smaller diameter of the 40 series tire will throw your speedometer off a bit but they will work.

205/45/17-616mm dia.
205/40/17-596mm dia.

You CAN run 2 different sizes of tires but I would recommend fitting the same size at the 4 corners to keep the ABS(if equipped)from getting strange readings. If your P5 doesn't have ABS, if won't really matter.

The asthetics of the different tires are a matter of opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Good to know- thanks a lot.

At this point in my car's life, asthetics are becoming much less important. However, the ABS could be a problem.

A little bit off topic, but i know you run the 205s. If i have stock size 195/50/16, will i run into any rubbing problems with 205/50/16?

also, if this isn't an issue, would anyone recommend down sizing to the 45s? i looking for a little less tire role.

You can 205/50's with no issues at all on stock wheels, lowered or stock height. I run them now and you can also run 205/45's as well with no issues. The bonus is there are a lot more options with those two sizes.

Ultimately that will depend on you and your needs. Are you looking for a high performance summer tire or an all-season tire...do you care about ride or handling...the list goes on.

Check out http://www.tirerack.com Plug in a size and then you can read reviews, etc on ones that meet your criteria.

While I do have a dedicated set of snow tires in the shed I am seriously considering getting these to run for the summer season http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

I use to drive a 92 sentra se-r, which i autoxed for a couple years with Falken azenis sports, which i loved. They are now out of my price range. Im looking forward to a few autox but nothing to serious. I just didn't know if there were a particular tire that people loved for the P5s. As far as weather I live at the beach. I am looking at the Nitto NT NeoGen VR 205/45/16 if anyone has any experience with them let know how you liked them or disliked them. Thanks for all the help.

The Neo-gens are great in the dry, however they're pretty scary in the wet. A better tire to go with for a decent price are the BFG G-Force sports. Good in both the dry and wet. They are more progressive than the neo-gens as well. Meaning that the break away is a smoother transition, your not on the edge then suddenly trying to gather the car. I've had these tires on Miata, a turbo'd honda accord and now on our WRX. I used to work for discount tire and I'm a bit of a wheel *****. I had 11 different sets of rims for the honda while I worked there. So we tried just about every thing under the sun.

Last edited:
I am running 205/40/17 on mazda 3 wheels with g force sports here in ca for year round use on street w/ a little spirited driving on the back roads. the gap is a little big, and the ride is a little bumpy. other than that I am very happy. much more tires to choose from in the 40 series tire at a much cheaper price. i like the g force plain and simply because it has no real significant flaws. not the best in any one category, but an all around solid tire.

Back