• Kumho Ecsta MX

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

FrozenMazda

:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #355
I have narrowed my choices down to these two tires. Factors were size, price, and Fellow racer's opinions.

Let me know what you folks think.

EDIT: Thanks for all the input. The time has come to make a decision and the winner is............................... CHOICE NUMBER 3!!! Once I got word that the RT-615's were out, the decision was made (thanks dmitrik4). Although the vulcan tire website said that the tires were on backorder to mid-April, they somehow made it to my house yesterday. Looking to have them on by next weekend (weather permitting).

Last edited:
I was looking into the RS2's. From the reviews I've read (through Google), they are great in wet and dry when new. Also they do not like lower temps, so they do not grip as well when colder.

Still I might pickup a set.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you looking at the falken azenis RT-615s?
EDIT: From what I've read: the Kumhos are great tires. The Hankooks have to be shaved to next to nothing. Shaved, it's hard to get a better tire.

Last edited:
aMaff said:
Just out of curiosity, why aren't you looking at the falken azenis RT-615s?

I'm looking for a stock sized replacement. I have a set of 17x7.5" with Falken Azenis Sports (maybe 3 autocross events left in them), but I'm waiting for my coilovers to come in before I put those on. In the interim, I need a good set for my stock rims.

FrozenMazda said:
I'm looking for a stock sized replacement. I have a set of 17x7.5" with Falken Azenis Sports (maybe 3 autocross events left in them), but I'm waiting for my coilovers to come in before I put those on. In the interim, I need a good set for my stock rims.

What offset are your 17x7.5" wheels and what size Azenis do you have on them?

I'll be switching to the RS2s for track days if I can't fit the Potenzas I've been using on my new wheels.

if you're using them for autoX (as opposed ot street use), the MXs NEED to be shaved as well. they're not really up to the standards of the Falkens or eeven the Kooks, but they're not a bad choice on a heavy car, as long as they're shaved.

BTW, you can get the falken RT-615 in the stock MSP size: http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm. $111/each. honestly, i'd go with those over the Kooks and certainly over the Kumhos.

dmitrik4 said:
...BTW, you can get the falken RT-615 in the stock MSP size: http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm. $111/each. honestly, i'd go with those over the Kooks and certainly over the Kumhos.

True... but these were supposed to be available in August/Spetember '05. Also, the website says that you can "preorder" these tires and that they'll be available in 1-2 weeks. Until they are shown on the Discount Tire Co.'s website, I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Didn't see the bottom. May be looking at these.

Last edited:
low_psi said:
What offset are your 17x7.5" wheels and what size Azenis do you have on them?

I'll be switching to the RS2s for track days if I can't fit the Potenzas I've been using on my new wheels.

Not sure on the offset. I picked these up second-hand from "Delsing" Dave (Somebody bought them from Dave, and I bought them off of the guy that bought them from Dave). They still have the Azenis RT-215's on them and will probably last only another race or two.

ah, those are some sexy wheels. have you rolled your fenders by chance or replaced the OEM springs?

I am running the 215/45-17 MX in our street tire class and they work pretty well. I think the GRM tire test has the Hankook as being faster. If you can find it, that would be a good article to read.

The other thing that the article pointed out at the end is that both of these would have benefited by having the alignment tweaked to characteristics.

Last edited:
low_psi said:
ah, those are some sexy wheels. have you rolled your fenders by chance or replaced the OEM springs?

Not yet. Waiting for coilovers and spacer plates to come in first.

Back