Tire and Wheel warranty

:
CX9
Hey Guys,

Just purchased a new 2014 CX-9 touring. The vehicle has the standard 18" wheels offered on this package. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with damaging wheels/tires in all this bad weather. We live in NJ and the potholes are very bad this time of year. But it seems like there is quite a bit of tire above the wheel in this standard set-up. The dealer is offering tire/wheel warranty at $500 for 5 years. Not bad if it needed, waste of money if not.

I don't know someone else just purchsed a full set of tires and wheels from Direct Tire for $1600, which is not bad at all, and those were 20 inch wheels. $500 is obviously cheaper than that but unless you want to replace OEM in a bad pothole event i'd think it's worth the risk for breakage. Wheels are quite strong. They only rim's I've ever damaged were steel wheels when I slid into a curb on a very icy day. All the potholes and such I've hit in MN, which has very bad ones lol, I've never had an issue. Both of my proteges had alloy rims with no issues and many years of MN winters and pothole seasons.

I wouldnt bother. Tire's are a wear item, so any warranty on them wont last very long. And the wheels themselves typically dont have issues. Hell, the only Mazda OEM wheel i know of ever to have some issues was the early 93 RX7 wheel that they recalled, and released with additional webbing.

To add, the 18's have a good amount of meat in the sidewall to help absorb the impact too. Even the 20's are a 50 aspect ratio for the O.E. size, but with the 18's you get about another 1" of side wall to help out.

First, it all depends on the details--are there deductibles, etc? $500 is a pretty good price for a wheel and tire package, but with the 18" wheels, I think I'd probably pass on it. I'd be more likely with the 20" wheels--2 tires and it's paid for itself, and the 20" are lower profile and more susceptible to damage.

No deductible.....just wonder if anyone has had wheel and/or tire damage with the 18"...I agree there seems to be enough tire to absorb impact...but figured I would ask....if I had the 20's I would definitely get it.

I live in New York and there are a lot of potholes here. I have been very fortunate not to have wheel damage as I have gone through craters not even potholes a few times. I still try to be careful as I don't want to push my luck. I do not know really how it is in jersey. If you feel more comfortable getting the warranty I would get it. What I always get on any new vehicle that I buy is to extend the bumper to bumper warranty. With so much electronic junk in cars these days I really don't want to take a chance. If you do manage to damage the rim and don't have the warranty a new or re-conditioned rim goes for about 130 on ebay. This is about the same or in some cases cheaper than some tires.

The sidewall on the tires on the 18's make that highly improbable. Typically you only damage a rim from a pothole if the sidewall is much smaller. We have plenty of tire to protect it.

Thanks Guys, I live in a Jersey myself and did some work in the Bronx...took the 2005 ML350 but was glad I did> Huge potholes, but that has 17's on it....I think from speaking with u the 18 will by fine. Thanks Guys

So the pothole are horrendous around here and I have literally been afraid to drive the car...I know I should have plenty of sidewall, but I called and talked them down to $400 for a 5 year replacement warranty, no deductible....I hate giving the dealer any more of my money, but its piece of mind....

Back