Tire advice PLEASE!!!

Volley2six

:
MP3
Hey all.
I came back from a business trip to Vegas (dont' ask...I lost all the dough I brought) and my front left tire was almost flat. I've noticed a slow leak in the past couple weeks but didn't do anything about it. So it obviously needs to be changed, so here's my problem....
I just bought the car a month ago, used, from a used car dealership. The front tires are the Dunlops, and the rear are Yoko's, although I forget which type. The car has 36K on it and It seems as though the front Dunlops were previously the rear tires. The wear on the front 2 is troublesome. The rears seem okay, but obviously worn. Should I just replace the front 2 and leave the rears? Should I replace the front 2 WITH the rears and put new ones on the rear? (THat sounds dumb to me though). Do I just buy 4 new ones? I filled the front one with air but I'm not sure how long that will last. Also, I had my alignment done right after I got the car and it wasn't totally fixed. I never brought it back and the alignment has seemingly gotten worse, but I'm assuming it was because of the loss of air pressure....but I could be way off base. So now I have 2 worn fronts, one leaking, and an alignment that pulls to the right even after I got it fixed. I'd really appreciate any help. I don't want to F this up.

JT

I would buy a new set...search here for tire options many people have tried various ones.

With the wide wheels it is not uncommon to think the car is pulling since the road surfaces are not flat...get your bushing checked as well...search the clunk thread

Definately replace those dunlops as they are the stock wheels. And they are very expensive also so I doubt the previous owner bought dunlops. I think they run about $139 a piece from tirerack.com and they're pretty much the cheapest place in town. The backs are probabbly Yoko Parada spec II, that's one of the most common tires to replace with. That and Kumho Ecstas. Which is what I"m getting. If the tread on the backs are fine I wouldn't waste money on 4 right now. but if they're going to need replaced 2 months down the road I'd replace them as well.

why are the dunlops so expensive? they are pretty skinny and dont seem to give amazing traction, so what is it?
are the ones from the mp3 different than the ones on the p5?

replace them all and align it. get it over with so that you have your head clear of future problems. keep the backs for JUST in CASE

well,

if money is tight move your rear tires to front and put the new ones in the rear. this has logic too it (lol i read this stuff while i was getting a new set of rubber at discount tire co. ) that if new tires are put on front, yes the front will have more grip but in wet situations the more worn down tires in the rear will have less hydroplaning resistance and the rear would be more likely to slide out whereas if the new tires were in the rear and the front hydroplanes it would be supposedly easier to correct that loss in traction when compared to the rear.

i dunno but that does make sense.

If you have the money, replace all 4. Wait before getting an alignment. Your alignment could be correct but you are tricked into thinking it is off because one of your tire is losing air. Drive the car wit h new tires first.

If you can only afford 2 tires, I suggest you put them up front. The rear-end may tend to slide more but since the car is FWD, I'd rather have the rear-end slide than the front-end. That is how I would do it, although the explanation from traitorhound also makes sense...

Get 2 new and put them in front. That's where you need the traction. If "hydroplaning" is a serious issue where you live, you can use the traction in the front. Crappy tires up front is like signing a death wish. Don't do it.

Back