Tinting limit in VA?

Window Tint laws in Virginia are:

50% Front Windows
35% Rear Windows

As far as the exhaust, ive been scolded by State police that any modification to exhaust in the state of Virginia is illegal; but on that note, who the cops decide to pull over appears to be purely up to their personal discretion. If you have a decent exhaust note with a not-to-flashy exhaust style, you would probably be fine.

Window Tint laws in Virginia are:

50% Front Windows
35% Rear Windows

As far as the exhaust, ive been scolded by State police that any modification to exhaust in the state of Virginia is illegal; but on that note, who the cops decide to pull over appears to be purely up to their personal discretion. If you have a decent exhaust note with a not-to-flashy exhaust style, you would probably be fine.

You're safe, luckily federal law supersedes state law(although I've never heard of such a VA law), and in this case it can not be made illegal to perform aftermarket modifications to your vehicle, just like it's illegal for warranty service to be denied because an owner didn't service it at the dealership. VA State police are notorious for just being plain assholes, so I would take anything they tell you with a grain of salt. Their decision has to be made solely on the fact that you're disturbing the peace with excessive noise(I belive there *is* a DB number but it's not generally used as a point of reference), so it's not going to hold up in court if you are pulled over on 64, but will if say, you like staying in 1st gear on the VA beach strip. Apart from that the *only* illegal modifications are ones that will cause you to fail inspection (which is why they're illegal, but only by extension, since you won't be able to pass inspection and thus the car must be driven off-road only)

Last edited:
Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing then I guess. Is there a law against BOVs too?

Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing then I guess. Is there a law against BOVs too?

Specifically there is no law against them like there is on exhausts, no. If you some how manage to make it loud enough that it's disturbing the peace however yes, it can be called into question. Just like having your stereo up too loud on the strip can get you a fine.

i got pulled over 2 times now for 35%, 35% looks nice trust me i know i would say ride it out till they pull you over, then in court bring them a ticket saying you got the front windows taken off they will drop it, plus you wont have to pay court cost.When they pull you over have tell them to clean your windows before they test it and thier tester is always off by -7.

and for all you guys in va,thiers a car meet the 13th in central park at the go cart place last meet was 2 weeks ago and 70 cars showed up and this ones going to be bigger its at 830pm hit me up if you want to come

If they gave me a ticket for tint I wouldnt even remove it. Just keep paying the fine. Though they have never once pulled my over for my 35%

I used to get pulled for my exhaust in Portsmouth all the time. I show up in court with my PA tags and PA license and the judge has to throw it out as long as I am "passing through". As far as tint I used to have the front 35 as well and I got hassled back in 06 with it after I got pulled over easter morning on my way to duty and got stuck with the noise pollution (two counts exhaust and base) and there is not level needed it is the officers discretion, tint, and two other stupid azz charges. So I changed the fronts to to 35 and then took it to the station and had it retested and then took the papers in to court. Well the judge saw that his meter was off and threw it out. HA HA. I am going back to 35 so do it.

and for all you guys in va,thiers a car meet the 13th in central park at the go cart place last meet was 2 weeks ago and 70 cars showed up and this ones going to be bigger its at 830pm hit me up if you want to come

got a link??

I'll probably see you there

yea thats it , its going to be sick if your heading down let me know we can meet up

I'm comin back up to Stafford Sat. morning, I'll be workin on the p5 all weekend. I'm down to meet up before hand to roll over there together. Where abouts in Fburg are you?

I used to get pulled for my exhaust in Portsmouth all the time. I show up in court with my PA tags and PA license and the judge has to throw it out as long as I am "passing through". As far as tint I used to have the front 35 as well and I got hassled back in 06 with it after I got pulled over easter morning on my way to duty and got stuck with the noise pollution (two counts exhaust and base) and there is not level needed it is the officers discretion, tint, and two other stupid azz charges. So I changed the fronts to to 35 and then took it to the station and had it retested and then took the papers in to court. Well the judge saw that his meter was off and threw it out. HA HA. I am going back to 35 so do it.

pulled over 5 times (in some cases days apart before i could even get to a tint shop to fix it so 3 of those times were warnings). went to court 2 occasions to show it was really removed. its not just a "fix-it ticket" you still have to show up in court to show proof. wasn't speeding, wasn't tailgating anybody, i was observing all relevant traffic laws pertaining to my driving situation. everyday i see cars with even darker tint than i had, i swear i have a bullseye on my car. if you are extremely unlucky like me i recommend the legal limit.

Back