Tint cost?

Went with 3M FX Premium 20% all around and glare strip. Cost was $238 with tax.

photo_zps19f65f11.jpg

That looks sweet. I a going in for tint later this week, 3m from a local place in NJ. How is the rear visibility at night with the tint for you? Any problems seeing out the back/side windows?

I don't think it's that simple. Many states have different rules for different windows.

That looks sweet. I a going in for tint later this week, 3m from a local place in NJ. How is the rear visibility at night with the tint for you? Any problems seeing out the back/side windows?

Thanks! I really haven't driven at night, but it doesn't appear really dark from the inside.

Just bought a new Yaris and am looking to tint my windows myself, so I was looking up information regarding it and came across your question while Googling.

Here are the legal tint limits for each state, according to Wikipedia:

Alabama 32% - Louisiana 40% - Ohio 50%
Alaska 70% - Maine 50% - Oklahoma 25%
Arizona 33% - Maryland 35% - Oregon 35%
Arkansas 25% - Massachusetts 35% - Pennsylvania 70%
California 70% - Michigan 70% - Rhode Island 70%
Colorado 27% - Minnesota 50% - South Carolina 27%
Connecticut 35% - Mississippi 28% - South Dakota 35%
Delaware 70% - Missouri 35% - Tennessee 35%
Florida 28% - Montana 35% - Texas 35%
Georgia 32% - Nebraska 35% - Utah 43%
Hawaii 35% - Nevada 28% - Vermont 70%
Idaho 35% - New Hampshire 70% - Virginia 43%
Illinois 70% - New Jersey 70% - Washington 35%
Indiana 30% - New Mexico 20% - West Virginia 35%
Iowa 70% - New York 70% - Wisconsin 50%
Kansas 35% - North Carolina 32% - Wyoming 28%
Kentucky 35% - North Dakota 70%

The lower the percentage, the darker the tint.

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
It’s not that simple. There are different requirements for front vs. rear windows and passenger cars vs. vans/suvs; notice min-vans/suvs come tinted in the rear. In this case, it is good that the Mz5 is seen as a mini-van :)

@ benee - I've never had any issues with 20% in PA but I know NJ LEOs can be strict on tint. I know a few people who got tickets. IMHO, 35% is probably the lowest safe percentage. Keep in mind a black interior will make the tint appear darker from the outside. Also, different brands of tint has slight different hues and may appear +/1 darker too.

@ benee - I've never had any issues with 20% in PA but I know NJ LEOs can be strict on tint. I know a few people who got tickets. IMHO, 35% is probably the lowest safe percentage. Keep in mind a black interior will make the tint appear darker from the outside. Also, different brands of tint has slight different hues and may appear +/1 darker too.

Thanks. Any shade on the rear windows is fine in NJ. they dont allow any tint on the front windows though... some people in NJ go ahead and get their front windows tinted anyway, but I just dont want to deal with any hassles from the police or come inspection time. I think 20% on the rear windows should be just about right to keep the kiddos shaded and keep the interior a bit cooler.

Check out the 3M Crystalline stuff if you want to keep cool. The stuff is freaky! It's not dark at all, but man does it block sun....like an oak tree.

Check out the 3M Crystalline stuff if you want to keep cool. The stuff is freaky! It's not dark at all, but man does it block sun....like an oak tree.

You are totally right! the crystalline is freaky with heat blocking! I ended up getting the color guard 20% on the rear windows and got the crystalline 50% on my front windows today. the 50% crystalline does have a tint to it, but is significantly lighter than my back 20% tint so I hopefully won't get pulled over in NJ!

Edit to add, i would have paid $185 + tax for FX premium on the rear/sides of the car. I ended up spending more than that since I upgraded from the FX premium and ended up getting my front windows done as well.

Last edited:
I got mine tinted for 130.00 at tint masters in Durham. 50% all the way around..

I just got my 5 done here in MA and got 35% all the way around and it ran me 180.they took a hour and a half to do.its got lifetime warranty

Here's a good site for reference to "legal" limit for each window, by state. Each state enforces it differently.

http://tintlaws.com/?hsCtaTracking=...305b3dfe|5beacaa0-83e4-4345-bfea-91c04f6f3780

It would be a lot more helpful to other if folks also post the product (make and line) used with said quotes. Without reference to the quality of the tint, it’s really not too helpful. You can also make comment to the quality of the tint job and if you would refer the shop, or not.

There's a local tint shop running a $99 special (lowest grade film and for standard 4 windows) but I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:
Speaking about tinting, I I just got a a fix-it ticket for the front windows. So after I fix-it, what tint will block uv while being as clear as possible?

The window glass by itself blocks most of the UV. It appears 3M Crystalline is the clearest for the most heat blocking and provides 99.9% uv blocking.

Speaking about tinting, I I just got a a fix-it ticket for the front windows. So after I fix-it, what tint will block uv while being as clear as possible?

Check out the Crystalline for heat reduction. Expect to pay about $199 for the front two windows.

Cool, I'm ok paying that price. It's worth being able to get inside my car after being outside in 105 deg weather without getting burnt.

Cool, I'm ok paying that price. It's worth being able to get inside my car after being outside in 105 deg weather without getting burnt.
YES! Also keeps the family happy and safe, the interior (interior trim, especially leather) from over exposure, and give the AC an extra +10 hp (or is that -10 degree)kick in the much needed pants :D

Aside from added cost and potential fit-it-ticket if you go too dark, the advantages are far superior to disadvantages.

YES! Also keeps the family happy and safe, the interior (interior trim, especially leather) from over exposure, and give the AC an extra +10 hp (or is that -10 degree)kick in the much needed pants :D

Aside from added cost and potential fit-it-ticket if you go too dark, the advantages are far superior to disadvantages.

Ditto what he said. It is a dramatic difference in keeping the car cool, and the AC seems to work much more quickly. My little ones stay much more comfortable in the summer heat with the crystalline.

Back