Timing Belts - The Root of ALL Evil!

Well OK, I give. (I checked myself before I started the car and drove back home from my office.)

Did you have your belt checked by the dealer at 165k miles then? Because if they did and they said it was good you might have a case against them here.

nope, its considered wear and tear. just because the person inspected it wrong doesnt mean its their fault it snapped. i've had a perfectly good belt get lose and snap but seemed fine a day prior. it happens

nope, its considered wear and tear. just because the person inspected it wrong doesnt mean its their fault it snapped. i've had a perfectly good belt get lose and snap but seemed fine a day prior. it happens

My mazda dealership says they won't even inspect a timing belt, they just change them. I know this because I'm approaching the 168000km mark and I've got to get it done. Is it worth getting the water pump changed too? I don't see anything about this in the maintenance schedule yet almost every time I see someone mention that they're getting their timing belt changed they get their water pump replaced too. Why is that?

Because to change the timing belt you have to remove the water pump. Since the water pump is going to go out eventually you might as well change it while it's out rather than have them go through everything again.

I would think you can see a lot by inspecting the belt, but to do so properly means that you have to take it off at least on the upper side and look for wear on the inside when bending it the other way and do so all the way around. Basicly you have done at least half of the replacement job right there, naturally most mechanics would finish the job when gotten that far.

Anyways, my schedule for those interested:
Timing belt and tensioner spring every 100kkm (63k miles)
Timing belt, idler, tensioner pulley, tensioner spring and water pump every 200kkm. (126k miles) By doing this at a dealer I get timing belt warrany all the way, I think that's worth the extra $$.

Maybe because it's lasted so long? I haven't heard of them making a timing belt.
My bad, they only make one of the accessory belts in blue, probably the Alt since the part number looked like it was the 4 rib belt. They do make the blue timing belts for other motors, just not ours.

My bad, they only make one of the accessory belts in blue, probably the Alt since the part number looked like it was the 4 rib belt. They do make the blue timing belts for other motors, just not ours.

It still bother me that such a reputable belt manufacturer incorrectly lists our motor as "interference"

Glad the P5 is rejuvenated!

The mazda F2 engine is listed as interference. I know it is not as I have replaced 1 slipped belt and 1 broken belt and the engines were unharmed (driving the last one now since I took out my P5). So don't believe everything you read.

Inspecting belts is worthwhile if you don't know its age. If its got oil on it, looks dry, can see cracks in the ribs or any amount of fraying its gotta be replaced. Otherwise its probably ok.

The water pump does not need to be removed to do the belt, shops upsell that "because they're in there anyway and the belts gotta come off to r&r the pump". I do my own wrenching so I don't care. For someone who never opens their hood its a good investment.

Glad the P5 is rejuvenated!

The mazda F2 engine is listed as interference. I know it is not as I have replaced 1 slipped belt and 1 broken belt and the engines were unharmed (driving the last one now since I took out my P5). So don't believe everything you read.

Inspecting belts is worthwhile if you don't know its age. If its got oil on it, looks dry, can see cracks in the ribs or any amount of fraying its gotta be replaced. Otherwise its probably ok.

The water pump does not need to be removed to do the belt, shops upsell that "because they're in there anyway and the belts gotta come off to r&r the pump". I do my own wrenching so I don't care. For someone who never opens their hood its a good investment.

Even if you do the replacement yourself, it's still a pain in the a$$ to have to do it twice b/c of a failed water pump. If you go with the 105k mile change interval, I'd change the pump every time. If going with the 60k mile change interval, I'd do the pump every other time.

True, but I look at it as practice. I've done enough F2 timing belts that I can get them done in about 1.5 hours now. That and I'm a cheap bastard. I only replace it if its broke. Water pumps usually give you enough advance warning before catastrophic failure. But if it doesn't I'll just fix it anyway, warped head and all.......

I would think you can see a lot by inspecting the belt, but to do so properly means that you have to take it off at least on the upper side and look for wear on the inside when bending it the other way and do so all the way around. Basicly you have done at least half of the replacement job right there, naturally most mechanics would finish the job when gotten that far.

Anyways, my schedule for those interested:
Timing belt and tensioner spring every 100kkm (63k miles)
Timing belt, idler, tensioner pulley, tensioner spring and water pump every 200kkm. (126k miles) By doing this at a dealer I get timing belt warrany all the way, I think that's worth the extra $$.

yea pretty much lol. but bleh timing belts are so annoying

So now I am TOTALLY confused - I was told by a mazda dealer that our engines have an interference head and now I'm reading here that we don't have interference heads..... so which is it?

So now I am TOTALLY confused - I was told by a mazda dealer that our engines have an interference head and now I'm reading here that we don't have interference heads..... so which is it?

Your Mazda Dealership is smoking crack...our motors are NON-INTERFERENCE. It's only through these misinformed dealer, auto parts stores reps, and apparently the entire Gates Belt Company that the argument has been perpetuated.

IF we had an interference engine the OP would have said 'engine destroyed' and not 'replaced belt and everything is okay'.

Evidence says: Non-interference.

So if they are non-interference, I can wait to change the belt right?

But then again, Debbi's engine got destroyed by this.. so wouldn't that make it interference?

So if they are non-interference, I can wait to change the belt right?

But then again, Debbi's engine got destroyed by this.. so wouldn't that make it interference?

I would hesitate to say that her motor got destroyed by a broken timing belt - no offense debbi, if you're reading this, but she didn't seem like she entirely knew what caused her engine to break, only that there was a broken timing belt (she never mentioned opening it up and actually finding damage to the engine).

I suppose if your valve springs are weak enough, the piston could hit your valves, but that is almost impossible. Our engines are non-interference.

******' sweet!

That's one less cost I have to worry about for a little while, and one more mod! =)

No offense taken slavrenz - you're right, I didn't actually open her up..... I just assumed that it was destroyed based on the fact that the dealer (it was a FORD dealer who also sells Mazdas by the way and definately NOT my usual dealer) told me that it had an interference head. It pisses me off that I might have been able to get away with just replacing the timing belt...... however with almost 180,000 miles on my original engine and the fact that I was starting to burn a little oil it was probably only a matter of time anyway I guess. We're keeping the old motor and plan on rebuilding it when this one dies. Thanks again for all of your posts - I can't believe how much I've learned and continue to learn from all of you!

Back