Timing belt replacement cost and cobin air filter

mopiko

Contributor
Two questions, after I did a quick search I found nothing:

1) My car now has 84k miles and in need of a timing belt change. Anyone done this and know how much it will cost me?

2) I keep getting coupons from Mazda dealers about in-cabin air filter (not the engine air filter) but it was my impression that Protege5 does not have in-cabin air filter? Am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1) I don't know

2) The dealership told me my MSP does not have an incabin filter, and recommended some kind of deodorant spray for the HVAC.

cost 500 ish, u figure a timing belt there prolly about 5 hrs on the labor side even if it can be done quicker and most shops are about 70 bux average so

thats 350, and then the belt and nething else

SkinnyJoint said:
cost 500 ish, u figure a timing belt there prolly about 5 hrs on the labor side even if it can be done quicker and most shops are about 70 bux average so

thats 350, and then the belt and nething else

Thanks, actually I called my dealership today and got a very similar number. Now I have second information so I know they are not BS-ing me. Maybe I should consider do this myself...

mopiko said:
Two questions, after I did a quick search I found nothing:

1) My car now has 84k miles and in need of a timing belt change. Anyone done this and know how much it will cost me?

Thanks in advance.

Timing belt is a simple job for any shop to do and will cost the most having it done at the dealer. You can probably find a local shop that will do the job for about $250. If you are comfortable with your mechanical skills then do it yourself. The belt itself is probably only $35.

peepsalot said:
it really takes 5 hours labor??

No. Book time may be five hours and that's with the service writer wrongly stacking "interference time" (+.3 to remove a/c belt, +.3 to remove alt belt, etc..). A good tech can have it changed out in an hour or so. Timing belt in that motor is VERY easy.

But don't you have to take out a lot of crap to get to it? I mean, we're not talking about just the fan and alternator belts...

Will our engines s*** the bed if the timing belt breaks? In other words, do we have a non-interference engine or not?

chuyler1 said:
Will our engines s*** the bed if the timing belt breaks? In other words, do we have a non-interference engine or not?

Wow... you lost me on that one... someone educate me please ? hehe

chuyler1 said:
I think I've heard people claim both, so I don't know who to believe.

Wow... you lost me on that one... someone educate me please ? hehe
If an engine is an interference type, that means when the timing belt breaks, it is possible for the open valves and the top of the piston to occupy the same space at the same time, this is bad. If the timing belt is on right, the valve is never opened fully when the piston is at top dead center, but when it breaks so does your engine.
In a non-interference, it is impossible for the valve and piston to touch.

mopiko said:
Humm... I see... so if my timing belt slap, my motor is pretty much finished?

The Pro5 has an interference motor. If the belt breaks then there will likely be some damage to some of the valves, head and/or pistons.

mopiko said:
But don't you have to take out a lot of crap to get to it?

In my opinion no. Basically remove the belts, disconnect passenger side motor mount and support motor with a jack, remove the crank pulley, remove the timing cover then swap the belt.... Put it all back together when finished. Keep the marks lines up properly.

Back