time to change tranny fluid (i think)

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
We bought the car w/ 27,000 miles and now its got 34,000 miles. I found out today that the dealership didn't do anything except a oil and filter change w/ air filter change. Now I'm thinking its time for a fluid change in the transmission and time for new spark plugs. Has anyone replaced the filter/fluid in their auto transmission? Details? I want synthetic in mine.

Do you have a Jiffy Lube near you? I'm having mine changed in a week or two. Their T-Tech service and having them put in Mobile 1. They said it's about $55 and takes 10 minutes up to 45 min depending on how fast it flushes out.

Yeah, i've got a Jiffy lube and wouldn't mind spending 55 on getting it done. You are getting synthetic (mobil 1) in your auto for 55!?! I paid 75 to get a normal change in my Explorer at Express Oil (basically same). I'll call jiffy lube. Its definitely worth $55.

Well, I've called a place close by and it will cost me $89 for a normal fluid and filter change. I asked about sythetic and he wouldn't even give me a price b/c "if the manufacturer doesn't ask for it we don't do it." Then he told me my car should be fine b/c the newer cars only need it every 50K or 60K miles. Opinions?

davco said:
Well, I've called a place close by and it will cost me $89 for a normal fluid and filter change. I asked about sythetic and he wouldn't even give me a price b/c "if the manufacturer doesn't ask for it we don't do it." Then he told me my car should be fine b/c the newer cars only need it every 50K or 60K miles. Opinions?
I agree that every 50k should be sufficient. The Mazda shop manual doesn't even mention A/T fluid (an omission, obviously), but the engine coolant interval is 45k. In my experience, most manufacturers recommend the engine coolant and A/T fluid be changed at the same interval (although, I admit that my P5 is my first Mazda vehicle, so it MIGHT be different).

Anyone have the recommended interval for another Mazda (excluding the MSP or the truck)? It should be the same.

Jiffy lube will quote u a higher price... however our vehicle is very easy to flush so it will be lower $$. They do a decent job but if u want a good flush its worth it to have somewhere with better equipment do it.... clean the carbon deposits on the spool etc..

akhilleus said:
i think all tranny fluid is synthetic
Yep! More like a synthetic blend. I tried Mobile1 ATF in my other car. Didn't like it. . . started slipping. Went back to normal ATF and the slipping went away.

davco said:
Yeah, i've got a Jiffy lube and wouldn't mind spending 55 on getting it done. You are getting synthetic (mobil 1) in your auto for 55!?! I paid 75 to get a normal change in my Explorer at Express Oil (basically same). I'll call jiffy lube. Its definitely worth $55.
Well, slight correction! I forgot to mention that at the time of the quote (just an oh, by the way) I didn't ask about synthetic like Moble 1, so that will probably raise the price some. But we're regulars there (just a block from home) with two cars so maybe it won't be to much more.

how do i know when the fluid in the transmission is full? is there some kind of dipstick or anything? i changed to redline today and poured in the whole 3 quarts because some leaked out while i was filling it. i took it for a spin and it feels smoother but i want to make sure i put enough in there.

blackp5 said:
how do i know when the fluid in the transmission is full? is there some kind of dipstick or anything? i changed to redline today and poured in the whole 3 quarts because some leaked out while i was filling it. i took it for a spin and it feels smoother but i want to make sure i put enough in there.
According to the FSM, your car with M/T takes 2.83 qts (2.68 L). If you put in 3 qts you've got enough in there.

Back