Time for some new shoes

tonyj

My wife finally decided she wanted new rims on the 9. We currently have the stock 18's and will go w/ 20's. no bigger, as I still like a decent ride.
We will have them wrapped in the Yoko Paradas as well.

Here is a pic of the rim (Dub Drone 6)

Drone-C_6-500.jpg

Ooooh...I likey gunmetal. Me wants them....

I need to convince my wife that I need tires because they are worn and I need to replace the wheels because one or two current wheels are bent or some sort of white lie. LOL!

I really like these: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
OMG, bling bling.

20" is going to be nice on your CX-9.

Ok had them installed this morning. had to go w/ the 5 spoke design of the same rim. Due to AWD, which has a bigger brake caliper, there was a clearance issue.
Went with the Yoko Parada Spec-X 275/45/20, due the width of the rim (20x 8.5). I must say it looks good. Wife is VERY happy, as her new shoes look and fit good.
I will get pics uploaded this weekend hopefully.

Pictures of new shoes

Ok here are pix as promised, plz excuse the dirt, as it is nice and rainy today, and I had the camera to take a quick photo.
RIms: DUB Drone 5 (20x8.5) and Yoko Spec-X 275/45/20

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 267
Tony, I am glad you upgraded to 20" but I am not a fan of chrome, even though my CX-9 has the OEM Mazda 18" wheels that are chromed, I would exchange mine with anyone that wants them for regular OEM silver 18" wheels or better yet anyone with the OEM GT's 20" alloys. Too bad you dont live near me otherwise I would ask you if you would be interested in swapping my chrome ones for your silver ones....

Well if we were close, I would definetly be interested in the swap. I am having snows mounted ont he OEM rims

Bling bling is not my cup of tea either.

But, I am glad Tony is happy with the new wheels and most importantly, the wife likes them!! (yippy) I also like the stance of the 275/45/20 tires which is much better IMO, it looks more sporty. What is the offset of DUB Drone 5?

yes 22 will fit, you can go all the way up to 26". I thought about 22's but I still like a nice ride

Sorry to highjack this thread, but...

If anyone in Southern California is interested in swapping their OEM GT 20" wheels/tires with my OEM 18" Chrome Touring wheels/tires, please let me know.

I know that it may not sound like a fair deal but certain people will prefer the smoother ride that the 18" provide plus not to mention the Chrome finish (not my cup of tea as mentioned above).

Couldn't pay me to put anything bigger than 18s on our '9. smoother ride, and don't have the ridiculous looking non-existent sidewall.

That is why Mazda made more than just one CX-9, you have yours and I have mine. That way we can do whatever we want to our vehicles , to suit our tastes.

18" or 20"....how much smoother can your ride be?

Fat butt or skinny butt might makes the difference...

It's not that bad, but it is noticeable. I'm running 18's right now for the winter and there's definitely a difference.

But I'll take the performance and little bit bumpier ride over the 18" snow tires I'm running now. It's killing me to drive this way all slow and sh*t.

Bigger wheels don't improve performance. It's a look, nothing else. In fact, they reduce performance as well as ride comfort.

Um I would beg to differ, wtih a lower side wall profile, which will reduce side wall flex and a wider track. You will indeed improve your traction and handling. Yes, ride comfort will suffer, but performance would increase. Of course there is a fine line, b/c you can go TOO big and have an adverse effect on everything. But putting 20 inch rims will not have an adverse effect on performance.

All the complaints about ride are GT owners. That's enough for me.

I like my 20 inch and don't complain a bit. The GTs 20 looks nice and rides decent.

GT's 245/50/20 has 50 series thickness and it is what you should really compare not just 18 vs. 20 which is a bit misleading.:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. I have the GT with Micheline Latitude Tour in 255X50X20. The ride and handling are awesome. Compare 18" to 18" and 20" to 20" but not to one another.

Just my .02C

It has been tested by auto magazines many times in the past.
Same diameter, bigger wheel will be (same tire, diff sizes)
- slightly slower - 0-60 due to heavier combination
- stop slightly longer - same reason
- slightly better road-holding g
The differences are very slight.
20" certainly looks better on a big vehicle, IMHO.

Back