Tie rod end boot question

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,

I recently had my inner tie rod replaced.

My question is I saw a zip tie just dangling from the actual tie rod end (not over the boot end). I would assume the zip tie would be used to clamp down the end of the new boot closest to the tire. When I confronted the garage owner, he said that wasn't even needed as most new boots fit very snug on the small end and do not require any clamping. However, all I've read in the last day or so says otherwise.

Also, the clamp for the side closest to the steering rack looks like just a metal cable possibly wrapped around that end but not twisted together tight - it just looks like it was wrapped around and then left. I know some will twist the ends together to snug up the wire - that wasn't done.

I don't feel good about this at all. I'll try and get under and look again tonight. There doesn't appear to be any grease or anything leaking out of the small end of the boot yet (if it even would). Should I just twist the wire up tight for the larger end?

Are you guys aware of tie rod end boots that don't need clamps on the smaller end? This would have been purchased from Napa.

Thoughts?

Thanks

First off, without pictures its difficult to imagine what you are talking about.

Tie rod ends are replaced without any zip ties or clamps to hold on the boots, anything extra would mean that someone is trying to repair something they messed up or something that needs replacing.

Most of the kits that I found online came with zip ties to clamp the boot down. I put a zip tie on the end closest to the tire because i could twist the boot around the whole tie rod easily. The fact they didn't clamp it down just doesn't sit well with me. It makes me wonder about the quality of the job as the inner tier rod end is a safety concern.

I looked at the other side, the side they didn't touch, and the boot is very securely clamped down on the end closest to the tie and the thing won't budge at all.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Does the bout have to be completely clamped so it doesn't move? I'll try and get pics Wednesday.

Thanks

I thought you were referring to zip ties on the outer tie rod end... Take some pics otherwise we get confused and have limited ability to help you

well one of my boots ripped off apparently a long time ago and i just noticed a few weeks ago, obviously they arent 100% needed (even though they hold grease)

This is the way the FSM shows it,...

steering%20boot_zpsjed4atid.jpg

steering%20boot%202_zpsv1uvhypr.jpg

Latest posts

Back