Throttle Body Issue (Pics)

Lunatik

:
2003.5 MSP
As i was driving today, i shifted and the turkey went off but after it sounded like something popped off and now there is a noise that sounds like air is escaping.... I found that there is something missing here on the throttle body. When i cover the hole, the noise goes away and the engine sounds fine but when i remove my finger it bogs a little and fixes itself but has the air noise again.. Was there a screw in here or what?

2012-02-26165104.jpg

2012-02-26165036.jpg

Please help guys. I need to fill that with something. It is right where the IC pipe connects

its actually not that same exact spot you are showing me but a little higher.. its literally at the tip of the opening of the throttle body

Yeah, It's a Phillips head screw.. not sure if it's for idle or Air fuel adjustment.. I had to look at mine other TB that's off of the car...

I just tried to unscrew it out to get the size and length for you, but it just spins and doesn't come out..sorry

Last edited:
Dude, I think your screwed..no pun intended...But I managed to get it out...but it is a special screw...looks to be a 6mm screw with O-ring on the head, it's 20mm long with a dog point that is 8-9mm long.. LMK if you wanna to see a picture...

I would try idle adjustment screw, best bet would probably be a junkyard. 626s and Proteges with the 2.0L FSDE probably all have the same screw.

He would have to get the whole throttle body, because of the o-ring on the head it will not let it unscrew out plus with it having the dog point on it and not completely threaded doesn't help things...Hey Lunatik, Just buy my extra throttle body if worse comes to worse...

I would try idle adjustment screw, best bet would probably be a junkyard. 626s and Proteges with the 2.0L FSDE probably all have the same screw.

ok so ive been reading and basically my idle adjustment screw decided to abandon me and flew off while driving yesterday.. i will try to find one and screw it in and see what happens. if not, we'll talk mazdaspeed41 lol

You could just get an entire replacement from a junk yard for less than the cost of the screw.

Also, from experience.. that screw is set at the factory and not intended to ever be moved for any reason. The Automatic adjuster is supposed to function within a tolerance and if you move that screw it will never work properly.

The Mazda dealer wants $15 for the screw but im guessing theres no point if its not gonna work properly... BTW my idle is perfect though without the screw (screwy) I just have that high air leak noise coming from the TB

You could buy the screw but you may not be able to set it right. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to do.

This screw is what controls the amount of air bled around the throttle plate which essentially raises idle which should not need to be touched stock. One of the first steps I was told to do by Juan with my Haltech and larger injectors and in the Microtech install instructions is to back this screw out until air leaks then a half turn back to allow for more stability at idle for those of us with accessories to power. Unless of course a stepper motor is used which does the same basic thing allowing fine adjustments via tuning software. I have several of those screws if you still need one.

Back