Throttle Body Ground (by loudboxer)

Anyone notice a difference on their MS3? Ill do it just for kicks, and I have some nifty 8awg black stinger wire that I bought and have nothing to do with! Ill say if I can feel a difference....

Though my cars been running funky, so maybe Ill wait for my purge sensor and gas cap to be replaced so I dont have a CEL that is honestly killing my cars perfomance! TAKE A CAR IN TO GET CHECKED OVER AND THEY DONT EVEN NOTICE MY CEL IS ON!!!!!!! Soon as I started driving my car I noticed and turned around and pulled right back in the service area to be told "their to busy to check the CEL now, we'll just assume whats wrong and have you come back and fix that" My car was there all day! THATS B.S.!!!!!

2497424_57_full.jpg

bbrich57 said:
I know this is a doom 'n' gloom post, but don't expect it to last too long. The ECU in the 3 re-learns and compensates for it.
I was extremely happy w/this at first too, but in order for it to work consistently you have to reset the ECU about every 100 miles or so.

Actually you are wrong.

The lag was not designed into the system. The lag is a result of a VERY slight deficiency in the system, and all you do by doing this mod is strengthen the ground that is already supposed to be there. Yes an ECU can "learn" around mods, but you are not understanding how the learning process, and the goals of the ECU work. The ECU is there to (and this is grossly oversimplifying it) keep the a/f within parameters, listen for detonation< and control timing via that, in other words it gives as much timing as it can until it hears knock, then backs itself down till it doesnt hear it anymore. This is VERY largely affected by the fuel quality and air density) and keep the rest of the systems running smoothly.

If you just make a ground more solid, the ECU isnt going to really SEE any difference. All it will know is things are operating as they should have been, before you did the mod. In other words, the ecu will be blind to the fact that anything has changed. It isnt looking for the lag, so when the lag isnt there, it wont see that its gone. The bad ground isnt something the ecu is looking for to create the lag. The ecu isnt TRYING to create the lag at all. Its a result of the weak ground path.

The things an ECU can learn around, are mods that are honestly, dangerous to begin with.

Add an intake and get power and your ECU learned around it? Then you were running lean from it, and the ECU stopped you from blowing your motor up. (well, in some cases the car is programmed to run too rich to begin with, in which case you are still screwed)

Moved the timing sensor down at the crank to gain timing, and the ecu learned around it? That would mean that you gave too much timing, the ecu heard knock, and pulled timing to compensate.

Simply helping out the ground path of something on the car is NOT something the ecu will "learn around"

If anything, it would learn that now it can be slightly more agressive and give more timing. Which is often the case in cars where grounding the coilpacks yeilds power. (not all cars will see gains from that, some will). The car will often pick up a couple more hp as the ecu learns, because a stronger spark will give a very slightly higher detonation ceiling. This is all ideal situation of course.

clos561 said:
how can you tell..i would do this .. it takes like 3 dollars

Look at your throttle body. If it has a couple cables going to it, it's not electronic.
If it has like a 6-wire plug going into it (not the TPS or AIC) and a motor on the side, then it probably is.

I'm sure somebody could post up who has one but I'm 90% sure that they are ETB. All North American Mazda3 models have ETB, as far as I know.

clos561 said:
where the **** is the throttle body? i tried to find it but maybe i jsut dont know what to look for....
Look at the front of the engine; you will see the aluminum intake manifold bolted to the block. Now look to the right (driver's side) of the manifold and you will see an aluminum block with a black connector on it, bolted to the manifold. That's the throttle body, and you will also realize why the throttle body ground is unnecessary.

I am speaking about the speed3. I don't know about the NA ones.

Rotus8 said:
Look at the front of the engine; you will see the aluminum intake manifold bolted to the block. Now look to the right (driver's side) of the manifold and you will see an aluminum block with a black connector on it, bolted to the manifold. That's the throttle body, and you will also realize why the throttle body ground is unnecessary.

I am speaking about the speed3. I don't know about the NA ones.
ok

Yeah, I was looking through the bay and I found the TB which is crouched pretty well in the back of the bay. If you follow the intake tubing, you'll find the intake manifold, which Rotus8 said and further down the tubing is the TB. You will also see that there is a screw popping out of the TB which you can connect with the wiring.

When I got the neccessary equipment, I found that it was going to be too much work for a little gain, so I returned everything back in 5 minutes of coming out of the store :p

BlackJack said:
Yeah, I was looking through the bay and I found the TB which is crouched pretty well in the back of the bay. If you follow the intake tubing, you'll find the intake manifold, which Rotus8 said and further down the tubing is the TB. You will also see that there is a screw popping out of the TB which you can connect with the wiring.

When I got the neccessary equipment, I found that it was going to be too much work for a little gain, so I returned everything back in 5 minutes of coming out of the store :P

Haha...(silly)

Lol, yeah, stupid me. I should've looked in the bay to see where it is first then decided on whether to get it or not.

Suggestion for MS3 owners: I would not get this mod as you will go through a lot of trouble for just a little gain. I would get the CAI and expensive s*** other than this.

I read earlier that that non-US models have cable-throttles...so does that mean that Canadian 3s would not benefit from this? I'm asking for a buddy of mine since I own an MP3 and would obviously not benefit from this myself, and I have no idea if he has an ETB or not...

Pretty sure all North American models are the same.

As far as I know, the only ones with cable throttles are the Euro models. And even then, I don't think they're all cable throttle, just specific engines.

throttle body ground

i just completed the throttle body ground and i noticed a slight increase in accel and smoother shifts.

very easy to do and un-do if not satisfied with the mod.

Latest posts

Back