Three for one Week

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
While I know this is the CX-9 forum, I had to share the failures of my wife's 09 CX-7 GT this past week.

Issue 1:
Had her car home last Thursday to fix some Homelink programming issues I have with my new Liftmaster IQ garage door lifters. Apparently the OEM Homelink buttons don't use the latest Homelink 4.0 specification which was distributed to automotive manufacturers back in 2007. A work around is a Homelink repeater kit that converts the older spec to the newer spec. While this works great in my CX-9, her newer CX-7, with the same mirror has issues and doesn't work reliably.

Issue 2:
While parked in the driveway, with the engine running, trying to reprogram the mirror, her CX-7 started billowing smoke out the exhaust. A LOT of smoke which kept burning away in the exhaust pipes even after I shut off the engine. Brought it into local Mazda service and was guessed to be the dreaded "Turbo" issue, which has now been re-stated as a gasket pressure issue which happens when the turbo isn't run very often....(go figure). She drives 16 miles round trip every day to work and never gets over 50. She drives like an old lady and get's pissed when I fire up the engine down the highway on the occasional time I drive her car. She's at 40K miles and Mazda covered the entire repair under her drivetrain warranty and even gave her a free Enterprise rental car for the day fix. Service guy told her to "drive it like a rental" and let the ponies out once in a while.

Issue 3:
This past weekend after her car was returned to us, I decided to give it a good detailing. I had bought some Iron-X to see if it would work on the minute rust spots all along the lower panels of her pearl white doors. This stuff works awesome. Then did my first claybar treatment on a car. Worked awesome. Finished up the detailing with a cleaning on the inside cabin. With the car OFF, I cleaned around the dash and pressed the CD button. The door of the NAV display slid down, the CD popped out, and that was the end of the life of her 6-CD changer/NAV system. I could not get the screen to close. Per the guidance you guys posted on here, I pulled the batter, fuse overnight and it did nothing other than wipe out her bluetooth, address book and everything. Mazda Service called today and indicated a NEW system would cost $4500, but my extended warranty would cover the re-furb that costs $2200.

I have nothing but praise for my local Mazda Service team. They are the reason I would consider another Mazda, when the time comes. All I can say is thank god for her 100K/120 Month extended warranty. She get's it all fixed for $100.

Last edited:
The ten year warranty you got is it a mazda warranty? if not what kind of warranty did you get.

While I know this is the CX-9 forum, I had to share the failures of my wife's 09 CX-7 GT this past week.

Issue 2:
While parked in the driveway, with the engine running, trying to reprogram the mirror, her CX-7 started billowing smoke out the exhaust. A LOT of smoke which kept burning away in the exhaust pipes even after I shut off the engine. Brought it into local Mazda service and was guessed to be the dreaded "Turbo" issue, which has now been re-stated as a gasket pressure issue which happens when the turbo isn't run very often....(go figure). She drives 16 miles round trip every day to work and never gets over 50. She drives like an old lady and get's pissed when I fire up the engine down the highway on the occasional time I drive her car. She's at 40K miles and Mazda covered the entire repair under her drivetrain warranty and even gave her a free Enterprise rental car for the day fix. Service guy told her to "drive it like a rental" and let the ponies out once in a while.

These turbos are known for smoking. I have an ms6 and I use rotella T6 and haven't have any smoking issues. The thicker oil help with the smoke prevention.

Back