Thoughts on 2.0 Manual vs 2.5 Auto

Yeah, I completely understand that as well. It is just the 'enthusiast' mentality that bugs me sometimes...... that a lesser outcome from more effort somehow automagically translates into more enjoyment and is a badge of honor. You see the same thing with audiophiles, the PC master race, coffee snobs, etc. where people deliberately makes things difficult for themselves to self-justify their hobby and prove how awesomely elite they are.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here, but there are definite leanings.

When I was in college back in the '80's, there a reference in an engineering class to "High Tech, High Touch". The gist of it was that people involved in high tech often seek "high touch" (manual/simpler/primal) activities to offset the tech overload. Perhaps this what the manual is to some, just more of a basic man-machine connection much like the stick and rudder is to a vintage biplane pilot. Is there anything wrong with folks that enjoy the "craft" of their pastime? I know astronomers who grind their own mirrors and lenses, photographers who still process in darkrooms, and so on. I don't think these folks are trying to prove how "awesomely elite" they are, perhaps they are just enjoying something they like to do or preserving an art or craft. Self-driving cars are in the news everyday, how much fun will that be?

Last edited:
I owned many manual cars, and manuals certainly belong in high HP sports cars. Nothing funner than ripping through the gears on a V8 Mustang. I'm old for that anymore, too.

No doubt, I have owned high performance vehicles too. I had a streetbike with a Leo-Vince pipe that sounded amazing above 10K RPM. The problem was that it would hit triple-digit with three gears left.

The old adage that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow rings true, at least to me. I actually enjoy driving a manual, just to keep me busy and involved.

I agree with pretty much everything said. Having grown up on automatics, I was always interested in manuals and have owned many. Also being a biker, choosing the right gear for the situation is second nature. The biggest hassle were hill starts but that is resolved on the CX5. I don't understand the argument about having to work the clutch in traffic. I find it's easier to maintain a constant pace with a manual. Automatics will gradually increase speed when idling at a roll. Even in my Suburban I manually hold gears so I'm not constantly on the brake.

Another argument for a manual is the chance for less distractions. It's hard to talk on the phone, eat a sandwich and shift while going around a corner. Not impossible but you gotta pay attention. I also believe that it's safer driving in snow in a manual. You can easily downshift and spin the tires without getting crazy. I do this to find out how slippery it is out and adjust for the conditions. You can't easily do this with AWD either.

My last argument for preferring a manual is I tend to keep my cars for 100+k miles. My goal for the CX5 is 200k, I'm at 61k now. The complexity of automatics (twin-clutches, CVT, 8 speeds) is much greater now. If I lost a transmission, the replacement cost would come close to the value of the whole car. A manual, while using better materials is still very similiar to older designs and can be rebuilt at a more reasonable cost. But I've never had to even replace a clutch.

On the conversation of the 2.0 vs 2.5. I haven't driven the 2.5. I did test drive a 2.0 auto awd since the dealer didn't have a manual on hand. It was a dog and very appliance feeling. I was uninspired. With my cx5, I do have it floored more often than previous and current cars, (Suburban, Mazda6s, Corolla, Volvo v70) but I have plenty of power for normal conditions. I do have to wind it out and plan for a pass on the highway but I save a lot of money on gas compared to the other cars (except Corolla, they're about the same).

Aren't car conversations fun?

to some people its really fun to control your cars engine power/ rpms/torque through downshifting and upshifting

I tow trailers a fair amount so I went for the 2.5L engine with auto and AWD. If I didn't tow I'd just get the FWD and the 2.5L engine.

It's still a fun-to-drive car (without a trailer) even with the auto. My miata is stick so that's where I have fun shifting. Either transmission is a fine choice.

I can't comment on the 2.5 as I've never driven one, but the only thing I wish were different on the Sport model is the very limited paint color choices. The power is fine, especially in the city.

Latest posts

Back