Those that have done the balance shaft delete mod

Glocker23

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
What performace have you seen? How many miles have you been operating without it? What negatives have been seen? Can this be attributed to some blown motors that have been wandering on the boards?

u should really read up info on this mod before u going saying crap like that.

u want me to get into specifics on why it is safer??

A 17 pound cast iron monster lives right under cylinder # 3, blocking potential oil capacity and provides what i would guess is a pound or two of rotating mass ( rotating mass robs power from each revolution of a piston, so taking off or reducing rotating mass essentially gives you a motor that has to work less to produce power; lightweight pullys, flywheels, wheels, ect.)

The oil capacity goes up a quart or so with the removal of the balance shaft, which was a major selling point to me.
Ill let the blown motor threads and the speculation that the B/S (balance shaft) is causing some blown motors through inadequate oil distribution to be discovered elsewhere.

any questions texas.. or are u going to post another pointless remark.

Last edited:
I agree with what BoostedSpd6 has posted.

BTW, you can run more oil in the engine with a BS delete.

u want me to get into specifics on why it is safer?? ...

Now, I recognize I'm a "noob" here... but having been a member of many forums over the years, I have to say this is a "little" too harsh for a simple statement of doubt. He didn't say "what an idiot to think...." or "myths like that blow up engines", he merely stated he had doubts. You clearly had the information to refute it.

The purpose, hopefully, of this forum is for Mazda 6/MS6 owners and enthusiasts to get together, share information, stories, etc. Responding to a fairly polite doubter like that on "other" boards is at least rude. I myself have heard of cars in which removing the balance shafts was the next best thing to removing the oil. Clearing this up is a good thing...

Jon

(attention)

Now, I recognize I'm a "noob" here... but having been a member of many forums over the years, I have to say this is a "little" too harsh for a simple statement of doubt. He didn't say "what an idiot to think...." or "myths like that blow up engines", he merely stated he had doubts. You clearly had the information to refute it.

The purpose, hopefully, of this forum is for Mazda 6/MS6 owners and enthusiasts to get together, share information, stories, etc. Responding to a fairly polite doubter like that on "other" boards is at least rude. I myself have heard of cars in which removing the balance shafts was the next best thing to removing the oil. Clearing this up is a good thing...

Jon

not to make this a drama fest.. but texas did this mod to his car.. he clearly didnt know why he did it, or is playing dumb (jerkit).. since he installed this mod he should know that its safer since deleting the B/S involves some automotive know how and skill.. in any case of modifying ur vehicle u should know alittle bit about the aftermaket part, what the part does, how it improves the car and whats involved.. :)

BoostedSpd6. Thank you for your response. I will further look to see if there is a how to unless someone wants to post. Again just to confirm, doing something like this is ok for a daily driver right? I may see if the shop near me can do it without raping me on the price. Again thanks

u want me to get into specifics on why it is safer??

A 17 pound cast iron monster lives right under cylinder # 3, blocking potential oil capacity and provides what i would guess is a pound or two of rotating mass ( rotating mass robs power from each revolution of a piston, so taking off or reducing rotating mass essentially gives you a motor that has to work less to produce power; lightweight pullys, flywheels, wheels, ect.)

The oil capacity goes up a quart or so with the removal of the balance shaft, which was a major selling point to me.
Ill let the blown motor threads and the speculation that the B/S (balance shaft) is causing some blown motors through inadequate oil distribution to be discovered elsewhere.

I also looked into this, why the balance shaft is there, and what potential risks leaving it in or removing it may have. From what I've found, there is no conclusive proof that removing this protects the motor from failing. Although it sits directly under cyl #3, removing it doesn't guarantee your motor from blowing.

With that being said, if you do choose to remove it, you take out a fundamental component of the motor. When I say that, here's a little info on what that actually does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

Noone has run this on the DISI motor for a long term evaluation and report of any negatives that removing this may cause. I chose not to do it because I don't really see a benefit. Yes, it weighs 17 lbs., but the entire rotating assembly does not actually weigh that. The cradle itself is the heaviest component in the system. It also traps oil, so by removing it, you can fully flush the system on oil changes (at least better than stock).

Hopefully this helps clear any confusion up.

BoostedSpd6. Thank you for your response. I will further look to see if there is a how to unless someone wants to post. Again just to confirm, doing something like this is ok for a daily driver right? I may see if the shop near me can do it without raping me on the price. Again thanks

your welcome..

too add to what steve has posted.. if ur car is your daily driver, i dont think removing the B/S is a good idea..only if ur planning on building up the motor and going with a big turbo its a good idea because it gives u a lesser chance of blowing ur motor, but is not a guarentee.. i myslef feel that my motor is a bit safer without it there and that there are more positive's then negatives when doing the removal.. the vibrations are what everyone talks about but honestly i couldnt tell the difference..

also texas posted that he has run this for over 20,000 miles. which is kinda long term compared to everyone else.. i wonder if he has seen any negative effects??

Last edited:
Back