Those Taking Delivery of 2014 CX-5 w/ 2.5L Power Plant

STE92VE

Zoom Zoom Zoom
:
2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Fair is fair, please share your thoughts and experiences with the new 2.5L engine.

Driven both on a short run down a street. The 2.5l has more torque and feels better overall to me. The 2.0l would be fine if the 2.5l wasn't available. IMO i would go with the 2.5l because when in stop and go traffic, the 2.5l would have more power to get off the line vs the 2.0l which will require a little more throttle to get to the same speeds.

since the epa states there is no MPG difference, I choose the 2.5l. If you can get a deal for the 2.0l (2013 models since they are looking to sell off the rest of the inventory) and don't need the extra power it might be better for the particular person. It's not a night and day difference but it is somewhat noticeable.

btw - EPA states a small mileage difference on website (1 MPG city and highway and 2 MPG combined).

^Did salesperson say no difference (not surprised)?

btw - EPA states a small mileage difference on website (1 MPG city and highway and 2 MPG combined).

^Did salesperson say no difference (not surprised)?

my salesperson on the weekend said the same, no MPG difference.

Also got to see the SCBS in action - pretty impressive, and is on the tech package on the touring (differing from what I have been told before).
The 2.5L feels just that little bit better - what was missing from the 2.0L not significant but just enough.

This SCBS...can this be switched off? I'm not sure if I appreciate a computer deciding when I should brake or not.

This SCBS...can this be switched off? I'm not sure if I appreciate a computer deciding when I should brake or not.

Having been in stop and go freeway traffic on a frequent basis, I know just how easy it is to get distracted. This is one of the reasons I am waiting till I can get my hands on a '14, since I would rather the car apply brakes than me rear-end someone. If you haven't looked at the test videos of it on youtube, you may want to. I wouldn't ever rely upon it, but I think that it could be a useful feature personally.

If the the difference is not that noticeable, it would be interesting for someone to do a "blind" comparison test, where the a driver drives both cars (2.0 vs 2.5) but is not told which is which and see if he picks the 2.5 as the one with more "power."

it only engages very close to the object - by the time you should have applied some brake pressure at least.
I also believe there is a push for this to be standard - maybe not in the US but elsewhere

Hopefully, as with most of mazdas safety features, it isn't too intrusive. It would be reasonable to apply the brakes for someone automatically when within 4-6 feet of another car when going over x speed.

I would rather people be attentive so as not to rear-end somebody.

Who wouldn't? But accidents happen. They always have and always will. I also like the BSM system but that doesn't mean I don't shoulder check. These systems are meant to enhance safety. Not replace good driving habits.
But speaking of shoulder checking, that is the perfect instance where scbs is needed. I am a very good driver and haven't been in one "at fault" accident in my 20 years of driving. But, a few months ago I was driving along and decided to shoulder check and change lanes while following a safe distance from the car in front. The exact instant my eyes left the road the car in front of me hammered his brakes. We would have hit for sure if my wife hadn't yelled to stop. SCBS could be a great aid in situations as these.

Last edited:
This system, I believe, works up to a certain speed. Nevertheless, it is a nice thing to have for added safety.

Under 19 miles per hour. I am not certain why that is the cut off, but I am sure there is a reason for it. I would kind of prefer it to hit the brakes regardless of speed if a crash is imminent. I realize that the speed is probably based upon the distance needed to make a safe stop, etc.

I would rather people be attentive so as not to rear-end somebody.

That is my fear with these safety features. While I have no doubt those of us who try really hard to be safe drivers aren't going to rely on BSM or SCBS there are drivers who will rely on those things and potentially more accidents can come out of it. We shall see. I may or may not get SCBS it just depends if I get the '13 or the '14 which is undecided at this point (will depend on if we get a company bonus in March or not which I would use for the down payment).

If the the difference is not that noticeable, it would be interesting for someone to do a "blind" comparison test, where the a driver drives both cars (2.0 vs 2.5) but is not told which is which and see if he picks the 2.5 as the one with more "power."

Sticker shows the same mpg on the window. 32mgh highway. Website doesn't show anything yet as the my14 cx5 isn't listed on mazdas website yet.

Taking delivery right now.

Sticker shows the same mpg on the window. 32mgh highway. Website doesn't show anything yet as the my14 cx5 isn't listed on mazdas website yet.

Taking delivery right now.

See EPA website-Find a Car (2014 model year, Mazda CX-5) for official numbers. Numbers are not the same from 2013 2.0L to 2014 2.5L.

Note: Now I see what you are reading, the CX-5 highway rating for the fwd version only is the same at 32 mpg, the city ratings and combined ratings are not the same. So only the highway rating shows on window sticker?

Last edited:
My mistake too. I was only reading hwy mpg. The city is down to 25 and combine down to 27.

Just deive home and the 2.5l has way more down low torque. Didn't even go over 3k to get it going.

Back