Thinking of turbocharging your P5? Here's a guide for getting started...

ok now i understand thanks but should will an ssafc get me into the 350 whp area from what i figured up with everything im gona be looking at around 6k. if i cant get 350whp or more from that much money im not gona do it

ok now i understand thanks but should will an ssafc get me into the 350 whp area from what i figured up with everything im gona be looking at around 6k. if i cant get 350whp or more from that much money im not gona do it

Building the motor is the costly part. It is possible, definitely. Justanothermp5 has a lot of experience with where youcan spend your money to reach your goal. It's not going to be easy. All I can say is build a motor and go from there. Do it right the first time and have the peace of mind. These motors can easily go boom 10psi+. It's the weak internal that make the motor unreliable (rods and pistons). Even with my setup I don't think I'll hit 300whp. XD

The main piece to the build that will give you big numbers are to:

Upgrade to fmic for better air flow
Bigger turbo ( need to build motor, unless you plan to run under 10 psi)
Upgrade to 505 intake manifold (quoted a 34whp gain)
Ssafc or anything better ( can add 30whp)
Upgrade to 440cc for higher boost
Wideband for tunning purposes.
Exhaust system preferrably 3" ( down pipe, and mid-pipe till the end)

Others can add to the list or subtract. That's my experience at the moment. Of course there's other small things I'm missing, but it's a general list.

I was planing on going with the pauter rods weisco pistons. Havnt decided on bearings yet. Head will be rebuilt completly with dual valve springs 3 angle valve job. Gt30 turbo steed speed exhaust mani. The rest I havnt fully decided on but you get the idea. But I'm just questioning reliability I've seen the horror stories but should I havte to worry if its tuned conservitivly? For the same amount of money I can buy a 240sx do a rb25 swap up the boost and tune it and have 350-400 whp with otherslight mods and itl be a stock motor with way more potential and reliability. Why is it so hard to have a fast turbo car?

because its not a honda bro lol . i dont think ill turbo my p5 no more sounds like a headche

Turbo'ing the car is easy. It's just upping the boost is the scary part. If you don't boost high and just want the boost to have when you want to downshift, then I don't see a reason not to. There are plenty of kits on the for sale section for anyone who wanted to do one fairly quickly.

Speaking of that, someone should pick up that high boost kit!

so if i get the stand alone i wont have to worry about teh ssaf or whatever its called. yeah im new around mazdas so bare with me please

so if i get the stand alone i wont have to worry about teh ssaf or whatever its called. yeah im new around mazdas so bare with me please

The SSAFC (Split second air fuel calibrator, version 2) would be a lot easier to use versus the standalone unless you're planning to go for big number 400+ then i would for sure go with standalone. If you don't plan on going that high in power then i would stick to a SSFTC ( split second fuel timing controller , version 3). There's a lot of information about the SSAFC and has a whole thread dedicated to it. I currently run the FTC atm.

For the standalone, there are only a hand full of people that have standalone. To find help with them will be hard on the forum and mostly likely need to go for a outside source for information.

You should use the msp ecu with the ssafc. The msp ecu automatically dump fuel into the engine when in boost. The non turbo Ecu doesn't have the option of dumping fuel when in boost (I think someone else said this earlier). With the afc w/msp ecu, you only have to adjust the air to fuel.

Does anybody know of a way to bypass the cel I would get for not having vtcs? Besides unhooking the light

Alrighty so just getting into boost and have a few questions

I am trying to figure out is where to tee off my vac lines from and to my BOV. I have a greddy type s with the two nipples.

Also the waste gate actuator on my turbo has two nipples. Now I know one connects to my MBC but the other I am not too sure.

Any insight would be appreciated thanks!!

What kinda WGA do you have? You can tee off from the manifold or get a vac block off the brake booster.

wow thanks neox, its been a project that i been meaning to start but dont know much about turbocharging and the behind the tricks of the trade of it. just one question, i drive my p5 everyday, is there a "safe" HP or psi range i should stay? i want more HP than stock but i really dont want to kill my motor.

Back