Thinking of getting the Rabbit instead

Ninty1GTiVR6

:
'94 SHO 5spd; '03 MPV LX
OK, 1st of, I've always been a VW guy for as long as I've liked cars. Even when VW reliability was worst than it is now. They're not as reliable as the Asian counterpart(s) but they are as/if not more durable. So, I've got the 5 in my mind since I've 1st saw it almost 2 yrs ago. Now I see the MKV Rabbit(Golf) I want that instead. My wife's not big on VW because, that's all I do then is play/tinker with it, and she loves her Protoge, and now her MPV. BTW I got rid of my Passat for her to get the MPV. My last VW was sold in April '05, it was a '91 GTi w/VR6 swap from a Corrado. I loved it, but my wife hated it, it was set up for autox. So here's my dillema, I want the 5 (my sensible side), but my emotional side wants another Vdub. What to do, oh what to do? I keep telling her that I can get a base Rabbit w/factory 18's and nothing for under $17K. If we go for the 5 it will be more than that, prolly $2-3K more. Sorry for the rambling thread. (rant)

I have always found that when dealing with the wife
on issues like this is it always better to go with the
sensible side. If she hates it...............JMHO

Cheers
Robin

I agree with Durham in that the wife ALWAYS want's the more sensible route. In the past year I was strongly looking at the Impreza line. I first got my mind set on a 2.5i Wagon, which she loved because of AWD and Wagon utility... then I decided I might like the sedan styling better and she was like, "well you can't fit as much stuff in there." Fine. Then I started looking into the WRX line, and I emphasized I could still get a WRX in the same wagon body as the 2.5i and her response was "that's too much money" and "Why, are you going to speed and race in it?" D'oh! So yeah, bottom line is she'll look for practicality over anything else.

In consideration of the VW, you have the 'cheaper' card to play, use it heavily. Also emphasize that you'll still have the utility/room of the hatch. In the end it's your car, and her reasons for not wanting you to get it are weak. Yeah you won't get any, um, "lovin" for a while probably, but she'll get over it. You're a VeeDub'er at heart, I say get the Rabbit.

On a side note, IMO, VW's idea to rename the Golf back to the Rabbit was great. They took a bland hatch and brought back some nostalgia/heritage to it again. I'd be tempted to get one, but the 3 rows is what sells me on the 5.

Good luck, you'll need it! (But you should be fine ;) )

I know, thanks for the input you guys. We do have the MPV for 3 rows of seating though. I'll go the cheaper route to get her more excited, better mpg, and if we go the 5dr, it will still be around $18K. Plus, I think I'm not into modding the cars anyomre - I think. I think the new Rabbit is so much nicer than the MKIV Golf as far as looks go. We'll see I guess.

I came from a Jetta. Keep this in mind. VW is HELLA expensive to maintain. An oil change was $56 for my Jetta whereas it was $20 for the Mazda. I spent about $1000 replacing various flasher/relay blinker switches etc the year my warranty expired. Adjusting the headlights? Whoaa, computer aided, guided and precision positioned means very expensive.

Check Edmunds.com and compare True Cost To Own and you can also gauge how much to maintain a VW compared to the Mazda. Just cheaper to get the Mazda.

Kid Red said:
I came from a Jetta. Keep this in mind. VW is HELLA expensive to maintain. An oil change was $56 for my Jetta whereas it was $20 for the Mazda. I spent about $1000 replacing various flasher/relay blinker switches etc the year my warranty expired. Adjusting the headlights? Whoaa, computer aided, guided and precision positioned means very expensive.

Check Edmunds.com and compare True Cost To Own and you can also gauge how much to maintain a VW compared to the Mazda. Just cheaper to get the Mazda.

I've never been charged more than $23 for oil change in any of my VW, and the Passat I had I put Mobil1 due to the car being chipped. Adjusting the head light with computer aid, I have never known that the Jetta in the US that came with HID standard, so you don't need the computer aid, plus, if it's stock HID kit from Europe, they were self adjusting. That was your dealer charging you the crazy moeny. As far as replacing flashers/relay, you just need to get behind the stereo - not so easy if you're not use to wrenching tho. I've said it before, reliability not as good as the Asian counterparts but durability as good if not better. Thanks.

Ninty1GTiVR6

Do you need us to hold your hand on car choise or is your wife really running the show (poke) .

VW little 5 door made if I am not wrong : MEXICO??

I see a ton of trade ins' VWs lately and really VW has taken a nose dive since production is crap.

Car is cute if you like cute and efficient buy your VW enjoy....(ughdance) Life is short

I can confirm that VW's are expensive to maintain. If you think oil changes are going to be your only maintenance costs then you're in for a surprise. I work at a VW dealership and even though the MkV's have only been out for a couple of years, I sure see a lot of them in for service. As far as I can tell, the mechanical side of the new VW's is decent but the electronics/brain/sensor side freakin' blows something fierce. As with any make, electronic problems are expensive. The VW diagnostic computer gets passed around as much as a village hooker and our dealer charges $90 just to plug it in to see what's wrong. Granted that you would have a full warranty with the new Rabbit thus no charges but if you want to be driving some dealership loaner more than the car you pay for every month, then I would say buy the VW.

Our dealership is also a Mazda dealership and let me tell you something: we employ 12-13 technicians for both Mazda and Volkswagen and not one of them drives a VW. We even have a tech who prefers to work only on the Mazdas which means he makes less money than a swing tech...all so he doesn't have to mess around with VW's (they are that much of a b**** to work on).

(ughdance) (ughdance) (ughdance) LIKE I SAID LETS ALLLLLLLLLLL DANCE for the mazda 5 (ughdance) (ughdance) (ughdance)

If you were comparing the GTI to the 5, and given your chipping habit I can tell performance is an issue, then I would say get the GTI. But you are talking about the base rabbit. If you are willing to put your performance jones in the closet for a while, then there is no comparison, the 5 wins hands down. Also, please find a base rabbit anywhere. VW always puts at least one or two major options on just about everything that ever gets to the US. On place of assembly, I am pretty sure the Rabbit is still made in Germany, the Jetta is made in Mexico. I looked at the Passat wagon while shopping for my 5 but it ended up being a mute comparison, the Passat was at least five grand more comparably equiped and didn't offer the third row for the kids friends. You have to do what you have to do, but the 5 is very hard to beat when you come down to "practical" brass tacks.

Thanks, for all the input guys. As far as the wife calling the shots, every wife always want input on the 2nd biggest spending, so yeah, she has a lot of input in making the decision. Opus, not once in this thread I spoke of the GTI, just like the title of the thread, Rabbit. I also mentioned that we have an MPV so 3rd row seat won't be an issue. As far as the maintanance, I've been lucky I guess. I've had VW's since the '80s, hence the reference of having them while their reliability was better than it is now. Moonman, are you a tech @ the dealership? Because I have 4 close friends working @ the local VW dealers here in town - 1 South apx 20 miles, and one in town, they haven't yet seen any issues - yet. The MKIV are the ones with the issue. The Jetta came out last year and so far no issues on 2.5L 5 cyl. So, I'm not sure yet. My wife had said to follow the sensible side. I'll wait and see what the reliability rating will be I guess. Again, thanks for all the input.

Ditch the thought of a 'Rabbit' and look at the Honda Fit Sport...Better handling, way better gas mileage, comparable and more versatile quality interior, Japanese reliability.

JohnnyChan said:
Ditch the thought of a 'Rabbit' and look at the Honda Fit Sport...Better handling, way better gas mileage, comparable and more versatile quality interior, Japanese reliability.
mmm, yummy..... if I didn't need the room of a wagon, the Fit would be in my top 3 for sure. But then again, this topic's about Apples and Oranges, and the Fit is a Kiwi, so.... ;)

JohnnyChan said:

Don't like the look of the Fit. I'd get a Civic before the Fit, bigger, 2 mpg less, but still bigger car, better value. Plus here in the States, the Fit is only going to be 2 yrs before the new one comes out, not a good value, it will depreciate a lot more. Jandree, you're right, we're talking apples to oranges, and now someone throws in the kiwi:)

Ninty1GTiVR6 said:
I've never been charged more than $23 for oil change in any of my VW, and the Passat I had I put Mobil1 due to the car being chipped. Adjusting the head light with computer aid, I have never known that the Jetta in the US that came with HID standard, so you don't need the computer aid, plus, if it's stock HID kit from Europe, they were self adjusting. That was your dealer charging you the crazy moeny. As far as replacing flashers/relay, you just need to get behind the stereo - not so easy if you're not use to wrenching tho. I've said it before, reliability not as good as the Asian counterparts but durability as good if not better. Thanks.

I'm talking about dealer prices. Yes, my Jetta needed a headlight replacement (not just bulb) and they had to lift it, and match it with a computer laser sensor gadget and then runs tests on it until it was perfect. It was under warranty so I didn't have to pay, but the guy said it would have been a few hundred.

I've been to 3 VW dealers, they all have the $56 Oil Change poster in the service department price list so it's a wide spread conspiracy I guess. Synthetic Oil changes were more of course. The painted handles peeled. The painted center console chipped and peeled. The material on the door panels began to droop. The 8 replacement power window repalcements. The cloth on the seats is pure crap. This was a 2001 Jetta and this all happened within 3 years of ownership. The VWs are very impressive at first. Then, wear and tear begin to really grind on the materials (especially painted ones) and it's very expensive after the warranty expires.

Let's not forget adding an amplifier to your VW and needing to unplug the battery. Whooa, that resets the computer and you need to go to the dealer to have it reset. I had a battery die (2 year old Jetta) and replaced it. But had to go to the dealer to reset the Check Engine light. Money, money, money.

I'm very happy with my cheaper to maintain Mazda with cheaper to replace parts should they brake and their posted $19.95 oil changes.

Last edited:
Kid Red said:
I'm talking about dealer prices. Yes, my Jetta needed a headlight replacement (not just bulb) and they had to lift it, and match it with a computer laser sensor gadget and then runs tests on it until it was perfect. It was under warranty so I didn't have to pay, but the guy said it would have been a few hundred.

I've been to 3 VW dealers, they all have the $56 Oil Change poster in the service department price list so it's a wide spread conspiracy I guess. Synthetic Oil changes were more of course. The painted handles peeled. The painted center console chipped and peeled. The material on the door panels began to droop. The 8 replacement power window repalcements. The cloth on the seats is pure crap. This was a 2001 Jetta and this all happened within 3 years of ownership. The VWs are very impressive at first. Then, wear and tear begin to really grind on the materials (especially painted ones) and it's very expensive after the warranty expires.

Let's not forget adding an amplifier to your VW and needing to unplug the battery. Whooa, that resets the computer and you need to go to the dealer to have it reset. I had a battery die (2 year old Jetta) and replaced it. But had to go to the dealer to reset the Check Engine light. Money, money, money.

I'm very happy with my cheaper to maintain Mazda with cheaper to replace parts should they brake and their posted $19.95 oil changes.

That totally sux, anyways, the MKIV Jetta/Golf/GTI is horrible, especially before the 2002 model. I'm aware of that, so are the B5 platform Passat V6. I'm aware of those. The Mexico (Puebla plant) degraded so much from the MKIII to the MKIV. The Passat I'm not sure why -- all Passat were from Germany. Well, the posted price for the Mazda dealer is $25.99 at the dealership where I go to, same as the VW dealer on the other side of town. It all depends on where you live. I'm not saying I'm buying this Rabbit tomorrow, but I've always had good luck with all the VW product I've own, not including my parents Bugs (5 - aircooled), and 4 Microbusses. I'm still thinking about it either way. Thanks for your input.

Lord only knows why Vdub decided to start building their cars in Mexico. Did they think people wouldn't find out or quality wouldn't suffer? The thought of buying a Mexico VW gives me diarhea.... or is that the water.

Oh, and God Bless America, I love this country and everything, but isn't it convenient how Honda's quality has been slipping these past few years... meanwhile they've been producing less in Japan and more in, eh, Ohio? D'oh!

Here's to the Hiroshima-built 5! (cheers)

To the topic starter - I am kind of in similar situation like you - had VWs all my life, five to be exact. And recently got my wife a present, the Mazda 5, and she is in love with it, works great for the kid too, overall great success, we can't be happier. But I also have that VW 2.5 which you are after, it is my daily driver for now (hated the car, but have to drive it now, long story, let's do not go there). So, just wanted to warn you that there really is no comparison betwnee the two. Really two different cars in terms of experience, driving style, etc. It is understandable that they both could be on someone's list as they are priced closely, but an extended test drive should help you to make the right decision very easily as they are really so, so different.

And a small warning, you mentioned in one of your post about "better fuel economy" with the VW. Must say I am not impressed with the 2.5L 5 cyl's economy at all! A mater of fact is, our Mazda 5 gets better (average and over all) mileage than the VW and it is by about 3 MPG. I ma actually impressed by the better than advertised gas mileage on the Mazda 5 and quite unhappy with the poor mileage we get with the VW 2.5L And it is not because we drive differently, these are results I get when driving thwe two cars in an identical manner - I do not change my driving style much from the Mazda to the VW.

Ninty1GTiVR6 said:
OK, 1st of, I've always been a VW guy for as long as I've liked cars. Even when VW reliability was worst than it is now. They're not as reliable as the Asian counterpart(s) but they are as/if not more durable. So, I've got the 5 in my mind since I've 1st saw it almost 2 yrs ago. Now I see the MKV Rabbit(Golf) I want that instead. My wife's not big on VW because, that's all I do then is play/tinker with it, and she loves her Protoge, and now her MPV. BTW I got rid of my Passat for her to get the MPV. My last VW was sold in April '05, it was a '91 GTi w/VR6 swap from a Corrado. I loved it, but my wife hated it, it was set up for autox. So here's my dillema, I want the 5 (my sensible side), but my emotional side wants another Vdub. What to do, oh what to do? I keep telling her that I can get a base Rabbit w/factory 18's and nothing for under $17K. If we go for the 5 it will be more than that, prolly $2-3K more. Sorry for the rambling thread. (rant)

VW representing here too....I have a 2003 passat turbo, love it. I have Audi RS6 wheels, H&R suspension, deitrich RS6 front end, and tons more being done over the winter....i was debating the exact same 2 vehicles. my reasoning for taking the 5 over the rabbit was the fact that I have 2 small children. so, I needed something more family oriented. if you have no small kids, I would drop for the rabbit for sure. they are awsome rigs.....but, so is the 5. you need another vw...ha ha. for my baby thats arriving in nov. I have a jumper that says my other stroller is a vw...ha ha

Back