Thinking of getting a CX-5, how's the reliability?

Honda just sent out recall notifications for 2016 CRV's. ...something about transmission belt slippage. All cars are going to have their issues, some major others minor.

Only a year or two ago Honda was dealing with significant vibration problems in the CRV's engine. One fix was to raise idle speed, which impacted fuel mileage. Those threads generated hundreds of pages of complaints and eventually Honda even had to adjust the tailgate (a contributing factor) among other things.
No car or maker is perfect and it is unreasonable to assume it ever will be. The longest threads here are people posting pics of their ride and the longest complaint thread is for folks 1-2 mpg off EPA. Not bad!
Honda is having their problems too and I don't like the direction they're heading such as using the CVT and insisting the timing belt on V6. Toyota is still the Toyota, only makes good reliable vehicles, not much else. I chose our first Mazda is because of the innovation of SkyActiv Technology, not because of the reliability. But I do believe in order to survive in this tough car manufacture business, Mazda needs to do more than just innovations and good handling. More features and better reliability have to be made to attract average car buyers who know nothing but treating the car as an appliance.

We should be aware that there're far less CX-5 owners than those owning CR-V and RAV4. Of course we'd see far less number of complaints on the Internet towards CX-5. Here we have 16 pages of discussions on CX-5 transmission issues, and 13 pages of discussions on CX-5 weak windshield issues, in addition to MPG complaints.

BTW, 2015 Honda CR-V vibration issue happened only when the CR-V is stopped with engine idling while the CVT is still in "D" with brake applied. I personally don't think this's too big of an issue as long as it won't affect the transmission's longevity. And I had been experiencing the same vibration from many older vehicles in the same situation. Part of the reason there're so many complaints to CR-Vibration is because most car buyers havr very high expection towards Honda, they can't stand such a "minor" issues from them! See how many complaints would be if Honda's Earth Dreams engine has the fast idle and roar during initial start up like our SkyActiv-G engine? Nevertheless, CR-V still out-sold every SUVs in the US in 2015 with 345,647 units, and with YTD of 263,493 units to September this year the CR-V sales should surpass 2015's sales figure!

Yeah... it uses the old "pure mechanical" Borg Warner 4404 viscous coupling AWD unit. No electronics there.

Would not mind a borg warner diff (and turboh). I can get my cx5 sideways but then the mommy system jumps in.

I've owned 3 Mazdas in the past 10 years, all of which were reasonably reliable. My Speed6, purchased new, was the one at the dealer the most. My 2013 CX-5 and my 2015 3 have never been back to the dealer after purchase.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SWMBO has a 2015 CX-5 with 42k miles on it. No issues.

On the other hand SkyActiv is a lot of proven hotrod mechanical ideas and a bunch of new techno ideas all rolled into one synergistic piece of hardware. (I'm talking about the vehicle, I could care less about the infotainment etc. add-on fluff.) I'm at a point in my life I can risk a purely capitalist decision to support a small innovative collection of bad to the bone, hardcore engineers that love to drive and build cars for real people. If it blows up at 100k miles I'll likely not give them another chance. If I get 200k miles I'll definitely buy another. If it approaches 300k miles I'll buy my kids a new model when they give me grand children.

Yes Yes Yes. Agree. Big Grin

I came from a toyota / Scion family. my 2nd car is still a corolla - fully paid entering its flattest depreciation curve yet. We used to drive < 10K a year, from this year on we will do 37K in DFW. So the corolla will be the work horse.

Reason I did not go with Toyota is their scrapping of anything electric for Mirai BS. What I absolutely hate is their milking market with Prius's and not devoting enough to electric. if they are in bed with the big energy companies who will be supplying the 0 emission hydrogen fuel - atleast be open and pull out the Prius's as well.
They spent millions and sold the Rav4 EV for a loss. They could have continued what would have been a unique vehicle and rolled it out of California. But they just kept it as a compliance car.
My next car most likely seems to be from anyone but Toyota / Lexus.

Is you Ford Explorer AWD? :)

As far as CX-5 goes, here we saw someone with major SkyActiv-MT manual transmission problem at 53,000 miles. We saw several who had failed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission at only several thousand miles. We saw guys had SkyActiv-G 2.5L engine replaced due to unfixable oil leak. We saw a guy fought with Mazda North American Operations to get his whole new CX-5 replaced due to unsolvable airbag warning. I understand these could be just isolated cases, but we also have to remember that there're more CX-5 owners who don't post here even if they have major problems! And consider there're only ⅓ number of CX-5 owner's for each CX-5 MY than Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, and with only 4 model years, we know these major problems, not related to complicated high tech issues for modern vehicles, are also likely under-reported as there're far less CX-5 owners than those Honda's and Toyota's. When I was with VW Passat forum for many years, and Passat is not well-known for good reliability, I'd seen all kind of problems but none of them involved engine or transmission replacement during warranty period!

On the other hand, we saw many CX-5 owners having good experience so far. This makes me think that the reliability for Mazda is a hit and miss thing. Most people may get good quality CX-5 but a few others may not. This could be traced by the problems to be a small car manufacture like Mazda. They have less power to control suppliers who actually make parts for Mazda. So sometimes a bad batch of parts caused problems like some of the automatic transmissions installed in 2015.

This makes NO sense to me. Mazda is a small car manufacturer? They are not Toyota or Honda, but hardly SMALL. You mention a few anecdotal reports of problems and seem to conclude that those mean something? 1 - people are MUCH more likely to complain rather than compliment. 2 - EVERY manufacturer has happy and unhappy customers. Without having a much wider base of information, judging a company that makes hundreds of thousands of cars based on an extremely small online sample is useless. I'm not saying that Mazda is or is not better than others. But basing an opinion on this extremely limited information is meaningless to me.
You said "Most people may get good quality CX-5 but a few others may not." Show me a manufacturer where this is not true. Life is like that. NO company hits 100% of the time.

Then might I suggest the new Viper, Porsche GT3, or if you're on more of a budget, the Lotus Exige?

Sorry, no interest, no need for this class of vehicle.

That's why there's a CX-5 in the garage, an Escape and 2 pick ups in the line up....

Last edited:
This makes NO sense to me. Mazda is a small car manufacturer? They are not Toyota or Honda, but hardly SMALL.
Ha, this's the first time I saw someone here claimed Mazda is NOT a small car manufacture company! The top-seller CX-5 for Mazda sold only ⅓ of units than Honda CR-V、Toyota RAV4、Ford Escape、and Nissan Rogue yearly, and sold even less than Subaru Forester in the US. Yeah, Mazda may not be the smallest car company in Japan, but their sales volume is even less than Subaru worldwide, that's how small the Mazda is!

This makes NO sense to me. Mazda is a small car manufacturer? They are not Toyota or Honda, but hardly SMALL. You mention a few anecdotal reports of problems and seem to conclude that those mean something? 1 - people are MUCH more likely to complain rather than compliment. 2 - EVERY manufacturer has happy and unhappy customers. Without having a much wider base of information, judging a company that makes hundreds of thousands of cars based on an extremely small online sample is useless. I'm not saying that Mazda is or is not better than others. But basing an opinion on this extremely limited information is meaningless to me.
You said "Most people may get good quality CX-5 but a few others may not." Show me a manufacturer where this is not true. Life is like that. NO company hits 100% of the time.

This guys (yrw) a naysayer with Honda leanings. He often posts opinions that don't jibe.

Mazda is an exceptional car maker.
ALL of their products are recommended by Consumer Reports and the CR owners' surveys show exceptional reliability
The CX 3 totally kicks the Honda sub-compact's butt, BTW. Just the CVT alone makes that new Honda inferior, IMO.
Loved my CX 5 but moved on . . . .

This guys (yrw) a naysayer with Honda leanings. He often posts opinions that don't jibe.

ALL of their products are recommended by Consumer Reports and the CR owners' surveys show exceptional reliability
The CX 3 totally kicks the Honda sub-compact's butt, BTW. Just the CVT alone makes that new Honda inferior, IMO.

...to a Honda, it seems, lol!

The CX-5 is too new for us to have an honest, fact-based opinion of longevity. Do any with 300k miles on them yet even exist in ANY trim level or configuration? I somewhat doubt it.

This makes NO sense to me. Mazda is a small car manufacturer? They are not Toyota or Honda, but hardly SMALL.
Ha, this's the first time I saw someone here claimed Mazda is NOT a small car manufacture company! The top-seller CX-5 for Mazda sold only ⅓ of units than Honda CR-V、Toyota RAV4、Ford Escape、or Nissan Rogue yearly, and sold even less units than Subaru Forester in the US. Yeah, Mazda may not be the smallest car company in Japan, but their sales volume is less than Subaru worldwide, that's how small the Mazda is!

Then might I suggest the new Viper, Porsche GT3, or if you're on more of a budget, the Lotus Exige?

He said for real people. I'm at a point in my life I can risk a purely capitalist decision to support a small innovative collection of bad to the bone, hardcore engineers that love to drive and build cars for real people.

That describes the CX5

『The CX 3 totally kicks the Honda sub-compact's butt』?

YearMazda CX-3
U.S. Sales
2016 YTD14,006

YearHonda HR-V
U.S. Sales
2016 YTD58,270

Honda sub-compact CUV HR-V is not a good product according to most reviews and the sales haven't been good for Honda. But sales figures speak for themselves when you compare it to Mazda CX-3.

I only post the facts I know and honest opinions of mine. But your questionable statement is based on Consumer Reports? If you choose to bury your head in the sand that't fine with me. But it won't help the Mazda we all like to survive this very competative car market!

I know you like to use Consumer Reports to evaluate cars, but I only use its used car reliability data for reference. Consumer Reports have been put out unreliable recommendations and false reports, that's why I dropped my subscription long time ago.

...to a Honda, it seems, lol!

The CX-5 is too new for us to have an honest, fact-based opinion of longevity. Do any with 300k miles on them yet even exist in ANY trim level or configuration? I somewhat doubt it.
Exactly! But there're more hurdles for Mazda to overcome - the perception of bad quality and reliability from the past. Poor sales figures on their new 2nd-gen CX-9 is a perfect example!

Your questionable statement is based on Consumer Reports? If you choose to bury your head in the sand that't fine with me. But it won't help the Mazda we all like to survive this very competative car market!

I know you like to use Consumer Reports to evaluate cars, but I only use its used car reliability data for reference. Consumer Reports have been put out unreliable recommendations and false reports, that's why I dropped my subscription long time ago.

Spiraling down the rabbit hole again defending Consumer Reports to the odd few who have negative opinions about the publication.
CR does make mistakes with some of their recommendations, but you can mostly trust their road test/reviews.

Remember that CR purchases ALL their test vehicles and accepts NO advertising unlike other publications.
Just no good argument that the Consumers Union is somehow biased. That's just bunk!

Consumer Reports was instrumental in getting ABS systems on all vehicles.
They also advocated for electronic stability control although its not on every new car-truck-SUV yet; it becomes mandatory next year.
CR was also totally responsible for the introduction of rollover testing.
Currently they are advocating for forward collision and auto braking systems for every new car.
It's working as Toyota reportedly will offer a this on ALL new cars next year.

If you haven't discovered Consumer Reports, do not be deterred by some who wave off this excellent source of information, try to claim it's somehow biased, and then proudly proclaim they ditched their subscriptions or do not consult CR before a new (or used) vehicle purchase (or a washing machine, baby stroller, chainsaw, paint, etc.).

Back