Thinking of buying a P5 tomorrow

007hamster

:
Toyota Tacoma 2008
Hello everyone!

So my girlfriend drives a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and its seen its last leg. Such a clunker. I drive a miata and love Mazda (used to be a Mazda salesman last year when I was 19!)

Anywho, we are looking at this one tomorrow

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2989511042.html

Thoughts?

We don't wanna pay more than $5900 for it.

Only thing wrong with it that I can tell is its missing a pedal to the left of the brake (dunno)

looks nice, if he has service records see how long they have owned it and what they have done see how the car has been taken care of. On the surface it looks like a really nice clean car, but if your really serious take it to a mechanic and them look it over and run a car fax on it.

If your girl is really serious about it. This sounds silly but really have her drive it little windy roads, freeway for noises, find the blind spots when changing lanes, does it have enough pep to pass and speed up on the freeway for her. Then head to the parking lots at the mall or find a parking ramp. make her back in to a parking spots with it see if she can park it a few times with out complaining. and this is dangerous but see if she can drive the car, change lanes, answer her cell phone and change the radio station all at ones... Its the ergonomics does it fit.

I bought mine a few month ago and wish I would of been more patient. I love my car and feel like I can fix most things on it and it seem pretty user friendly. Just look for rust and oil leaks and up to date on the maintenance is what I hear. Good luck

Just to let you know, the 34 mpg they claim in the ad is not what you're going to get. Expect about 28-30 mpg on the highway, mid 20's city.

^^^What they said but even less for the auto, in my experience. :( Still love the car though!

Yea, I figured it won't get 34, but her jeep gets 15mpg so I'm sure the P5 will be a vast improvement.

Anything to inspect specifically on the P5? Struts go bad, crank failure (early NA miatas had this), etc.

Carfax shows t-belt and water pump replaced at 65k, its coming up on 120k so I assume its about do for another one?

Timing belts are "Suppose" to be changed every 80k, this is coming from a 30 year old vet that works on Mazda's (not me). It's a solid car and the only thing I would expect to happen is normal wear and tear. Some of the things that will pop up will be something you can fix if you just ask here on the board. As for the $6k price tag, that's a little too much. I have listed the NADA value of the car. Hell mine is worth $4,200 and that with a manual tranny.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002/Mazda/Protege-4-Cyl/Wagon-5D-5/Standard-Equipment

Unless he just put all new items on the car ( new engine, turbo, tires, brakes, suspension, etc.etc.) then I would say that's a fair price but I don't know about the car, only what you are telling us.

Also when you talk to him or her about the car, don't ask these questions out right, let them tell you what makes it a $6k car. Then verify it with proof.

All in all the car is kick to drive and you and her will love it. Great find

P5s must be going higher in our zip, the link you provided shows $5,550

I too am curious how he got the $6,300 OBO in the posting.

The car fax shows that it hit another vehicle back in 2010 when the original owner had it, but it must have been minor as it says "airbags did not deploy" and the title is not rebuilt.

I was originally thinking $5900 was the most we'd want to pay assuming she likes the way it drives, but maybe I should reconsider. Either way I think we are going to offer $5500

Ah, I think he got his price from here: NADA $6400

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2003/Mazda/Protege-4-Cyl/Wagon-5D-5/Standard-Equipment

KBB $5900

http://www.kbb.com/mazda/protege5/2003-mazda-protege5/hatchback-4d/?vehicleid=2717&intent=buy-used&mileage=119000&options=106920%7ctrue%7c107089%7ctrue&condition=very-good&pricetype=private-party

Hard to believe the roof adds 300 bucks on NADA :/

Last edited:
I could see that if the car wasn't in an accident. The retail value is depending on if the vehicle was never in a accident, never had any kind of problems, and was greatly taking care of. I could see $5,500 but $6,400. Nooooo way. If you have any kind of doubts or if you want to confirm if that's the best price. Ask a couple of car dealerships about the value. If you really want to know then take it to a Mazda dealership and ask them to take a look at it. If that guy stands behind his price he will agree to you doing that. If not, try to negotiate the price down to $5000 or look else where. defference

OAN: Just had a friend who works in a dealership call me about that car. He says " Without really physically looking at that car but only through pictures (if they are current)?, The private seller value of Fair Purchase Price (FPP) should be at $4,800 (That's in the database they have within 5 states). There is no such thing as zip code pricing or different state pricing, only FPP which is done across the nation. He or she probably was looking for the highest price and listed that instead of putting in the time to research the average price."

Lol, I worked at the local Mazda Dealership for a year, they promoted me to salesman before I quit, I sold 11 cars in 3 weeks, I have no problem negotiating, but I don't want to cap myself TOO low and miss out on a reliable car. I'm hoping we can get it for $5700. We are going to look at it when the seller gets home in 4 hours. His is the ONLY P5 listed locally as a private party. There are a few other P5s at dealerships but for the most part they are asking around 8000 to 9999 and not automatics (which the gf requires).

Yea, I'm pretty sure he added all the options to the kbb price, like "premium wheels" which Mazda 3 wheels are not, and "premium sound" which stock is not and I will be ripping out all the audio stuff ASAP.

Wallable, I am not sure where your friend was looking, but price is most definitely dependent on location. The bottom line price is based on what someone is willing to pay. In my area, dealerships ask for about 6k for a 2003 P5 in that condition and have seen as high as 9k. Private sellers often see these retail prices and ask for a comparable price. I would think up to 5500 would be reasonable assuming the condition is as good as pictures lead you to believe. I have bought 3 P5 is in the last 2 years in the Atlanta market in similar or better condition and never paid more than 5500.

THat is one sweet P5 definitely take it for a Test ride 1st and oh and find out if the Timing belt was changed and if it wasn't i would ask the Guy to take $1,000.00 off of the price becuase it will cost you any where from $800.00 to $1000.00 bucks to get that done. I just thought id save you some money and let you know. If it all checks out good with the Car Fax and everything then buy it if not then keep Shopping

And from what I understand the P5 is an "Interference" type engine, so t-belt replacement is especially important!

AFAIK it was last done at the dealership at 65k miles.

And from what I understand the P5 is an "Interference" type engine, so t-belt replacement is especially important!

Nope, the FS-DE is a non-interference engine. If the belt would break, you would just be stranded with a car that wouldn't run.

Good to know!

Anyways, we talked him down to $5500. It was in pristine condition except for a 3 inch deep scratch in the hood, and both fog lights cracked from rock chips. My girlfriend just didn't "feel it" when she drove it. She was flustered while driving because all the controls are different, it was raining heavily, and even got into foggy patch and didn't know any roads. We (she) is thinking about it overnight. I woulda bought it on the spot once he said 5500 but not my car.

Only thing is the front and rear tires are different brands. Both are brand name and both had 80% tread. I think goodyear in front and bridgestone in rear. So shouldn't be an issue.

Also when braking the gf thought she felt it "pulsing" or "choppy" just when slowing down, regardless of ABS. I myself didn't really feel it, or it was very slight.

Biggest issue I think we both had is that it is SLOOOW, it doesn't even want to go up a hill. I don't think anything was wrong but weight+130HP+automatic tranny= Slow is pretty much a given.

We didn't buy it, but still may because I think it will be hard to find a car for that price ($5500) that is better.

New tires and new set of rotors will get rid of any pulsing. Fogs are here in the FS section reasonably priced. Hood can be fixed. Have her drive it in manual mode. I know the passing gear in the auto in hilly areas can be annoying. Not sure what controls are so different to get flustered about but that will be part of getting used to any car other than the same one she had. Maybe go back when not raining and give it another spin and try to go lower, stating the concerns about the tires, brakes, hood & fogs. As was stated, 34mpg in a stock automatic is pretty much a fantasy, especially in hilly areas. Mine will pull 30-31mpg but I live in relatively flat area and have good number of mods to help it do that. Nothing under 8000 will feel new and fast without going to an auction and lucking out. Everything used will have issues. IMO, if it is as clean under the hood as the rest of it is in the pics and rust free then it would be worth the money even with the oopsie on the carfax. This car appears to be well taken care of and the stated issues are easily remedied but............her car, her money, her decision I suppose. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks bud!

After thinking about it overnight and looking on craigslist at other similarly priced cars (ex: 1993 Mercedes) for $5500, she has realized what I told her all along, for the $$ you can't get much better than a P5.

It seems to have really new tires so it could be the rotors making it "pulse" either way it was a very slight sensation and couldn't be felt all the time.

For controls, everything is different than her jeep, the wipers stick moves up and down instead of twist for the front, you twist the lights on instead of pull a knob out toward you, etc. But she knows she will get used to this.

I think I'm more excited than her, I love the car and am excited to throw a decent sound system in it!

I'll let ya know how it goes and maybe throw some more pics up later. I think we are meeting him at the bank in a few hours.

Thanks man, I'll take some close ups of the damage later tonight, not too major. I forgot to mention it has this funny 100 watt thing in the spare tire, I guess its a "subwoofer" lol, seems kinda useless but we didn't turn the radio up much.

I think your still a little high on the price I am thinking you need to be at or about $ 5k mark. If the rotors has a slight pulse to them expect to be doing a brake job in the next 90 days. they will get worse and for her safety do it early. But if your comfortable at $ 5500 happy trails and I hope she enjoys the new car. I like the color it looks like a good car from the pics... Congrats on the new ride.

Back