thinking of buying a mp3!!

Welcome and congrats..

I would not recommend turbo due to the higher millage on the engine. Staying NA will save you alot of problems with reliablity issues. MP3's (and proteges in general) seem to have quite reliable engines. There are a good amount of people that are over 150,000 miles and even some with 200,000. I am right around the same mileage as you and have had no major problems with the car. The only thing that needed to be replaced were the spark plugs and coils. If you ever get a check engine light with a misfire issue then it is very likely it is the coils going bad, many proteges over 100k seem to have this problem but luckily it is a pretty cheap peice. And in case something major breaks on the engine it is fairly cheap to source a used one and is not too difficult to install.

As far as performance there there are alot of things to choose from, but the best mod for the $$ are ones that increase driving feel and response. Unless you turbo the car you need to accept that this car is not made for drag racing. It is a drivers car, which means it is very responsive and crisp in how it handles. The thing I would recommend as a first mod would be a short shifter and bushings for the shifter assembly.

how much do the coils run?

Yea, you want to go ahead and get either Xenon expert or Techone (I have this one). They usually have group buys on the forum and really, no other regular light bulb will give you the satisfaction like HIDs

im gonna take some pics tonight of this but is there anyway to get the lenses off the headlight on mine theres alot of s*** inside of it like water maybe had gotten in once or something, just really looks crappy well im off to try and get my radio out, and see how much it is to tint one window since one window wasnt tinted, ill check back later, and i didnt realize that the conversion was so pricey, after seeing those 10$ bulbs, i was like hell yea now im looking at 400$ parts...lol

Here's the thread we were talking about to get your HID's.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677158

Now as far as crap being in your lenses and stuff, you will need to take the light off and open it up to clean the inside. Probably the silicon that holds it together had a leak. THere is a how-to for blacking out your headlights on here that will take you thru the process. You should definitely do the blacking out while you already have it apart. Here's the link for that.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114394

Back