Thinking of a paint job...

for sure you need to sand and prime it, if your going to do it do it right, its going to cost alot to do just to warn you, there is no point in going cheap and having a bad paint job your going to regret doing

My wife and I also vote Orange. We've got black and if it was affordable we'd steal that idea in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we've got other things to worry about spending money on. ;)

I would vote on doing the wrap.

That way you can always return to the factory paint, and it will save loads of money and time.

I do like the orange/black look.

here are my thoughts blue or orange doesn't matter to me but i am not the greatest on photoshop or paint but i like both ideas but with the hood this is what i would do here are the 2 pics of the hood difference the one on the left is yours and the one on the right is what i would do

Attachments

• FRONT_VIEW_BLU1.jpg
    FRONT_VIEW_BLU1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 173
  • FRONT_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    FRONT_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 169
I love the look of the VW farenheit, hense the orange choice. I'm still waivering on the decision. I ordered a new front bumper and I need to get my driver's side door repainted becauase of a goof that scuffed the paint really bad. I'm going to shell out $500ish already to paint the bumper and door. This paint job is quoted to be under $2K (with all the right steps) But if I can't sell my car in a few years because of paint durability, I may pass. The front end of these 5's do get hit pretty hard! My front bumper right now looks terrible!!

Thanks for all the feedback and proops on my PS skills. I had time to kill on a flight home.

Ummmmm....no. $2k is not enough money (even in US dollars) for a good paint job. Triple that, then you might have a good paint job. This is a new car. You will lose resale value by repainting it, especially if it's different from stock color.

If you don't mind throwing $2k out the window for a crappy paint job, and another $3k immediately off your resale just for doing it, and more off your resale as time goes by and your crappy paint job gets even crappier, then by all means go for it!

Ive done vinyl wraps before, and for a price comparison, you cant lose. the only downfall is that the vinyl will scuff alot easier, and depending on the film, may only have a 2-3 year lifespan.

The plus to this is that you can always strip the vinyl off on a warm day, and it will not mar the original finish.

Of course, to get specific colours in vinyl is tough, your restricted to a limited selection... then you have to get someone skilled enough to apply it. check out http://www.tctgp.com/products.html - i use thse guys for all my vinyl jobs.

If i had a choice... id do vinyl. no permanant damage. And, you can change the colour every year if you really wanted to.

I would do a pearlized orange with the black hood and trunk. Where did you get the skirt and rear bumper?

The orange gets my vote. And as far as cost, you're nowhere near a "good" paint job at $2K... I had my Miata repainted and even with me tearing it down and doing most of the prep work, it still cost $5200 in the stock color. I wanted some custom orange metallic, and the body guy quoted me "At least $8000, and if you pull the engine yourself". And that's on a small car with no roof, so a 5 would cost more than that for a custom color change. I had a cheap job done on my car ($1500, after getting quotes from 5 places) and it looked like some kids did it in a backyard, plus they got overspray on EVERYTHING. Seriously, do NOT get a cheap-o repaint done, you will regret it instantly!

Back