Thinking of a 5

mountjonas

:
2013 VRM MS3
Hey all. I used to own a protege5 (loved it). Now I'm in a wrx (love it more), but the wife and I, with our growing family, may be looking for something bigger to replace her altima. We've got a newborn and two small dogs and taking the 3 hr trip from LA to San Diego this last weekend was just about as much as we could handle. It was a little tight. That said, we were looking at minivans but the prices are way high, even used they're out of our range.

I keep reading that the 2.3 is barely enough to get the 5 going. I drive like a grandma so speed isn't an issue with me, but for those of you with kids and or dogs, how do you like your mazda5 so far? How's the power with a semi full load. I'd do a search, but with a crying baby wanting food every couple of hours, i don't have much time in between feedings to do much. Thanks in advance.

I have the Mazda5 for about 1 1/2 month now, and my wife said she's loving it more everyday (she went from a 4 dr accord). The height is perfect for an expecting mom-to-be, and the ride is very comfortable. The space is plenty, even more than my p5. We tinted the window even now we are still getting some ppl asking me what kind of car it is.

mountjonas, are you a member over on NASIOC.com? I was around those boards for a while when I was considering a Impreza 2.5i. Anyways, now I switched back to the Mazda5... you can not beat the versatility of it. My wife and I don't have any kids, yet, but we're working on it (naughty)

I will say the 2.5i most definately had more power and was 'funner' to drive. But that's not to say the Mazda5 is a dog. I test drove 3 Mazda5's, 2 autos and 1 5spd. The 5spd is the way to go if you have a choice, but even the auto's not that bad (auto-stick works well). It's agile and zippy. And man will you ever be impressed with how freekin smooth the 2.3 is! I was bouncing off the rev limiter before I even thought i was at 4k, ha.

Best piece of advice I have is go test drive one and play around with all the little features (seats, compartments, doors, etc). Clear and simple, if you're looking for a versatile car (that's still enjoyable to drive), the Mazda5 sells it self.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... if you're okay with buying one off the lot, you can obviously have it sitting on your driveway the same night. However, I just ordered a brand spankin new 5 from the factory on May 25th and the current waiting period is 3-4 months. I'm expecting mine no earlier than late August and it will be an 07MY.

Last edited:
I got mine off the lot, sport package, 6 disc, side airbag for 19,500 out the door cash. I wish I would've added the Navi but no big deal I can always get it aftermarketly

^^^ I was blown away at just how cheap aftermarket navi units are becoming... I could buy 5 aftermarket navi's for what Mazda's asking for one! I like the factory integrated look, but come on...

That being said, I myself opted for the factory SIRIUS and DVD, both of which could also had been bought from Circuit City for considerably less.(second)

yeah, i'm on nasioc. i don't post much over there as most people are just flat out rude. we're definitely going to test drive cars once the time comes. we've driven my mother in law's sienna and like that a lot, but the price is just too much for us.

mountjonas said:
yeah, i'm on nasioc. i don't post much over there as most people are just flat out rude.
Oh really? I didn't notice... (lol2)

n00b -->(wedge) <-- NASIOC

mountjonas said:
we're definitely going to test drive cars once the time comes. we've driven my mother in law's sienna and like that a lot, but the price is just too much for us.
I'm a big fan of the new Odyssey's, but yup, same problem here. Truth be told, if I had the cash I think I would get the Odyssey instead of the 5, but the 5 is definately the best thing out there considering my price range.

Last edited:
well mount, we were in the same situation and it worked out great. Our once newborn is now almost 1, we have an incredibly dumb lab mix and incredibly fat beagle mix. You can either give them the rear row, or fold it down, put a blanket over it and have room for them to lie down, works out great. The thing about newborns is the huge ass stroller, if you have the kind that has shocks and puches and all that mess like we do, it barely fits in the 3, so the 5 is much better suited, we can fold the back seats down, put the stroller in and still have plenty of room for groceries. It really has no competition for a family that still has a pulse. I cant stress how great the 5 (and this new market) is.

fam said:
well mount, we were in the same situation and it worked out great. Our once newborn is now almost 1, we have an incredibly dumb lab mix and incredibly fat beagle mix. You can either give them the rear row, or fold it down, put a blanket over it and have room for them to lie down, works out great. The thing about newborns is the huge ass stroller, if you have the kind that has shocks and puches and all that mess like we do, it barely fits in the 3, so the 5 is much better suited, we can fold the back seats down, put the stroller in and still have plenty of room for groceries. It really has no competition for a family that still has a pulse. I cant stress how great the 5 (and this new market) is.

that's good to know. both our dogs are small (daschunds) but our stroller is freaking huge. it fits in the back of the wrx, but that's it. barely any room left for our overnight bags and other stuff. i figured that if we did end up with a 5, the back seats would be down most of the time anyway to make room for the baby/dog stuff.

Hey there, and welcome.

We are a family of four My wife and I + a 15 year old and a 2.5 year old) We went from a Matrix (too small) to a Sienna (too big) and now a Mazda 5 (Just right)

We found that when we had the Sienna, in as much as all that space was great, it got too cumbersome to drive around town, and that we rarely ever filled the Van up to its 7 passenger capacity.

Since getting the Mazda 5, I am finding it so much easier to putz around town, and actually have fun driving around downtown Vancouver and Richmond.

As for the 2.3's power, I was concerned too, since I went from a high-zoot Matrix XRS to a pretty powerful 3.3 V6 engine on the Sienna. My concerns are unfounded though, as I find the power on the Mazda 2.3 adequate for hauling the whole family and a decent amount of 'stuff' in the back with rear seats folded.

No regrets on our end.

so...go buy one, and if you dont like it, youre retarded.

Hey, I have a WRX wagon and a Mazda5. Both are niche cars and I like them both. Driving the 5 will obviously be very different from the WRX. I have an automatic 5 and it becomes a dog on the highway if you load it up. I've loading my 5 up with 5 adults and a baby. The Mazda transmission is very willing to kick down a gear when you hit the gas pedal to pass on the highway. However, it still takes a while for you to feel the acceleration. For around town driving, the 5 is great. The engine is tuned for torque so you'll have no problem negotiating local traffic.

Well if it helps. i have enough faith in mazda that i financed for 6 years to lower the payment. We have had it a year and its got a whopping 6k miles. We will be alright.

this looks like it may be happening sooner than i thought. we're going to test drive one tomorrow and see how it goes. the biggest thing will be how much space there is with the third row down. if it were just the wife, our kid and I, we totally fit in her altima for road trips, but our two dogs just made it unbearable.

who knows, maybe I'll be back in the mazda family again.

sweet, good luck and hopefully it fits your needs as you're expecting. Just remember so you're not surprised, you're going from a boosted 2.5L @ 3000lbs to a N/A 2.3L @ 3400lbs ;)

Hey mountjonas, for long trips, you may find your wife in the back with your kid in the reclining seat and one of the dogs up front with you or in the back area!

jandree22 said:
sweet, good luck and hopefully it fits your needs as you're expecting. Just remember so you're not surprised, you're going from a boosted 2.5L @ 3000lbs to a N/A 2.3L @ 3400lbs ;)

i wish i had the 2.5. i've got an 05 with the ej205.

mountjonas said:
i wish i had the 2.5. i've got an 05 with the ej205.
Right... my research was mostly with the 06's that all have the 2.5 now... my bad.

Have fun today and Happy Father's Day!

back in another mazda

jandree22 said:
Right... my research was mostly with the 06's that all have the 2.5 now... my bad.

Have fun today and Happy Father's Day!

thanks! we ended up buying a touring minus nav today in carbon gray. it's already been on the first road trip, san diego back to l.a. both dog crates fit in the back with the stroller on top plus a few bags. my wife ended up driving home with the baby behind her and me next to the baby. and the front seat just had my backpack. we love this thing already.

Back