the parchment leather looks amazing

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
I'm looking to buy a 2016 CX5. I had my heart set on getting a sonic silver and of course black interior is the only choice on that. I might get cloth on Touring or leather on GT, still undecided. Yesterday I was at an auto show and looked at the CX5s and CX3s they had there. Wow...the look of the parchment leather blew me away. The two tone look of the white/black contast so well and make the interior look super classy. I still find the solid black interior to be not so bad though especially since the interior roof is white and the moonroof also brightens up the interior. Anyway now I'm second guessing myself and looking at the colors that have the parchment leather....white,black,blue,red,titanium. Unfortunately I don't really like any of those exteriors and still want the sonic silver. Leather vs cloth maintenance and longevity are a big priority in my decision as I usually keep my vehicles a very long time. I dont have kids or pets. My question is to those of you who have a parchment interior on your CX5...does it stain or get dirty easily? Is it hard to maintain. Do you think a black interior would hold up better in say 15 years down the road? Does both the black cloth and black leather get too hot for you in the summer?
Also I sat in a CX3 yesterday. Wow its kind of cramped sitting in the front and even worse in the back. At least I can rule out the CX3 off my list now. CX5 is the choice for me...just have to decide on the color combo choice.

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a 2016 CX5. I had my heart set on getting a sonic silver and of course black interior is the only choice on that. I might get cloth on Touring or leather on GT, still undecided. Yesterday I was at an auto show and looked at the CX5s and CX3s they had there. Wow...the look of the parchment leather blew me away. The two tone look of the white/black contast so well and make the interior look super classy. I still find the solid black interior to be not so bad though especially since the interior roof is white and the moonroof also brightens up the interior. Anyway now I'm second guessing myself and looking at the colors that have the parchment leather....white,black,blue,red,titanium. Unfortunately I don't really like any of those exteriors and still want the sonic silver. Leather vs cloth maintenance and longevity are a big priority in my decision as I usually keep my vehicles a very long time. I dont have kids or pets. My question is to those of you who have a parchment interior on your CX5...does it stain or get dirty easily? Is it hard to maintain. Do you think a black interior would hold up better in say 15 years down the road? Does both the black cloth and black leather get too hot for you in the summer?
Also I sat in a CX3 yesterday. Wow its kind of cramped sitting in the front and even worse in the back. At least I can rule out the CX3 off my list now. CX5 is the choice for me...just have to decide on the color combo choice.

I asked the same questions here on the mazda6 forum, about living with the Parchment color when it was introduced for the Mazda6. I did not get any negative reviews of it. (flash)

I got the sonic silver GT with black interior. The white exterior was my preferred color but I wanted a black interior. The only white vehicle they had on the lot had the parchment interior. The parchment is almost white in color. I noticed that it was already showing marks from someone who drove it. I had a different car that had a tan leather interior and it actually got marks on the back of the seat from my black leather belt that would not come out. In my opinion parchment would have been too hard to take care of so I chose my second favorite color (sonic silver) because it had the black interior and the dealer was more willing to make a better deal with a car they already had on the lot. I think the black will stand up over time longer than the parchment.

Salesman at a dealer I went to said that there were lots of reports coming back saying that the parchment interior gets dirty way too fast and that I should avoid it. I think he was just saying that because they wanted the sale and didnt have any with parchment interior in stock.

Ive had mine with leather parchment for 2 months roughly and havent had any problems with it getting dirty. Ive taken it to the beach multiple times, carried passengers, no problems. I think the black cloth though wouldnt be too bad either if you want an extremely low maintenance interior.

I'm looking to buy a 2016 CX5. I had my heart set on getting a sonic silver and of course black interior is the only choice on that. I might get cloth on Touring or leather on GT, still undecided.
We special ordered our 2016 CX-5 so we could get color combination of our choice. We've been always getting silver with gray interior. Unfortunately Mazda has very limited interior colors. Being in Texas we really don't want black interior. In the end we settled for Sonic Silver although it's still pretty grayish comparing to all other silver color we have had. We thought about new parchment leather but after reading people's comments all over the Internet, we decided not to get it although it looks much better than all black interior. I saw too many people who were complaining parchment leather, mainly it's very easy to get dirty and you have to spend time to maintain. One of the reason getting the silver exterior is that it's good to hide the dirt. We'd rather take a color we don't like the most but easier to maintain. And the lack of choices for interior color from Sonic Silver also helped us not to get parchment leather.

BTW, I really recommend you to consider getting Tech Package for LED lightings with AFS. You won't regret it for the extra money you have to pay.

I have the parchment and it looks better and brightens up the interior a lot better than the all black. Plus if you live in a sunny climate the white leather makes summertime so much easier to deal with than the black heat sink.

Mazda's "flagship" colors for it's lineup is Soul Red exterior with the parchment interior. Look at all the car commercials for the CX5 and they are always Soul Red with the parchment interior. Mazda knows it looks the best and uses those flagship colors to sell its lineup.

Just use a good vinyl/leather conditioner and wipe it down every so often and you won't have any problems.

One of the reason getting the silver exterior is that it's good to hide the dirt. We'd rather take a color we don't like the most but easier to maintain. And the lack of choices for interior color from Sonic Silver also helped us not to get parchment leather.

For a second there I thought you meant you were able to special order it in sonic silver with parchment leather. Wish that was possible! BTW how long did it take for you to receive your special order? I'm in the same boat as you. I primarily like the sonic silver just because from past experience I love how silver hides dirt, scratches, dings, etc. My tribute has some hail damage and from most angles your eye cant even see it on the silver. If it was a dark color it would show it all. With silver you don't have to wash your car as often as well. I keep my cars approx. 15 years and silver ages the most gracefully over time. I find that other primary colors come in and out of fashion too much. I think I'm really leaning toward getting the silver now and just accepting the all black interior. I'll opt for the moonroof to lighten up the black cave.

One of the reason getting the silver exterior is that it's good to hide the dirt. We'd rather take a color we don't like the most but easier to maintain. And the lack of choices for interior color from Sonic Silver also helped us not to get parchment leather.
For a second there I thought you meant you were able to special order it in sonic silver with parchment leather. Wish that was possible! BTW how long did it take for you to receive your special order? I'm in the same boat as you. I primarily like the sonic silver just because from past experience I love how silver hides dirt, scratches, dings, etc. My tribute has some hail damage and from most angles your eye cant even see it on the silver. If it was a dark color it would show it all. With silver you don't have to wash your car as often as well. I keep my cars approx. 15 years and silver ages the most gracefully over time. I find that other primary colors come in and out of fashion too much. I think I'm really leaning toward getting the silver now and just accepting the all black interior. I'll opt for the moonroof to lighten up the black cave.
When you special order a CX-5 through a dealer, make sure to ask your dealer to check their system for the inventory at the port of entry in LA, and every CX-5 which is still on the water, from Mazda North American Operations. As CX-5 doesn't offer too many variety of options and chances are you'll be able to find an exact one you want. In our case it took only 23 days to get delivered to our dealer from a ship on the Pacific Ocean.

Your situation is exactly like ours and we had to settle for Sonic Silver with black leather. Although we're kind of getting used to all-black interior but we still wish Mazda can offer more interior selections like everybody else such as gray. Again, make sure to look into LED lighting with AFS!

In the Grand Touring trim it's very easy to get the exact color combo that you want. It took the dealer 12 hours to get the color I wanted.

I love mine.

I wipe it down every month with Lexoil Leather Cleaner Wipes.

So - the color in jeans doesn't "eventually" stain these beauties for life.

Preventative maintenance boys - it'll do the trick.

In the Grand Touring trim it's very easy to get the exact color combo that you want. It took the dealer 12 hours to get the color I wanted.
The difference for us is our CX-5 was shipped directly from port of entry and had 3 miles on the odometer. For sure there was nobody had been test driven it. Besides, there was no AWD available near our area at time and we didn't want a "new" AWD CX-5 driven for hundreds of miles on the highway from another state.

I love mine.
I wipe it down every month with Lexoil Leather Cleaner Wipes.
So - the color in jeans doesn't "eventually" stain these beauties for life.
Preventative maintenance boys - it'll do the trick.
I'm lazy and I don't even want spending time for periodical preventative maintenance for parchment leather seats. Besides, other cars/CUVs at similar price range will have matching color on seat belts, door panels, carpets, and front dash panel for non-black leather seats. A parchment leather seats with still all-black color for everything else on CX-5 feels too cheap from Mazda for me.

Parchment Leather with Sonic Silver Exterior is available as a combination in some countries. We chose parchment interior with Sonic Silver because the near white colour looks really classy. Be warn though, what you heard about soiling easily is true. I have to wipe it down with Mother Leather cleaner every month or two. It is not too onerous but it is a chore none the less.

We came from a 3rd Gen CRV with black leather and decided that the white leather looks a lot better/classier. Go for it if you don't mind the the cleaning regime and you don't have small children.

I treated our Pearl White/Parchment with Leather Master Leather Barrier primarily to protect the seats from dye (like new denim). I also have an MX-5 with beige seats treated the same. 3 years with no issues.

Parchment Leather with Sonic Silver Exterior is available as a combination in some countries. We chose parchment interior with Sonic Silver because the near white colour looks really classy. Be warn though, what you heard about soiling easily is true. I have to wipe it down with Mother Leather cleaner every month or two. It is not too onerous but it is a chore none the less.
So another thing which is not available in the US! Had parchment leather been available for Sonic Silver in the US, we'd get it as we're really getting tired of looking at this all black interior. The hot summer in Texas doesn't help it either!

Kindof glad to have cloth. My Jeep had the same color leather. It had microsuede inserts. That's really the only leather worth a darn in my opinion, honestly. The rest, you slide around on.

Kindof glad to have cloth. My Jeep had the same color leather. It had microsuede inserts. That's really the only leather worth a darn in my opinion, honestly. The rest, you slide around on.

Yes. I think the new CX-3 interior is a good blend of microsuede and leather in the all the right places.

2016-mazda-cx-3-45_1600x0w.jpg

At first, I was a bit apprehensive about getting a "white leather" interior mated to a Deep Crystal Blue exterior (even though I did like the appearance of it), but just had to have the DCB, and the black leather was not available with it to the best of my knowledge. Now the parchment has grown on me, and I'm glad I went with it, doesn't seem difficult at all to maintain. Of course it helps just being myself and my wife, a couple of old farts who use it, no kiddies around to mess it up!

Back