The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

The guy was pretty awesome, Has a first gen rx-7 race car for sale. Caged and everything with close to a 1 car garage full of extra parts for only $4k if anyone is looking. He's raced it the last 9 years and has 34 class victories so it's pretty sorted out. He just bought a '85 VW GTI to race in a different class. Also has a '79 all original split tail rx-7 with only 50k miles, a caged neon race car, and an olf formula for lola chassis with a 13b in it that he used to auto-x competitively but now just for fun.

Any pics? I think my next build will be a purpose-built racecar. Use the RX7 to progress through HPDE and get my competition license and race another car. Been thinking about looking for a Gen. 2 MS3 and completely stripping it down, full cage and safety equipment, suspension, etc. but leave the engine stock except for reliability mods.

Any pics? I think my next build will be a purpose-built racecar. Use the RX7 to progress through HPDE and get my competition license and race another car. Been thinking about looking for a Gen. 2 MS3 and completely stripping it down, full cage and safety equipment, suspension, etc. but leave the engine stock except for reliability mods.

I didn't take any, can take some tonight when I get the wheels. If I had $4k, space and wanted to be single I would pick the rx-7.

whats up? how was everyone's weekends?

i got alot of things done on the car and hopefully i can finish a few things and i can drive it this week!

You are better off buying the open remaining I-Moto car for $27,000 as opposed to building one, Jon, lots cheaper. Or better yet, getting a Spec Miata and going that route.

Last edited:

i got alot of things done on the car and hopefully i can finish a few things and i can drive it this week!

Instructing @ Mid-Ohio with Marc and Will with NASA @ Mid-Ohio, it was greats eeing old friends and competitors, not to mention some great racing!!!

My whole body is sore from yard work. Made progress along one fence line clearing crap out that the previous owners just let go. Have 11 yard waste bags but at the same time it doesn't look like much got done. Went to cars & coffee with Kennedy because she insisted, she did ok but was very shy. Saw 2 new Vipers and one 1st gen, she was excited about those but sad she didn't have her Viper hot wheels. Other than that she wasn't too impressed. Swear I saw Will in his spec Miata pulling in as I was leaving.

Never got to the brakes :( maybe tonight or tomorrow after work.

You are better off buying the open remaining I-Moto car for $27,000 as opposed to building one, Jon, lots cheaper. Or better yet, getting a Spec Miata and going that route.

But where's the fun in buying something that's already done? Did iMoto get into the engine at all? $27k seems high for suspension/safety work. Honestly, SM scares the hell out of me.

Sorry to inform everyone but there will not be a Natefest this year. With a baby and a toddler I haven't really had much time to dedicate to it and haven't found a place to host in the time I have had. Add to that starting classes again (basically full time going forward instead of 1 at a time) to finish my degree there's not really any time or brain power left for planning a meet. Also, I'm not going to ride in Pelotonia this year, half the reason why I started this. They already have 3,566 riders and have raised $1,325,404 (as pf 11:29 a.m.) so they won't miss me much.

Although if you do feel charitable this is a great organization and great cause to donate to. 100% of your donation goes directly to funding cancer research and is tax deductible. Just follow the link in my sig.

Last edited:
But where's the fun in buying something that's already done? Did iMoto get into the engine at all? $27k seems high for suspension/safety work. Honestly, SM scares the hell out of me.

the fun is actually getting to go enjoy it on track instead of building it for 5-6 years....

Worked on the Probe in preparation for the Trackcross that ended up being canceled. Brake work, oil change, added a little synchromesh fluid to the transmission, replaced the VRIS solenoids, removed rear interior. Tried to fix the AC and found out its leaking from the high side valve.

the fun is actually getting to go enjoy it on track instead of building it for 5-6 years....

I'm okay with that if it saves me thousands of dollars because it's my labor and I'm not paying someone else for their's.

I found a posting of the iMoto car and it defnitely has more done to it than I would ever attempt.

I'm okay with that if it saves me thousands of dollars because it's my labor and I'm not paying someone else for their's.

I found a posting of the iMoto car and it defnitely has more done to it than I would ever attempt.

im not, owning the miata and not getting it to drive it the last year has changed my mindset. My labor might be free but my time is becoming more and more valuable and im ok with spending the money to mean i can enjoy the time behind the wheel

Just found out we scheduled my son's birthday party on the same day as the season opener for the NWOR SCCA. DAMNIT!

Oh, down to $27k now. Getting closer. I'd still be weary of buying someone else's modded/race/project car. Not that the work isn't well sorted in this case but there'd still be considerable "figuring s**t out" time. Still more than I'd ever want to do to make a TTx/PTx car. The Motec display, fuel cell, and logging stuff is more than I'd need for what I'd consider ever doing. I just think it'd be fun to race something with a stock-ish motor - doesn't have to be a MS3:

Strip car -> Add safety equipment -> Modify suspension -> Race

Yep, pretty much defined SM there. But seriously, those guys scare the crap out of me. Plus I find spec racing kind of boring.

In other news the rear brakes on the wife's Jetta are gone. Looks like I get to figure out how to replace the rotors and pads on a VW this weekend. Centric blanks and Hawk Ceramic pads. May even paint the calipers while I'm in there to prevent further corrosion. She won't know it but I plan on slowing "improving" her car over time since the warranty is long gone. Can't wait for the shocks to go bad.

Oh, down to $27k now. Getting closer. I'd still be weary of buying someone else's modded/race/project car. Not that the work isn't well sorted in this case but there'd still be considerable "figuring s**t out" time. Still more than I'd ever want to do to make a TTx/PTx car. The Motec display, fuel cell, and logging stuff is more than I'd need for what I'd consider ever doing. I just think it'd be fun to race something with a stock-ish motor - doesn't have to be a MS3:

Strip car -> Add safety equipment -> Modify suspension -> Race

Yep, pretty much defined SM there. But seriously, those guys scare the crap out of me. Plus I find spec racing kind of boring.

In other news the rear brakes on the wife's Jetta are gone. Looks like I get to figure out how to replace the rotors and pads on a VW this weekend. Centric blanks and Hawk Ceramic pads. May even paint the calipers while I'm in there to prevent further corrosion. She won't know it but I plan on slowing "improving" her car over time since the warranty is long gone. Can't wait for the shocks to go bad.

buying from some guy on a random craigslist add I'd be weary, buying a fully inspected and sanctioned race care from a winning team wouldn't give me any worries. In fact it makes that part of the purchase easy, it's the parting of money from the bank account that would have me thinking twice.

I took the Spec Miata out this past weekend. Had no issues other than putting a couple flat spots on the front tires on the first day. :D

Best lap from Friday:

I had passengers all day Saturday and Sunday morning, but in the first afternoon session I did 4 laps in a row better than my Friday time, here are the two best ones:

Your lines look good, quick lap times, yada yada. But that radio delete plate is AWESOME!

The radio and air bag deletes are screaming, "I need stickers."

I think a "Because Race Car" is appropriate right? ;)

Back