The Definitive MSP Exhaust FAQ

nice to see someone's still bumping this thread occassionally :). haven't had much time check out the forums much :(

can someone who has plenty of knowledge about the exhaust options for the msp add more up to date info, for things such as exhaust cut-outs

i cant seem to get a straight answer of what it would be like if i was to put an exhaust cutout after a catted mid-pipe. Would it be the same thing as a j-pipe back exhaust that you could turn on and off at the flip of a switch if you have the electric cutout. if so that seems like it would be alot cheaper than buying a full exhaust system and still have use of it when u want and when you dont. I know that it defeats the whole purpose of a cut-out but i would like to keep my car in state regs for emissions

503MSP said:
i cant seem to get a straight answer of what it would be like if i was to put an exhaust cutout after a catted mid-pipe. Would it be the same thing as a j-pipe back exhaust that you could turn on and off at the flip of a switch if you have the electric cutout. if so that seems like it would be alot cheaper than buying a full exhaust system and still have use of it when u want and when you dont. I know that it defeats the whole purpose of a cut-out but i would like to keep my car in state regs for emissions

So what are you trying to do?

Have a dump pump before the cat so you could open it up when racing?

Last edited:
i was thinking more of after the cat, so that when i go into get my car inspected for deq i wont have a problem passing. and i really dont like the idea of getting rid of the cats completely even if it is for the racing occasionally.

The purpose of a cutout is to eliminate ALL RESTRICTIONS in the exhaust. Putting it after a cat can be done, but will not yield the BEST gains as there will still be a restricting device (cat) before the cutout. Also haveing a cutout will not affect emissions until it is diverting flow away from the cat. As long as it's closed, you'll test like stock.....

It wouldn't make any sense to do after the cat.

In all honesty, the amount of time to put that together and what it would cost would probably not be worth it at all.

With as lenient the laws are in Portland, if you were to remove both cants and replace them with one and had a nice free flowing exhaust system you would be able to pass and have a decent power upgrade.

Yes,

I've learned a bunch as well.

Also read many of the same points other places, so I believe this to be a great thread for new people like myself to learn the ins and outs of the MSP specific and general turbo exhaust, which is a good bit different from N/A.

im confused after all that readin.haha.im about to add a exhaust with a midpipe and muffler.hks to be exact. i want to get better power so do i just find a hi flow cat and attach it to the midpipe and that will be it? or do i take off the first cat and 2nd and attach the hi flow cat. i guess im worried that if i remove it this will change the length and could cause a problem.

h8rsnv said:
im confused after all that readin.haha.im about to add a exhaust with a midpipe and muffler.hks to be exact. i want to get better power so do i just find a hi flow cat and attach it to the midpipe and that will be it? or do i take off the first cat and 2nd and attach the hi flow cat. i guess im worried that if i remove it this will change the length and could cause a problem.

basically buy a mid-pipe with a high flow cat already installed. This link is just 1 option that will be an exact replacement. link

thanks so much for creating this. I am just about to get into the motions of ordering the rest of the s*** I need for my turbo-back and you helped me make up my mind and save me some money. I really appreciate your effort and time here.

Back