The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Looking at his signature, it's a 2015 model 😉
Oh haha. I cant see it when using an app for the forums. I really want to know if someone have replace the old model headlight and taillight with the new one.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Looking to get some switchback LED for the headlights (day and turn signal) for my 2016 GT, any suggestions that wont cause hyperflash and that blend well with the oem lighting already ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looking to get some switchback LED for the headlights (day and turn signal) for my 2016 GT, any suggestions that wont cause hyperflash and that blend well with the oem lighting already ? Thanks!

From what I vaguely remember from other threads the problem with many LED turn signal bulbs is the lack of a built-in resistor which prevents the hyperflashing. But maybe you already know this. The posts that I have read suggest adding a resistor. Some LED bulbs come with a separate resistor to be wired in.

If you have a non-Tech GT model like me, I have researched extensively on an LED replacement for my oem DRL/high-beam bulb. Most have said that there is NOT a LED that provides the correct beam pattern for this location. The Sylvania oem halogen bulbs are designed to work with the reflector on the DRL/highbeam assembly to produce the appropriate specific beam pattern. While most LED's(if not all at the moment) will give a brighter whiter light, the beam pattern is not acceptable to most. One popular LED supplier that I contacted said that the bulb they recommend for my DRL/highbeam location will not dim down for the DRL function(as the oem's do), but stay as bright as the high beam for both functions. This was not acceptable to me, in addition to the poor beam pattern. SO, I am still waiting to hear of a suitable LED replacement with an acceptable beam pattern and dimmable in DRL mode.

Last edited:
Anyone has an idea on what would fit without creating hyperflash ?
There is no solution for LED turn-signals so far unless you're willing to add serial resistors. No one seems to be able to find the flasher relay either.

My mod on turn signals is a minor one for front only with incandescent Philips 7444NA bulbs. I cut off the contact wire of the dual filament bulb for amber parking/side-marker light. This will make the front turn signal more distinct in the night in the on-off-on-off pattern, and looks the same as any other non-US version CX-5's

There is no solution for LED turn-signals so far unless you're willing to add serial resistors. No one seems to be able to find the flasher relay either.

My mod on turn signals is a minor one for front only with incandescent Philips 7444NA bulbs. I cut off the contact wire of the dual filament bulb for amber parking/side-marker light. This will make the front turn signal more distinct in the night in the on-off-on-off pattern, and looks the same as any other non-US version CX-5's

Thanks, it's a shame to have led lighting on the '16 GT with an ugly amber bulb sticking out.

Thanks, it's a shame to have led lighting on the '16 GT with an ugly amber bulb sticking out.
I agree. It's all cost issue. I believe the flashing function is build-in with one of the computer modules hence it's too expensive to change the hardware. Adding serial resisters is something the car manufactures wouldn't do.

With my mod, at least I no longer have ugly amber parking lights in the night. The white LED DRLs serve the parking/side-marker well and they look Euro too!

I agree. It's all cost issue. I believe the flashing function is build-in with one of the computer modules hence it's too expensive to change the hardware. Adding serial resisters is something the car manufactures wouldn't do.

With my mod, at least I no longer have ugly amber parking lights in the night. The white LED DRLs serve the parking/side-marker well and they look Euro too!

Mind showing pics ?

Mind showing pics ?
These are Taiwan/Euro version LED headlights without front amber parking lights/side-markers and reflectors:
Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_04%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_03%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_02%2B-%2BFront%2BLed%2BLights.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_01%2B-%2BFront.jpg

These are my LED headlights without front amber parking lights/side-markers:
2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_04.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_03.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_02.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_01.jpg

what is the problem with switchbacks on the 2016 with tec ? other than hyper flash that doesn't bother me . i dont see and codes or warnings .

Looks much cleaner!
They do look cleaner but that is not the reason I did this mod. I like front amber turn signal which looks more distinctive in the dark with bright-off-bright-off pattern when front amber parking light is disabled, instead of bright-dim-bright-dim pattern when parking light is on. In fact, this is mandatory in Europe as you can't have front parking lights and turn signals at the same location for safety reason. The same for DRLs as you'll notice European cars will turn off DRL on the same side when the turn signal is on. These're all safety regulations in EU.

They do look cleaner but that is not the reason I did this mod. I like front amber turn signal which looks more distinctive in the dark with bright-off-bright-off pattern when front amber parking light is disabled, instead of bright-dim-bright-dim pattern when parking light is on. In fact, this is mandatory in Europe as you can't have front parking lights and turn signals at the same location for safety reason. The same for DRLs as you'll notice European cars will turn off DRL on the same side when the turn signal is on. These're all safety regulations in EU.

Links or page number to mod please :)

Awesome how to, thanks!
I looked and cant order any 7444NA bulbs here :(
Will have to wait til i go to the states this summer i guess...sucks! -_-'

Awesome how to, thanks!
I looked and cant order any 7444NA bulbs here :(
Will have to wait til i go to the states this summer i guess...sucks! -_-'
Uhm, 7444NA bulb is definitely harder to find and I was surprised I found it at local PepBoys. But I can see Amazon selling Eiko 7444NA, and eBay has it too. So it's really different up north in Canada then. You can always get it from Mazda dealers but I believe it cost something like $20 USD each!

Uhm, 7444NA bulb is definitely harder to find and I was surprised I found it at local PepBoys. But I can see Amazon selling Eiko 7444NA, and eBay has it too. So it's really different up north in Canada then. You can always get it from Mazda dealers but I believe it cost something like $20 USD each!

Wow! Never payin 20$ for that!

Is Eiko a good brand cuz I never heard of it.

I trust Philips

Back