The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Man.. the XB LED Fog lights from TRS is so tempting now.. $130 instead of $175 until June 20th using "HIDPXBLED"

Though I doubt it fits our fog light area without much modifications...

The XB fogs are sweet. The 5000K with an amber film looks killer too. When I get my next Mustang, I'll be getting a Cobra bumper(if it's not a Cobra to begin with) and fitting the XB LED fogs

Only had time today to install my rear V-led RED LED bulbs.

I got the right angle bulbs for the outer lights: LINK
With the white heatshrink wrap it makes for a tight fit in the socket, but they can take the extra push to get them in firmly. These bulbs have dual polarity so you can stick them in either way, of course you would want to stick them in so they angle outwards of course.
My3oXW7l.jpg

I received my set of red LEDs today. I think I'm going to return these side-firing pair you show above - the same 6-element red 194 LEDs do a much better job at filling up the rear side marker lights. I'll wind up with 2 pair of these:

fXopMebl.jpg

You are correct that the red LEDs behind a ruby lens makes for a much more saturated/vivid (and brighter) red light. My tail/stop lights look a bit pale in comparison. I guess I wait for a 4th of July sale and get the Triton lamps for stop/tail as well as the amber (no switchback needed).

I compared the wife's Camry Hybrid w/stock incandescent license plate bulbs side-by-side against the CX-5 with the LED 194-equivalent bulbs and the difference was striking.

So far I've converted all the interior bulbs, the backup, license plate, DRL and fog lights w/LEDs - all from VLED.

Last edited:
I received my set of red LEDs today. I think I'm going to return these side-firing pair you show above - the same 6-element red 194 LEDs do a much better job at filling up the rear side marker lights. I'll wind up with 2 pair of these:

fXopMebl.jpg

You are correct that the red LEDs behind a ruby lens makes for a much more saturated/vivid (and brighter) red light. My tail/stop lights look a bit pale in comparison. I guess I wait for a 4th of July sale and get the Triton lamps for stop/tail as well as the amber (no switchback needed).

I compared the wife's Camry Hybrid w/stock incandescent license plate bulbs side-by-side against the CX-5 with the LED 194-equivalent bulbs and the difference was striking.

So far I've converted all the interior bulbs, the backup, license plate, DRL and fog lights w/LEDs - all from VLED.
Keep us updated once you installed the Triton lamps. I installed the VLED DRL less based on your recommendation and link and I have been very happy with the bright light performance. Thanks.

So finally I got around to installing a pair of LED headlight bulbs purchased off eBay a couple weeks ago. Here is the link to the specs: LINK

Haven't gotten around to taking pictures as it's past midnight but I moved over to these LEDs from Morimoto XB35 HID (4300K)from TRS. This quest started when another vendor was selling H11 LED headlight bulbs. I was curious to see if LEDs are truly ready for prime time headlight duty. The bulbs fit in fairly easily (especially after you have tried installing HID bulbs on a non-tech). Took all of maybe 15 minutes to remove my HID kit and put in these LEDs. Pictures are pending (charging the camera currently).

Observations so far:
  • Light output against the wall is fairly close to HIDs
  • Pattern and cutoff is similar to the HIDs
  • It's nice to not have ballasts (or a relay) as everything is enclosed inside the heat sink behind the LED
  • The bulb is hefty, all surfaces I can see (besides the emitters) are metal
  • Documentation indicates the bulbs use Cree XM-L emitters (and they're bright)
  • The light output is indicated on the packaging as 6000K but it is whiter than most 6000K HID kits I've seen
  • Instant on to full brightness (whereas HIDs need to warm up)

Yet to determine:

• Throw distance of the headlight
  • Longevity/reliability of the bulbs
  • Glare
  • Ability to light up reflective signs and road markers

Definitely interested in pictures. I haven't seen any PnP LED headlights that are worth anything. Projectors are usually even tougher with LED because of the specific pattern required and LEDs directional light throw.

VLEDS is offering a 25% July 4th sale good on everything though July 6. I can taste some V3 Tritons coming to my mailbox soon...
Need tail/brake; rear amber turn signal and front turn signals. At that point I'm done - not a single filament-based bulb left in the car!

Sorry to say this thread has cost me $500+ so far but...
I have one dazzling CX-5! Of course, this time of year it's light out until after 9:30pm so not much of a chance to show off the CX-5 at night. I'm still amazed how good the stock 4300K HID headlights are. I'll probably never buy a car again with halogen headlights and I'm old enough to remember cars before halogens were available.

Ordered my V3 Tritons today from VLEDS w/the 25% July 4 discount. I didn't go switchbacks on the front turn signals - simply got the standard Triton amber bulbs. I run their 6K P13W LED for my Tech-equipped DRLs. Got the 5K H11 LEDs for the fogs since they're on with the headlights and match the color temp very well. My neighbor, an automobile tech, commented he liked the LED fogs when he saw me come back to the house the other night.

Last edited:
hi, I want to upgrade the abysmal stock cargo/trunk lights with LED. It's nearly impossible to see anything in there if there's no ambient lighting (probably good for drug deals but I'm not into that sport).

Can anyone categorically confirm whether the right LED is the 29mm or 31mm festoon? I've read the entire thread and owners have posted replacing it with either (I think the score is 3-2 if I'm not wrong).

cheers

hi, I want to upgrade the abysmal stock cargo/trunk lights with LED. It's nearly impossible to see anything in there if there's no ambient lighting (probably good for drug deals but I'm not into that sport).

Can anyone categorically confirm whether the right LED is the 29mm or 31mm festoon? I've read the entire thread and owners have posted replacing it with either (I think the score is 3-2 if I'm not wrong).

cheers

Officially I believe it's a 29mm festoon but you should be able to cram a 31mm bulb in there. I went with 29's for all my interior. A 5K bulb will appear brighter than a 6K but I went with all 6k on the interior as well as backup and license plate. I put 5K in for my fogs as I thought they matched up better with the 4300K HIDs (they do).

I'm now 100% tungsten free!

cheers

In the cargo area,I went with the a 5K 29mm.A 3175 will be a very tight fit with the switch.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...ed-high-output-dome-light-bulb-29mm-3022.html

I go with VLEDS LEDs.Expensive but quality.I've never had a problem using VLEDS in many years.
Waiting for an order of four 5K 3175 LEDs for maps and dome.Also a pair of these 5K fog LEDS that according to a review on VLEDS, these fog LEDs fit without any altering the lens shield.
I don't care about fog light output.I'm into matching the HIDs.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...te-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-h11-1-pair.html

Here's that review.

I just acquired a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with the factory HID headlights and fog lights. The HIDs have a nice (4300K) white color but the halogen fog lights simply looked dingy in comparison. H-11 bulbs normally have the end tip blacked out to prevent oncoming drivers from having to stare directly at the filament. The CX-5 fog light housing also has a metal end cap on an arm which is screwed into the reflector. Other retrofitted LED bulbs often have to have the end cap removed.

I was happy that these bulbs were a perfect fit and have a nice, white light which very closely matches the color temp of my HIDs. They are perhaps a bit brighter than the halogen bulbs and would be hideously bright if the fixture end cap didn't cover the 2 forward-firing LEDs behind a convex lens. All the light emitted from the fixture is from the 8 side-firing LEDs - exactly as a fog light is designed to do.

Absolutely no hassle install process. My initial satisfaction is very positive with these. (Posted on 5/31/14)

Last edited:
Anyone going to try these LED Fog Light by Philips? 2400 lumen.. possibly work for headlight also, not sure how long it will last though...
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H11-h8-h16-philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-bulbs-p/12834unix2-h11.htm

At $180/pair I think not. Not sure why you would ever need overly bright fogs. My VLEDs H-11 5K bulbs are rated 850 lumen and I think they're quite bright enough. I don't think 2400 lumen will cut it for general headlight use. Not sure what the output of my HIDs are but it's plenty.

At $180/pair I think not. Not sure why you would ever need overly bright fogs. My VLEDs H-11 5K bulbs are rated 850 lumen and I think they're quite bright enough. I don't think 2400 lumen will cut it for general headlight use. Not sure what the output of my HIDs are but it's plenty.

I agree on the overly bright fogs.
35W HID 4300K produces 3200 lumens.

Help a lazy old man out here. What part number and from what vendor do I order replacement led's to replace the fog light bulbs?

Hi, can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to replace the OEM position lights properly? I yanked out the OEM halogen bulbs and replaced them with these W5W LEDs from ebay: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

but they're either busted, or I don't know how to turn on the lights. I thought there were supposed to come on along with the headlights? I've tried all the various light options on the light stalk (auto, on, off etc) but those position lights won't turn on.

Help please!!

Hi, can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to replace the OEM position lights properly? I yanked out the OEM halogen bulbs and replaced them with these W5W LEDs from ebay: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

but they're either busted, or I don't know how to turn on the lights. I thought there were supposed to come on along with the headlights? I've tried all the various light options on the light stalk (auto, on, off etc) but those position lights won't turn on.

Help please!!
On the headlight stalk ,headlights,parking/city lights further down is the on and off switching for the fogs.
Put back the oem bulbs and see if they work.If so,it's the LEDs.Turn the LEDs and install.Polarity may be off.

Last edited:
Yeah, you probably have them in the wrong way round. Unplug, turn 180 degrees and re-insert.

Back