The Autocross Wheel Debate

If you AX in Austin, I assume your running with Spokes, the president Greg Ward (IMOK) will probably let you slide unless your consistently first place in stock class.

DallasP5 said:
If you AX in Austin, I assume your running with Spokes, the president Greg Ward (IMOK) will probably let you slide unless your consistently first place in stock class.
Oh, yessir! I already got the go ahead from Greg. :) He said no one cares at the local events; it's just at Nationals that they really get onto you. (boom07) hmmm....don't see myself going to Nationals anytime soon. :D

BTW, nice quote! Sayyyy, you prolly know what the website is for the autoX club in Dallas eh? I want to see if any of the events there dont coincide with Spokes'.

Which club, we've got 5 different clubs to run with ER, SCCA, S2K, BMW, or Porsche. Go Here to find out about what the DFW miatas are doing, we've always got someone running one of the events.

DallasP5 said:
Which club, we've got 5 different clubs to run with ER, SCCA, S2K, BMW, or Porsche. Go Here to find out about what the DFW miatas are doing, we've always got someone running one of the events.

you're over here too? Hi!

-Eric

I picked the brains of another top national Miata driver this weekend at the ProSolo, and he says that the 225/45-15 Hoosiers are much better than the 205/50-15 Hoosiers. Guess which size I had just purchased a set of? :mad: So the Hoosiers are the opposite of the ECSTAs, at least in this case.

Your competitors might not think so, but 1/2" wider wheel is probably worth more than the intake in terms of autocross performance...so that's a great trade-off (no intake for wider wheels) :)

Orthonormal said:
I picked the brains of another top national Miata driver this weekend at the ProSolo, and he says that the 225/45-15 Hoosiers are much better than the 205/50-15 Hoosiers. Guess which size I had just purchased a set of? :mad: So the Hoosiers are the opposite of the ECSTAs, at least in this case.
Oh RATS! Maybe they will trade your 205s for some 225s. ;)

Orthonormal said:
Your competitors might not think so, but 1/2" wider wheel is probably worth more than the intake in terms of autocross performance...so that's a great trade-off (no intake for wider wheels) :)
Think so? :) We'll see how they do...can't wait! (right now I am waiting for UPS to get here with my Konigs)

DallasP5 said:
Go Here to find out about what the DFW miatas are doing,
Just went and poked around a bit. I WISH the Tumbleweed Miata Club had so many members that autocrossed. In fact, I don't think ANY of our members do (except me). :( They more like to take trips to NM and go out to dinner together. meh, kool, but not enough action for me. :D

THEY'RE HERE!!!

Sorry, it's just exciting. My first "custom" wheel purchase. :D

They will have the tires mounted on them in a few hours!
Konig.jpg

And the digital scale weight...WOW!
Konig_weight.jpg

I had 225/50/15 Victos on my stock 15x6 96M wheels. Didn't like them. Too much size to get moving. The feel was sloppy and I never felt really comfortable on them.
I'm running in CSP. I now run Azenis in 205/50/15. Much better feel, and I'm winning again, even against guys on R tires :) Locally, it has more to do with driver than car I think. Tires are nice, but you have to be able to use them. I'm done with Rs. For the money, and less effort at events, Falken will be getting my money from now on.

That's great info dude. Thanks! I was actually considering going with th V700's, but decided not to because of sticker shock (~200$ more than going back with Azenis). I am confident that I will do just fine with some new Azenis given your information. :) Hell, the guy I bought my miata from placed 2nd in CS nationals with my car as it is with the Azenis. :D

Those are damn sexy.

Tidbit of useful/useless info: stock 15s for '99/'00/'01 weigh 11.8 lbs and allow you to run at least 205/50 Azenis.

I haven't auto-xed yet but in the local mountains the stock 195/50/15s with Potenza S03 have allowed me to keep up with cars with a larger available contact patch. Of course, being 800-1000 lbs lighter may have something to do with it.

In the mountains, driver skill takes over car specs. I've had my ass handed to me by a mid-90s Celica ST (FWD!), so...

Last edited:
KpaBap said:
Those are damn sexy.
Thanks! :) I bought them *just* for the lightweight at first. I didn't care what they looked like, but then the style grew on me and now I love em. :D

Tidbit of useful/useless info: stock 15s for '99/'00/'01 weigh 11.8 lbs and allow you to run at least 205/50 Azenis.
I disagree. check: http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html
my digital scale confirmed the 13lbs for all the 15" '99 wheels and also confirmed the 11lb weight of my new Konigs. Not even the 14" '99 wheels were as light as 11.8 lbs. (dunno)

I haven't auto-xed yet but in the local mountains the stock 195/50/15s with Potenza S03 have allowed me to keep up with cars with a larger available contact patch. Of course, being 800-1000 lbs lighter may have something to do with it.

In the mountains, driver skill takes over car specs. I've had my ass handed to me by a mid-90s Celica ST (FWD!), so...
i HIGHLY recommend Azenis. Best tire for the money as far as top grip street tires go!! A little less tire life, but it's WORTH it! :D

If road trips concern you, just do like me: have 3 sets of wheels: one for street tires(e.g. Yoko ES100s), one for high performance low-tread life sticky tires (e.g. Azenis) for "street practice", and one for your competition only tires (another set of Azenis for me, Victoracers when those wear out). :D

I am jealous of your mountains (bowdown) Lubbock is F-L-A-T!

I stand corrected.
Between the S03s that I have right now and Natey's Azenis, The LSD that I have vs. the open diff on his yata seems to more than make up for the difference in tire performance.

I used to have the ES100s and while they were nice, the difference between them and the S03s was like the difference between the crappy 60k all-seasons the car had when I first got it and the Yokos.

Last edited:
My ES100's are for highway trips only though, babes. ;)

But I KNOW what you mean! I got in Austin yesterday from my 6 hour drive from Lubbock. Once I got the trailer unhitched and went for a ride, I slid around a corner, totally forgetting I didn't have the Azenis strapped on! :eek: (lol2)

The Azenis are nice, but the S-03s are pretty darn good, too. They're maybe not quite as good on asphalt, but on concrete, the situation is reversed. The Azenis just don't like concrete, and the S-03s love it. For dual-purpose tires, I'd go with the Bridgestones every time. Longer lasting, better for heavy rain, and quieter. The word on the street about the new Goodyear Gs-D3 has got me intrigued.

Those wheels look familair! (burnout)

tbrake04.jpg

:)

event01-ban.jpg

They're definitely the best rim for the money! Check out my homepage for all the details :)

-Danny

Back