The 2012 H Stock Thread

You should see if your club offers a Road Tire FWD class. No matter what you do you will not be competitive in HS until you buy R-Compounds. RTF allows you to use high performance summer tires like the BFG Rival and Toyo R1R.

STF really isn't that bad, and participation is much better (at least in my region). Get tires, coilovers, and swaybars and you'll be regionally competitive.
The plan would be to eventually find a set of Miata BBS wheels to mount 205/50R15 Hoosier A6's so I'm not too concerned about having to run r-compounds. My 2 is my daily driver and while I don't mind coilovers, etc. I do drive my wife and 7 month-old son around a lot and I don't think they'd appreciate them. I figure with H Stock the only "permanent" mods would be the rear "swaybar" and adjustable struts. Everything else can be easily removed for daily driving. The mods allowed in STF are much more comprehensive and I feel I wouldn't be competitive unless I make the car less roadworthy and my RX-7 already fills that void. I'll checkout the Cinci SCCA a little more to see what classes they run.

The plan would be to eventually find a set of Miata BBS wheels to mount 205/50R15 Hoosier A6's so I'm not too concerned about having to run r-compounds. My 2 is my daily driver and while I don't mind coilovers, etc. I do drive my wife and 7 month-old son around a lot and I don't think they'd appreciate them. I figure with H Stock the only "permanent" mods would be the rear "swaybar" and adjustable struts. Everything else can be easily removed for daily driving. The mods allowed in STF are much more comprehensive and I feel I wouldn't be competitive unless I make the car less roadworthy and my RX-7 already fills that void. I'll checkout the Cinci SCCA a little more to see what classes they run.

Coilovers can be comfortable, but I understand your stance on wanting to stick with a stock class.

However, your OEM dampers will not like R-Comps after a couple of events, and finding aftermarket dampers will be difficult, but not impossible (I know there is solutions for the rear, however I couldn't find anything worthwhile for the front)

I'm only trying to steer you out of Stock/RT because the car really isn't competitive at all in those classes. I went to 1 event classed in RTF and got blown away by civics and mazda 3's. Next event I entered the car bone stock in STF and I won because I'm classed against similar power cars.

Just because your car isn't prepped to the rules of STF doesn't mean you can't run in it.

There is also those rumblings that a 2 on R-Comps with stock suspension will significantly increase rollover risk, however the SCCA believes that the CG is within limits and hasn't put the 2 on the Stock Exclusion List yet.

Coilovers can be comfortable, but I understand your stance on wanting to stick with a stock class.
I understand they can. Especially the bottom-of-the-line ones like BC, etc. The problem is if I wanted to be competitive I'd have to go very stiff on the springrate to the point where no amount of damping would make it comfortable on the street.

However, your OEM dampers will not like R-Comps after a couple of events, and finding aftermarket dampers will be difficult, but not impossible (I know there is solutions for the rear, however I couldn't find anything worthwhile for the front)
I was under the impression Corksport's adjustable dampers were available. From their description it sounds like you can adjust them to achieve stock-like damping so it wouldn't be too hard to memorize two settings for street and autox.

I'm only trying to steer you out of Stock/RT because the car really isn't competitive at all in those classes. I went to 1 event classed in RTF and got blown away by civics and mazda 3's. Next event I entered the car bone stock in STF and I won because I'm classed against similar power cars.

Just because your car isn't prepped to the rules of STF doesn't mean you can't run in it.
My first few events would be with a completely stock car so I'll test the waters then. I'm not active with the local SCCA branch so I don't know what the makeup of cars is. Either way, I don't see being consistently competitive in STF without a fully prepped car.

There is also those rumblings that a 2 on R-Comps with stock suspension will significantly increase rollover risk, however the SCCA believes that the CG is within limits and hasn't put the 2 on the Stock Exclusion List yet.
I wasn't aware of this but I suppose it makes sense. I would think the use of R-Comps without the aid of a stiffer rear torsion beam would result in the most risk. I'll keep my eyes open for any changes to the exclusion list.

Thanks...i have car a.d.h.d. every year and a half..but its always a mazda (unless I get another mustang)

Back