That Damn Fuel Gauge..

syrpro5

I made a nice day trip yesterday, I went almost 130 miles before I fueled up. I Filled it up, and now the guage sits before the full mark. Before yesterday it would always be over that mark.

I searched the forums and have seen this is a common problem. I have an extra year Bumper to bumper warrenty, do you think the dealer will tell me "everythings fine" or that they'll fix it??

Or have any of you guys found a fix?

Thanks!

syrpro5 said:
I made a nice day trip yesterday, I went almost 130 miles before I fueled up. I Filled it up, and now the guage sits before the full mark. Before yesterday it would always be over that mark.

I searched the forums and have seen this is a common problem. I have an extra year Bumper to bumper warrenty, do you think the dealer will tell me "everythings fine" or that they'll fix it??

Or have any of you guys found a fix?

Thanks!

I've found a fix.. I drive a couple miles then I look down and it's up at the normal level. Does yours stay that low even after driving?

mine falls pretty linear.....every once in a while it takes a little while to show that it has been filled. i think it has to do with not turning the car off when it is filled sometimes....????

my jetta never seems to fill all the way with the fuel guage and you can't put much in once the pump clicks off......the mazda i can crank another gallon or so in......

ottawaP5 said:
I notice the gauge sits at F for a long time then starts dropping fast.
Yeah I think the needle is pegged at the top for the first gallon or so. I've noticed this in other cars too though.

nope, not on a hill. I actually used enough gas yesterday to drop it to 1/4 of a tank. It's first time, since I purchased the car. Usually it was always a half tank and over.

No change when driving a while. When I filled it up yesterday I drove for another 20 minutes, and no change. Then I drove home w/o filling it back up.. (130 MI) and no change. I filled it when I got home, which at this point was around the 1/2 mark, and it filled to the same point :(. At that point I started getting concerned with this.

Could this be something else? Something to do with the senging unit? or Pump?

It's only a little problem, but it's driving me insane already.

Last edited:
Well zverg was right. I'm starting too see it rise a bit more. After driving it about 50 miles or so. I think the sending unit wasn't used to the decrease in fuel, since I never let it go below 1/2 tank. And when it did, the "bobber" (whatever) took some more time rising.

Thanks to all who helped. This taught me not to jump the Gun on problems.

Wow 50 miles or so.. when mine does it it's definitely only 2-4 miles. Oh well, if you want to say I was right, I won't deny it :) :)

Is the gauge supposed to be linear? The major marks aren't equally spaced. There is a big mark at 1/2 tank, but the 1/4 and 3/4 marks are closer to the extremes (empty and full).

My fuel guage is pretty accurate.

I'm getting about 10 km per Litre of fuel so I know pretty much how much I need to fill up with.

the strangest thing happened when i filled up friday after work......

i filled up and my guage stopped at 3/4 full and stayed there for a while. it finally went up to full after 35 mins.....

i must have jinxed myself when replying last friday.....

-R

ITS A FACT. OUR GAUGES SUCK. ive gone nearly a hundred miles and it still hadnt come off of full. other times i will drive 30-40 miles and it drops between full and 3/4 full. as for the markers they are representative of equal amounts left in the tank. when i fill up the amount that goes in corresponds with my calcualted mileage. its just our guages arent consistent. PITA

Back