Test drove the 2014 Mazda6 Sport (slight disappoint in performance) with 6AT

I know I am a first time poster here, so take my review for what its worth. Because their are other detailed reviews on here, I will be as short as possible. Again, no offense to anyone who has this model and or transmission, I am just basing it off my test drive experience.

Good: Comfy interior, plenty of room inside the car and the trunk, touchscreen on the radio is user friendly, dash is easy to read. The backup camera is one of the niftiest features on this vehicle that really catches my eye. Handles well in turns and feels natural to drive.

Bad: Was expecting more from the engine and transmission combo. After recently driving a cx5 with the same transmission and a mazda 3 skyactiv w/6 speed manual, this car felt underpowered compared to the mazda 3. Very delayed shifts in auto mode, manual mode only makes the car more tolerable to drive. Again, I am comparing it to an lx accord sport with a 6 speed manual, so it felt very underpowered compared to the accord.

To be fair, I will retest the sport or touring model with the skyactiv manual transmission(really what I am looking for). Beyond that, I am looking more towards the diesel with skyactiv combo coming out in July/August(SALES(Take it for what its worth) told me they are being produced in Japan in May, and would take two months to deliver to the united states).

Yeah, hard to compare auto v. manuals, look forward to a review when you get into a manual, but is the Accord a V6 with more HP and torque? 2.5 Sky will please most casual drivers who don't really care about extra power, but for those craving more reserve power on tap, I hear the diesel won't disappoint and is the way to go.

Accord Sport is 4-cylinder - a pretty strong one. Car and Driver tested it at 6.6 seconds - which is quite fast. Let's see what C/D will achieve with a Mazda6 manual. The main gripes from me are the lack of split fold down seats in the Accord and the lack of colors. Let's wait to see.

What is the EPA for the Accord though? Is it going to be close to the 38 MPG that the 6 and the Altima have reached?

Drove a 2013 tdi passat with the 6 speed manual yesterday. Very impressed with the power and torque of the diesel for such a little engine. Resisting the urge to buy and wait for Mazda to unleash their diesel in the 6.

The CVT Accord 4-Cylinder is rated at 27 city/36 highway/30 combined.
Altima CVT 4-Cylinder is rated at 27 city/38 highway/31 combined.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33269&id=32611&id=33400

So, I guess now we will have to see how the real world mpg's bare out on the Civic, Altima, and 6. I know the Skyactiv 3 has outperformed it's 40 mpg's highway rating. Consumer Reports got 45 highway mpg's out of it, I wonder what the test variables were like to get that. Motor Trend also had a comparison on the high efficiency models of the compact car segment, and honda, toyota, and ford, did ok on real world mpg's, but they said that the skyactiv 3 was the closest from real world to EPA ratings. I do know from personal experience that the 3 does achieve better than advertised highway mpg's. So if the 2.5 skyactiv is anything like the 2.0 which is in the 3, the 6 should do better than 38 on the highway. It wouldn't surprise me if it can get 40 mpg's on the highway.

Also, when the turbo charge diesel comes out later this year, the power will be a mute point, and the mpg's will be in the mid to high 40's for highway. So really that is the way to go for both power and fuel efficiency. Not to mention that from the Base Sports model to the grand Touring Model, the 6 is cheaper than both the Accord or the Altima.

Last edited:
I test drove one the other day, the dash indicated anywhere from 42-49 MPG at a steady 60 MPH, not much wind, but not flat ground either. I really liked the car. Felt much better power wise than the AWD CX-5 2.0 I drove on the same loop.

I did a short test drive with a Sport AT. It felt pretty good, although not long enough to really figure out the level of noise or level of handling compared to the Accord. The manual mode works well, something not all other sedans offer. Passing was easy in M mode. I think one has to stomp the gas a bit harder in D mode.

Size wise, I have to say the Accord definitely feels a lot bigger inside. However the non-split folding rear seat is a deal killer.

It was also nice to have the push button start and HD radio compared to Accord Sport.

the accord sport MT is uncanny fast for a 4cyl, 0-60 in mid sixes, compared to the mazda with auto that does it in about 7.8, which imo is still quick for a 4 cyl car, especially an auto. at least its an auto and not a CVT, those are even more boring. But if you consider a manual you should just stick with one, as i can see you will test later this year

The Accord Sport (with the manual) is much faster than most other family sedans, and when comparing family sedans, the manual will ALWAYS be faster.

Wait till you can drive a manual model, then make your verdicts. Or drive an automatic Accord Sport; it will be much slower than the manual-equipped model.

Hopefully will be driving a sport MT tomorrow at the dealership. I seen they have one in their inventory. Will update once I test drive the vehicle!

Hi All,

I have driven a few flavours of the new 6, all MT. The last one was a 2 day demo of the Sport 150bhp saloon diesel. Not quite the engine i was looking to test drive but then i wasnt told it was the 150bhp model until after driving it.

Having currently got the 185bhp 2.2 diesel MK2 Sport hatch myself i felt the new mazda was similar performing but pethaps needibg to be pushed harder up the rev range to get that similar ish performancr i was used to. When i found the car was in fact lacking 25bhp i was impressed. It should mean the new 6 175bhp diesel is potentially a touch nippier still.

Enjoyable car to drive nonetheless. Shame the safety pack is optional though :(

Got mine on order and due at some point next week, in Meteor Grey :)

Car was a blast to drive(Sport MT). Shifts are buttery smooth. This is possibly thee best transmission I have driven beyond the s2000's 6 speed gearbox or the 12-13 si gearbox. Very responsive, real good in traffic. If the diesel wasn't coming out this year, I would have bought this car in the Touring trim already. Definitely recommend for a daily driver!

Car was a blast to drive(Sport MT). Shifts are buttery smooth. This is possibly thee best transmission I have driven beyond the s2000's 6 speed gearbox or the 12-13 si gearbox. Very responsive, real good in traffic. If the diesel wasn't coming out this year, I would have bought this car in the Touring trim already. Definitely recommend for a daily driver!

Pretty good compliment from a Honda guy. So far all local dealers have are automatics. Hope to see a 6mt soon.

A week and counting til I get mine. Would never go for auto personally and the fact its more expensive than manual transmission makes it a no brainer for me

Back