Test drove a MS3

who cares if the tires break loose or not? is that really an indicator of performance? or just that the tires aren't up for the job?

Sometime this car is a beast and other times it just doesn't have it. The only thing I can think of that changes is the temperature and not so much the temp outside but the temp that the intercooler is at.

I bet that thing gets really heat soaked being top mounted. I've looked into ways of cooling it, but none of them are very efficient. The only other option I've thought of would be alco/meth injection, but that is guaranteed to void my warrantee and thats not what I want to do right now.

Gmac
This car (and all forced injection cars) is very sensitive to changes it atmospheric conditions. Temperature, pressure, humidity... the car will be a beast one day and just sorta fast the next because of these things.

It happens. It's just something we have to deal with.

It's probably not heat soak on a test drive. It really takes a while to heat soak an intercooler, you've gotta be running it hard for a while for it to happen.

i traded a 06 MX5 for my MS3. if you did not notice a humongous difference in power, i betcha someone slipped you a downer, or two, or three!!

Are you sure you were revving it enough? Maybe you're used to a lower-revving engine like a V8?

You don't need to get near redline, but things get most interesting in 3rd or 4th around 4-5,000. The power does seem fickle sometimes, but you should be able to spin the wheels easily from a stop.

Sometime this car is a beast and other times it just doesn't have it. The only thing I can think of that changes is the temperature and not so much the temp outside but the temp that the intercooler is at.

I bet that thing gets really heat soaked being top mounted. I've looked into ways of cooling it, but none of them are very efficient. The only other option I've thought of would be alco/meth injection, but that is guaranteed to void my warrantee and thats not what I want to do right now.

Gmac

it's a turbo car. My 1.8T GIAC GTI was the same way. Hammer it from the start and it flies....hammer it from halfway through a gear and it's just not the same.

This car (and all forced injection cars) is very sensitive to changes it atmospheric conditions. Temperature, pressure, humidity... the car will be a beast one day and just sorta fast the next because of these things.

It happens. It's just something we have to deal with.

It's probably not heat soak on a test drive. It really takes a while to heat soak an intercooler, you've gotta be running it hard for a while for it to happen.

I honestly could not deal with it. I think it would irk me to no end and I'd always think there was something wrong with my car.

Both my NA Sentra SE and my turbocharged SE-R used to do this. I had the ECU in my SE-R reprogrammed to run a turbo by someone who really knows about these computers. He said that Nissan (and most car companies) uses 2 separate programs to run the engine. The main program backs out timing and adds more fuel if the ECU detects certain conditions like high temps, etc. But if those conditions persist, the ECU switches to a more conservative program and it stills retards timing if needed.
So he made the 2 programs the same, made the rad fans turn on at 203F instead of 212F, and he programmed the ECU so it wasn't over sensitive to retard timing. After that my car ran the same everytime, except when driving it hard in very hot weather.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I have no such issue. Yeah in the morning it feels a little quicker and heat does play a role like in any car, but when I ask it for performance, I get it. It has yet to let me down. I think some of it is driving habit. If you drive all day like an old lady, the ecu might adjust and not respond as quick. I keep the revs between 3-4k so it's always ready for when I stomp on it. Another thing is gear selection. Something as simple as being in too high a gear for the situation can make the car seem sluggish as the engine has to work too hard.

Temps will range from 15 degrees C to 35 degrees C over the course of a day in the Ottawa valley, and one day it'll be 0% humidity, the next closer to 90%. Performance can really vary because of conditions here.

Both my NA Sentra SE and my turbocharged SE-R used to do this. I had the ECU in my SE-R reprogrammed to run a turbo by someone who really knows about these computers. He said that Nissan (and most car companies) uses 2 separate programs to run the engine. The main program backs out timing and adds more fuel if the ECU detects certain conditions like high temps, etc. But if those conditions persist, the ECU switches to a more conservative program and it stills retards timing if needed.
So he made the 2 programs the same, made the rad fans turn on at 203F instead of 212F, and he programmed the ECU so it wasn't over sensitive to retard timing. After that my car ran the same everytime, except when driving it hard in very hot weather.

Calum? JWT?

I have a 99 G20, that i'm finishing the tune on via Emanage. It is such a pain in the ass, at times I wish I went with a reprogrammed/reflashed ECU.

Gmac

What I liked most about this thread was the maturity of the answers here.
Saying what the OP said in NASIOC for example, talking about the wrx, would have been such a disaster and getting flamed big time, but here....didnt happen.

:D

Back